• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Okay, I added athaxto to the PL. That's gotta be a record for quickest journey to the PL. I don't see how it can be beat.

I didn't realize that setting a Speed record was a positive thing for the PL. I actually almost removed that PL entry but did my own digging first and found this in the sales thread that started it all:

I found a cheaper copy available on here today, so as a consumer I made the purchase I wanted to make. I didn't know that was wrong. Even in my messages to Hulk, I let him know I was minutes away from buying a more expensive copy. Again, I was simply shopping and not looking to hurt anyone's feelings as I certainly did not know you all were so familiar.

To me the part I emboldened (that is, to make appear in a bold text) is the key. It appears the transaction was still going on when he joined and, as a member, decided to cancel that transaction and go for another, less expensive copy. I consider this a fair interpretation of the existing rules. I was happy to see in in Athaxto's own words.

Just curious. How would he go about getting off the list? If he offers to buy the book from the guy he was going to in the first place and that guy refuses to sell him the book... (shrug)

Just curious. How would he go about getting off the list? If he offers to buy the book from the guy he was going to in the first place and that guy refuses to sell him the book... (shrug)

Hush, you, the pitchfork and torch crowd has already spoken! rantrant

lol

lol

It's a reasonable question. We've had a few PL nominations get sidetracked because of this concern, coming from me and others. But someone (I forget who) pointed out that we were perhaps getting ahead of ourselves...that we should wait for the nominated person to show a desire to make right before we worried about what recourse they'd have to do so. That sounded reasonable to me then and it still does now.

Saying one of them wasn't a Boardie yesterday but is today? Seems silly to me.

I am really surprised to hear that from you, Speeds. The whole purpose of the PL was to protect the community from Transactions Gone Bad between boardies. It is like someone getting arrested with drugs, having a court date set, then joining a religion that allows those drugs and claiming freedom of religion.

Silly or not, it is what it is. And as I have said here many times now, if someone wants to head up a project to help change the PL/HOS rules please let them step up and organize it properly.

Make initial suggestions. Solicit suggestions. Monitor them. Then eliminate the chat etc. and post the first round of suggestions. Wait for responses and more suggestions. Eliminate the chat and post the next round of changes and any new suggestions. Do this several times.

Then re-word the rules and post the new rules for the group reactions. Discuss the suggestions that will come out of that and re-write. Post again. Do that a few times then come up with a final list and a poll. (The poll may have to be done more than once as minor changes get incorporated and new suggestions make their way in.)

(thumbs u

I'm full of surprises (or full of something). :acclaim:

This issue feels like a technicality to me, and one that would only serve to keep someone off the PL who's still in the process of doing a Boardie wrong, which is exactly what the PL is for. I guess this is the language in question, yes?

d) A Transaction between board members is not confined to the CGC Message Boards. Any transaction between forum members, regardless of the venue, is eligible for inclusion in the PL.

It doesn't specifically say that both parties must be board members at the time of the transaction. It's a quite reasonable interpretation, but it doesn't actually spell it out. I'd be happy not to go through a lengthy revision process yet again 'cuz I think that's 100% unnecessary. I think I'm following the spirit and the letter of the process by including athaxto...but if others really think we should give him a pass because he wasn't a board member at the time of the eBay deal, I'll abide by that and remove my post adding him to the PL.

This is what happens when the old guard grow bored of the silliness and let anyone and everyone put people on the list for anything.

Since POV stepped away from this mess the PL and HOS has become less and less credible. Now if a member farts sideways there are calls for the PL and HOS.

If the list gets to be 6 pages long it becomes worthless. It should be meant as a last resort.

This is what happens when the old guard grow bored of the silliness and let anyone and everyone put people on the list for anything.

Since POV stepped away from this mess the PL and HOS has become less and less credible. Now if a member farts sideways there are calls for the PL and HOS.

If the list gets to be 6 pages long it becomes worthless. It should be meant as a last resort.

Not really.

lol

Right? That Comix4fun fellow is just not going to last on here for long.

(:

That buyer/non-buyer is really a unique situation. I don't think I have seen a situation like this before.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of the amount he would have "saved" buying the cheaper book donated to a charity.

+1 (thumbs u

Somewhere in the neighborhood of the amount he would have "saved" buying the cheaper book donated to a charity.

That's a pretty good idea...as long as there would be some way to verify the donation.

That's a pretty good idea...as long as there would be some way to verify the donation.

It's been done before.

Flaming Telepath had someone donate funds to a good cause to make up for a transaction they had not followed through on long after the book was sold. It was a great form of restitution outside of paying for the original book.

Okay, I added athaxto to the PL. That's gotta be a record for quickest journey to the PL. I don't see how it can be beat.

I didn't realize that setting a Speed record was a positive thing for the PL. I actually almost removed that PL entry but did my own digging first and found this in the sales thread that started it all:

I found a cheaper copy available on here today, so as a consumer I made the purchase I wanted to make. I didn't know that was wrong. Even in my messages to Hulk, I let him know I was minutes away from buying a more expensive copy. Again, I was simply shopping and not looking to hurt anyone's feelings as I certainly did not know you all were so familiar.

To me the part I emboldened (that is, to make appear in a bold text) is the key. It appears the transaction was still going on when he joined and, as a member, decided to cancel that transaction and go for another, less expensive copy. I consider this a fair interpretation of the existing rules. I was happy to see in in Athaxto's own words.

However, in Athaxto's defense, that statement does not imply that there has been acceptance on his part.

People kick tires all the time.

As a seller, I have sent lots of invoices, requested by the buyer, which have ultimately never been paid.

I have been getting caught up on all this, and rather than lament the n00b stupidity, I would like to celebrate the great buyers and sellers here. It does get out of control sometimes, but there are more great books and more ready buyers here than you can shake a stick at. Kudos to the marketplace. It is probably going to keep growing and getting crazier, but the core is pure awesomeness.

However, in Athaxto's defense, that statement does not imply that there has been acceptance on his part.

People kick tires all the time.

As a seller, I have sent lots of invoices, requested by the buyer, which have ultimately never been paid.

Again, using your example, I never signed the contract. If I had accepted the PayPal invoice only to then cancel it, THEN there might be a contract issue there to be upset about.

But I never accepted his PayPal invoice, no money was sent, no book was ever sold to me, thus no deal was formally struck.

I work in contracts all day long.

I agree about tire kicking but I am not sure how a PayPal invoice got to Athaxto unless he requested one, I don't see how that is different than posting :takeit: , getting an invoice and then deciding not to go through with it. The PL covers completed transactions as well as promises to complete a transaction.

I will say this was not the best nomination or putting on the list I've seen. More facts up front with time frames of the various events is what should be happening.

I will say this was not the best nomination or putting on the list I've seen. More facts up front with time frames of the various events is what should be happening.

So stick around and guide the process. What, do we have to pay you to hang out here more?

hm

:idea:

So stick around and guide the process. What, do we have to pay you to hang out here more?

hm

:idea:

:takeit: