• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I've caught other board members manipulating GPA more times than I like to think about. I've made purchases, set prices and made recommendations based on bad GPA data.

I'm not a social scientist, and math is not my strong point, but it might be interesting to know from trained statisticians just how "significant" the findings reported in GPA are as against the pool of sales, or the samples, from which they are derived.

GPA churns out the data analysis without any context of what is a significant sample of data. If there are grounds for believing that the pool of data is itself manipulated, than significance on any level becomes doubtful, if not meaningless.

Is it true that GPA does not include Clink sales data? Is GPA collected only from Ebay and Heritage?

GPA doesn't include Comiclink data because Clink wanted to pick & choose which data to submit.

GPA gets info from a variety of sources, though - Pedigree, Heritage, eBay, ComicConnect, etc. I believe a bunch of the larger dealers submit data to them too.

Those that do not think it is worthy of HOS or PL are just :screwy: There has to be a way to warn people of guys like this. Not that it matters because he will just wait a while and sell under his new name. Hopefully boardies pick up on it when they send payment.

Obviously you see both sides of the argument though - I honestly don't have strong feelings about whether or not they go on the PL, HoS or nothing, because sadly I don't think it makes a difference.

First of all, many people don't check these lists at all. Secondly, the people that are on them (certainly those in the HoS) are very unlikely to try and sell under the same board IDs anyway. And then you have solarcadet, who has conclusively proved that even if you do use the same ID, it doesn't stop you doing deals.

Until such a time as being on these lists means something concrete - i.e. being banned from the site, having a HoS custom title, automatic warning when the member posts a sales thread or attempts to buy - it's not going to be effective. And I think the mods have been pretty clear that's not going to happen.

Setting out what they did or what they tried to do in detail is better, because then it lets people know what to watch out for. Those reading this thread and the sales discussion thread probably get an idea, but it's not easy for newer boardies.

And then you have solarcadet, who has conclusively proved that even if you do use the same ID, it doesn't stop you doing deals.

He deals in a small circle of friends, one that wasn't going to be affected by us anyway.

But let him try to start a public sales thread. He tried once before and knows how that ended up.

-slym

Those that do not think it is worthy of HOS or PL are just :screwy: There has to be a way to warn people of guys like this. Not that it matters because he will just wait a while and sell under his new name. Hopefully boardies pick up on it when they send payment.

The PL requires a nomination from one of the affected parties. I think both of them would easily be on that list.

As for HOS I still can't wrap my head around a HOS nomination for shilling. For the 2nd guy all it takes is the right phone call and he'll be in cuffs. I would support HOS for him if he tries something else or tries this a 2nd time.

Obviously you see both sides of the argument though - I honestly don't have strong feelings about whether or not they go on the PL, HoS or nothing, because sadly I don't think it makes a difference.

First of all, many people don't check these lists at all. Secondly, the people that are on them (certainly those in the HoS) are very unlikely to try and sell under the same board IDs anyway. And then you have solarcadet, who has conclusively proved that even if you do use the same ID, it doesn't stop you doing deals.

Balham's Finest,

You prove my point.

Changing my user ID would look like I am trying to hide and clearly someone would figure it out. Im not shilling or publicly selling. The ones that buy or trade with me knows i am on HOS and still do deals. I am not a dealer trying to shill and drive up prices and make an extra buck.

HOS and it's lack there of stigma is diluted due to (Non-HOS)shillers openly operating like Symbi. Im curious why the mods let him continue to do that

Balham's Finest,

You prove my point.

Changing my user ID would look like I am trying to hide and clearly someone would figure it out. Im not shilling or publicly selling. The ones that buy or trade with me knows i am on HOS and still do deals. I am not a dealer trying to shill and drive up prices and make an extra buck.

HOS and it's lack there of stigma is diluted due to (Non-HOS)shillers openly operating like Symbi. Im curious why the mods let him continue to do that

It's also diluted, at least partly, by you posting things like "ner ner ner, you can't do anything to me - look, I'm still doing deals", and "the HoS is meaningless to me" etc.

I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea.

And then you have solarcadet, who has conclusively proved that even if you do use the same ID, it doesn't stop you doing deals.

He deals in a small circle of friends, one that wasn't going to be affected by us anyway.

But let him try to start a public sales thread. He tried once before and knows how that ended up.

^This^

The HOS is not going to stop his friends from dealing with him. But good luck starting a public sales thread or trying to :takeit: in someone else's.

Solarcadet sales thread: akhoiw.gif

Im curious why the mods let him continue to do that

We are all curious about why the mods let you do what you do.

:)

-slym

just contact the mods I am sure they can assist you.

Go San Antonio Spurs!

-Solar

just contact the mods I am sure they can assist you.

Go San Antonio Spurs!

-Solar

Same back to you, pal - contact the mods with your question, why dontcha?

-slym

-slym

Hasn't it been established that the mods do not interfere with marketplace stuff? I'm guessing solarcadet1 gets a pass because mods won't get in the middle of it.

Hello,

I just recently logged on to the boards after being gone for about 9 months. I had one outstanding deal pending and it turns out that the buyer never received the book. After seeing his message, I immediately asked him to contact me asap so we could sort it out but, I haven't received a response yet and the message has been read. Prior to this incident (which landed me on the probation list) I bought and sold many books on here and never had any issues. Sorry for rambling a bit and I apologize if this is not the correct place to post this but in short, where do I go from here? Thank You

In my opinion you made the right first step. You came here and admitted that you made a mistake and want to fix it. You said that you typed the offended party, so I would give them a chance to respond and see what can be done. They may have checked the message at work or something and will respond later.

In my opinion you made the right first step. You came here and admitted that you made a mistake and want to fix it. You said that you typed the offended party, so I would give them a chance to respond and see what can be done. They may have checked the message at work or something and will respond later.

Yes, this is definitely on me. I did indeed send out the package but, it never made it over the border from what I can tell nor can anybody locate it. As the seller I feel obligated to make this right and although it wasn't intentional, I feel that the buyer should be reimbursed. Anyway, I hope to hear from him and re-join the community!

Looks like rayjay77 was the nominating party? Unfortunately, aside from two posts in the PIF thread 2 weeks ago, he left the Boards in November saying he was getting out of collecting for awhile and looked to be trying sell his entire collection.

What happens in the situation where the nominating party leaves the Boards, but the person the PL is trying to make things right? (shrug)

The issue stems from an issue in the OKC Tornado charity thread. Tibex82 posted a book for sale for $10 plus $10.66 for shipping. rayjay sent the money to the charity and also to rayjay77 for shipping. My suggestion would be to wait 3 days to see if the poster responds and works with him to get him off. If after 3 days he hasn't tibex82 should donate $21 to the Red Cross and that would be good enough to come off the PL. Thoughts from others?