• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

So a guy placed a :takeit: in my sales thread for Deadly Class Eh Variants and edited his post two days later, removing the :takeit:

After I pointed it out to him he said he was getting the same books from a different source. I than shut down that difference source and he said he would make right on the original :takeit:

I don't want to sell books to this guy. Ever.

So I'm assuming that since he said he will pay for the books I can't put him on the PL and have no further recourse?

While he may be a scumbag you don't want to deal with, I don't think it's probation worthy.

If this isn't PL worthy what is?? Why do we even have this list?

It's totally probation worthy. The problem is, there's got to be a way to get off the PL for the guy. That would force Jimmy to take his payment and ship him his books. If he offers to do that and Jimmy refuses he comes off the list. Since Jimmy doesn't want to deal with him, since he's threatened to scam Jimmy, he could put him on the list but then he'd come right off when he offered to pay.

Jimmy's better off not dealing with him at all, and he knows that. He's certainly a wild card but the way the PL list works Jimmy would be forced to deal with him in order to follow the protocol. That's a bad idea for Jimmy.

That makes sense - I see now

It has been discussed many times that the way for one to get off the list doesn't have to be agreed with by the other who put them on there as it could be used as blackmail in a sense. I would rather see Jimmy nominate him for his shenanigans (as it puts a record of it) and have a way for him to get off ie. donation to a charity (which in this case is the best option) as it doesn't have the possibility to impact Jimmy with the scam. Which IMO is almost enough to warrant a HOS nomination as a dirty thieving .

Glad it worked out to your mutual satisfaction. The best possible outcome.

Are you going to claim a fee? :)

I was hoping I'd be able to get a slightly stained JIM 83 at a discount. :sorry:

Clever sir...very clever hm

Cool Books!! :acclaim:

That should be the secret call sign to get into the local sushi dinners :idea:

So a guy placed a :takeit: in my sales thread for Deadly Class Eh Variants and edited his post two days later, removing the :takeit:

After I pointed it out to him he said he was getting the same books from a different source. I than shut down that difference source and he said he would make right on the original :takeit:

So I'm assuming that since he said he will pay for the books I can't put him on the PL and have no further recourse?

If I'm reading this right a guy backed out of a deal with you because he was going to buy from someone else (which is definitely wrong).

But then you retaliated by shutting down the other seller? Is that guy pissed at you? And now you are nominating the buyer for the PL? So you've now pissed off two guys over a deal? Huh, congrats on that. Hope it works out for you.

:news:

Dan and I have reached a deal. I am purchasing the book in a new arrangement that is agreeable to us both.

I would like to publicly apologize to Dan. His integrity as a dealer should not be put into question. His willingness to work with me on this new deal demonstrates he is also a stand up guy.

Personally, I have learned a lot from this ordeal. I will be more careful with future large transaction purchases. I hope my favorite sellers will continue to sell to me. My checks don't bounce !

Thanks for all the insightful discussion. I appreciate the fact that nothing got too personal. Also, Iawyers are now my favorite Boardies (lol).

Thanks everyone. Love these boards.

---Bob

Bob made good on his deal, and that's all I could ask for. If anyone has seen Bob's collection, this book should fit in nicely!

:applause:

Not sure if I need to, but I officially withdraw my request for Bob to be placed on ANY lists, and Thank him for working with me :foryou:

If I'm reading this right a guy backed out of a deal with you because he was going to buy from someone else (which is definitely wrong).

But then you retaliated by shutting down the other seller? Is that guy pissed at you? And now you are nominating the buyer for the PL? So you've now pissed off two guys over a deal? Huh, congrats on that. Hope it works out for you.

I believe there were also threats of the "I know where you live and work, see you soon" variety aimed at Jimmy. I can't blame him for not wanting anything to do with a crazy person. There was also some talk of chocolate poo love and sodium intake. lol

Well thats where it gets hilarious. I work for three comic book stores. One of those stores was the one he contacted trying to secure copies. He didn't put money down he was just told he would be contacted later in the week to confirm the order. He gave his address and phone number.

I was the one who would have had to confirm the order, so I had the order cancelled.

He than told me he was going to come to the store and fight me - told me he had my address and other hilarious things to which I replied, "please bring soft lubricant because I have sensitive skin".

Edited by Jimmy Linguiniii

Not sure why Dan is getting some flack from some people. Doesn't make sense why some people should make it personal with him and get upset and start accusing him of one thing or another. just because his post count is this vs that or you had a bad deal, move on, this isn't about you. Bob and him seem to be discussing via PM so lets see where that goes.

Some folks might be making it personal because Dan has made it personal by nominating Bob for the probation thread, in essence questioning his personal integrity. The post count thing is stupid, but the overall tone of this discussion comes down to a set of circumstances that could have, and would have easily been resolved if the transaction had taken place between any buyer and a seller who has a less rigid relationship with their inventory and their customer. Offering any book up sight unseen, and then saying "no returns" may be the norm on eBay or from folks less experienced with conducting large deals (I'm sure Dan has sold his fair share of big books, he has had some incredible stuff). But in the long run that policy will come back to bite the seller on the butt because it invariably leads to disagreements. And the last thing any professional seller wants to do is create animosity with his customer base, even if the customer may be partially culpable. I've had buyers back out on deals for much more specious reasons then this, including a few here on the boards. If I nominated those guys for the probation thread we would possibly have a few less regulars. Bob's reason for backing out is clear. It may not be correct by the specific letter of the board rules. But it is a valid reason. Dan's policy of no returns may work for him. But in this case it is the root of the disagreement and the reason the discussion is personal and public.

On eBay I think this transaction would have been cut and dried. The buyer could have returned the book for having an undisclosed defect and the seller would have been obliged to refund the buyer's money.

Well thats where it gets hilarious. I work for three comic book stores. One of those stores was the one he contacted trying to secure copies. He didn't put money down he was just told he would be contacted later in the week to confirm the order. He gave his address and phone number.

I was the one who would have had to confirm the order, so I had the order cancelled.

He than told me he was going to come to the store and fight me - told me he had my address and other hilarious things to which I replied, "please bring soft lubricant because I have sensitive skin".

lol Yeah. It sounds like that guy is a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

We had some exclusion Funko figures made. A guy posted them on eBay as a presell listed as an exclusive of his business. We contacted him and asked him if he could simply change his listing. He never responded. We pm'ed him through eBay and he still never responded. He eventually sold eight of them at a much higher price than we were listing them for. When we finally got delivery we simply cancelled his order and blocked him. Sometimes it is worthwhile to be vindictive.

lol Yeah. It sounds like that guy is a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

We had some exclusion Funko figures made. A guy posted them on eBay as a presell listed as an exclusive of his business. We contacted him and asked him if he could simply change his listing. He never responded. We pm'ed him through eBay and he still never responded. He eventually sold eight of them at a much higher price than we were listing them for. When we finally got delivery we simply cancelled his order and blocked him. Sometimes it is worthwhile to be vindictive.

Custom Title Material.

Not sure why Dan is getting some flack from some people. Doesn't make sense why some people should make it personal with him and get upset and start accusing him of one thing or another. just because his post count is this vs that or you had a bad deal, move on, this isn't about you. Bob and him seem to be discussing via PM so lets see where that goes.

Some folks might be making it personal because Dan has made it personal by nominating Bob for the probation thread, in essence questioning his personal integrity. The post count thing is stupid, but the overall tone of this discussion comes down to a set of circumstances that could have, and would have easily been resolved if the transaction had taken place between any buyer and a seller who has a less rigid relationship with their inventory and their customer. Offering any book up sight unseen, and then saying "no returns" may be the norm on eBay or from folks less experienced with conducting large deals (I'm sure Dan has sold his fair share of big books, he has had some incredible stuff). But in the long run that policy will come back to bite the seller on the butt because it invariably leads to disagreements. And the last thing any professional seller wants to do is create animosity with his customer base, even if the customer may be partially culpable. I've had buyers back out on deals for much more specious reasons then this, including a few here on the boards. If I nominated those guys for the probation thread we would possibly have a few less regulars. Bob's reason for backing out is clear. It may not be correct by the specific letter of the board rules. But it is a valid reason. Dan's policy of no returns may work for him. But in this case it is the root of the disagreement and the reason the discussion is personal and public.

On eBay I think this transaction would have been cut and dried. The buyer could have returned the book for having an undisclosed defect and the seller would have been obliged to refund the buyer's money.

As it should be. (thumbs u

Custom Title Material.

Forget custom, please make it a regular for 15k+ posts. :)

Dan and I have reached a deal. I am purchasing the book in a new arrangement that is agreeable to us both.

I would like to publicly apologize to Dan. His integrity as a dealer should not be put into question. His willingness to work with me on this new deal demonstrates he is also a stand up guy.

Personally, I have learned a lot from this ordeal. I will be more careful with future large transaction purchases. I hope my favorite sellers will continue to sell to me. My checks don't bounce !

Thanks for all the insightful discussion. I appreciate the fact that nothing got too personal. Also, Iawyers are now my favorite Boardies (lol).

---Bob

Thank God and glad you two could work it out :applause:

While he may be a scumbag you don't want to deal with, I don't think it's probation worthy.

It's totally probation worthy. The problem is, there's got to be a way to get off the PL for the guy. That would force Jimmy to take his payment and ship him his books. If he offers to do that and Jimmy refuses he comes off the list. Since Jimmy doesn't want to deal with him, since he's threatened to scam Jimmy, he could put him on the list but then he'd come right off when he offered to pay.

Jimmy's better off not dealing with him at all, and he knows that. He's certainly a wild card but the way the PL list works Jimmy would be forced to deal with him in order to follow the protocol. That's a bad idea for Jimmy.

That's why I said it isn't PL worthy. There's no way for the issue to be resolved. In my personal dealings with 8802, I found him to be a flake, so I am biased.

This.

1. Don't sell comics before you have them in hand and can inspect them to answer any questions.

Additionally anyone selling a book of this value should pony up and include the CGC notes. It would eliminate any confusion. Even if they are shared via PM to any prospective buyers.

Double this.

This.

1. Don't sell comics before you have them in hand and can inspect them to answer any questions.

Additionally anyone selling a book of this value should pony up and include the CGC notes. It would eliminate any confusion. Even if they are shared via PM to any prospective buyers.

When spending $400+ to have a book graded, CGC should include the graders notes and not gouge another $15 out someone spending that kind of cash

In the few years I've been a member, Ive NEVER seen graders notes included in a sales thread. Ive seen a lot of personal opinions... prefect registration, tough book in high grade, bright colors... etc. All which could be debated

One thing that can't be debated - that is a stain and not a "trick of the light," sunspot activity, a weather balloon or swamp gas reflected off of Venus.

This.

---Bob

Thank God and glad you two could work it out :applause:

And this. :applause:

That's why I said it isn't PL worthy. There's no way for the issue to be resolved. In my personal dealings with 8802, I found him to be a flake, so I am biased.

To me it is worthy, the offended party ( Jimmy ) should not have to suffer because the offender ( 8802 ) has no out.

The offender should have to find another way out, he is in the wrong and should try and get off the list in any way he sees fit if the deal is off.

Apologies and remorse can count as a starting point 2c