• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

How come people always pay me? Even the 3 buyers with a combined 4 posts have paid me for some VCC purchases? (shrug)

They are clearly afraid of waking up in a ditch dressed as Wonder Woman with a missing wallet and a sore azz, and not remembering how they got there. :angel:

Fixed that for you.

How come people always pay me? Even the 3 buyers with a combined 4 posts have paid me for some VCC purchases? (shrug)

They know what you'll do to them if they don't pay.

:eek:

Send them 666 PMs til they lose the will to live?

I haven't sent one to you lately. (shrug)

I haven't sent one to you lately. (shrug)

He's still alive ain't he slacker? :baiting:

1 pic = 1000 words

gary_coleman.jpg

:whistle:

Is that greggy in drag? (shrug)

No, in a dress.

:insane:

It is an issue that is only going to increase in importance. People were registering for the sole purpose of buying from the VCC last week. I used to be one who said let everyone buy and sell willy nilly, but I am coming over to your camp, DP.

I've been against this from the start. There are multiple places for people to hawk their wares on the Internet. The Marketplace shouldn't be another of their stops unless they are able to stick around and contribute to the Forum as a whole. This includes spamming their eBay wares. I'm sure it's helping CGC's new member count but it's definitely hurting the quality and general good faith aspect of this Board.

What started as a great idea is becoming in alot of respects as much a buyers beware area as eBay. I'm not sure that's good for the Marketplace, the Forum, or CGC themselves since they sponsor these Boards...

Jim

What started as a great idea is becoming in alot of respects as much a buyers beware area as eBay.

Overall, I have had significantly better luck collecting from buyers on eBay. Not a joke. That's one reason I try to sell only by PM to people I know at this point. Sales threads just increase the chances I will get another deadbeat.

No. This is.

gary_coleman2.gif

I didn't think it was possible for my eyes to actually catch fire just by looking at something, but once again I am proven wrong.

The sad thing about this picture is that some people will see it as an improvement over the original.

Rich,

Here is my view regarding post counts.

Lets take a look at some of the members on probation, along with their post counts:

Matmarvel -- 226

Bronzejunkie -- 171

Clobberintime --- 1766

OldMan -- 389

Comicmankev --- 2269

Newkingintown -- 35

Donavan74 -- 0

Sid -- 2272

Fandango -- 1132

SpiderJay300 -- forget to check :tonofbricks:

Ghastly -- 315

Superman20 -- 418

Herald2galactus --- 1113

JMarch51 -- 43

Joker-Fish --1083

and we can clearly see it works both ways.

If the person wants to flake out from a deal, it does not matter how many posts he has made. I have sold to forumites who have never posted without a hitch.

Peace

You raise a good point Nik, but I would say on the other hand the main value of this thread is to identify when a board member previously in good standing (i.e., a board member I might have wanted to do business with, and who I would've been less vigilant with), such as Ghastly, or Clobberintime, flakes out. I think that was the real intent of this thread in the first place.

I could care less about outing deadbeat "members" like Donovan74 or Newkingtown, because they were only drive-by boardies anymore and all normal prudence should have been used when dealing with them anyways because you really didn't "know" them from Adam. It's no shock when one of them turns out to be a deadbeat.

It is an issue that is only going to increase in importance. People were registering for the sole purpose of buying from the VCC last week. I used to be one who said let everyone buy and sell willy nilly, but I am coming over to your camp, DP.

I've been against this from the start. There are multiple places for people to hawk their wares on the Internet. The Marketplace shouldn't be another of their stops unless they are able to stick around and contribute to the Forum as a whole. This includes spamming their eBay wares. I'm sure it's helping CGC's new member count but it's definitely hurting the quality and general good faith aspect of this Board.

What started as a great idea is becoming in alot of respects as much a buyers beware area as eBay. I'm not sure that's good for the Marketplace, the Forum, or CGC themselves since they sponsor these Boards...

Jim

But how do you define 'contribure to the Forum as a whole'?

It's problematic trying to define just how a member 'contributes', because they're not all the same.

I'm a moderator on a prominent sports board and have 13000+ posts on the board and would probably be considered a 'positive contributor'. However, when I first got to that board 5 years ago (and for probably a year after), I posted very little. I lurked most of the time and got to know every board member by reading their posts and mostly keeping my mouth shut. I learned the lay of the land and the unspoken (and spoken) rules that every board has....and there are plenty of them.

Instead of shouting and acting the fool when I joined here, I read (and continue to read) threads every day and comment now and again, but still have a ton to learn about the place and all of the members here. It really is a great place, but, like any forum, you've got to earn your way in to the circle of trust....and that mostly just takes time. At least for a person like me. I always felt like slow and steady wins the race when it comes to ingratiating myself into a new community.

Obviously everyone is different, and many people post early and often.....but there are many quality posters that don't. Some great members just are more comfortable reading and getting to know people before pushing themselves onto the membership. Some never post at all (or very little).

I had a very small VCC booth and sold to a couple of members (Cap & pirate) and have only sold a couple of other things in the 10 months I've been here. I have bought a boatload of stuff though and am currently accepting time payments for a higher ticket item that I am selling to another member privately. I've had some great interactions with boarddies through PM's as a result of perusing the marketplace.

I'm not sure what I'm really trying to say here, other than that you can't really measure a man by his post count.

I do see the challenge, however. Just wanted to add my 2c (as worthless as that may be ;) ).

Why not just deal with members who you know. :sumo:

If you don't know the member ask questions and if the date they signed up, as opposed to their post count is earlier than say 2 months,

you can refuse or choose to deal with them by your own discretion.

Or ask for Ebay or Dealer references. Or if anyother forumites will vouch for them.

I think this makes a lot of sense...I've been member since 2005? I lurked sometimes, but I rarely posted before last year...I probably only popped on, to chatise Cal;) ...I haven't looked yet, but I just recently passed 2,000 (cause I talk too much;) My Ebay rating is pretty good, but MORE importantly, a few nice people here, admitted they knew me...and I think that is more important when you don't really know who you are dealing with.

Post count is SO artificial...as a means of telling if someone is genuine... you need to look at the specific posts, sorry, but it's work, like anything else.

I shy away from at least one dealer in the marketplace who only has sales posts...and I'm a lot more careful when I buy...I'll sell to anyone...;) because if they don't pay, I still have my book...and I've tried some brand new people, with great success...but I try to make sure they are basically sane;)

Edited by skypinkblu

I'm not saying a seller should be judged solely on post count. It's clear members having a high post count doesn't necessarily translate to a majority of them being quality posts. But these members are here, are participating regularly, and are usually easy to find. It's the ones who are posting primarily in the Marketplace threads at the exclusion of the rest of the Forum that I see as a problem.

I guess it all comes down to intentions...and if all you're here for is to buy/sell then maybe this isn't the place for you. Hard thing to gauge really as it seems the problem children aren't in that group but it should start somewhere...

Jim

Edited by awe4one

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I sort of miss those encounters

with the devil through PMs. :sumo::hi:

:sorry: Divad, we do have a discussion thread for this type of post. :shy:

Edited by Fazybones