• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

It's ongoing because my name is still on the list, and every time i try to sell or by something, some jerk hijacks my thread to tell everyone that i'm some kind of pariah and it kills any hope of me accomplishing anything. I don't want a little mistake to be held against me for the remainder of my time spent on this website. How would you feel?

What started as a great idea is becoming in alot of respects as much a buyers beware area as eBay.

Overall, I have had significantly better luck collecting from buyers on eBay. Not a joke. That's one reason I try to sell only by PM to people I know at this point. Sales threads just increase the chances I will get another deadbeat.

While I agree that selling or buying from known individuals is best, there are times when I want a book from someone I with whom I've not previously interacted. When that happens, I at least always try to ask for or cite prior references before a "big ticket" sale or purchase. While not foolproof, it helps.

It's ongoing because my name is still on the list, and every time i try to sell or by something, some jerk hijacks my thread to tell everyone that i'm some kind of pariah and it kills any hope of me accomplishing anything. I don't want a little mistake to be held against me for the remainder of my time spent on this website. How would you feel?

Bottomline...did you back out of a deal with Pirate? If so, you only have yourself to blame. Sometimes little mistakes are all it takes...especially when making first impressions...

Jim

I can understand the frustration Guy, but Pirate is a pretty stand up person from my interactions with him. Maybe I'm off the mark here, but I think if you went to him and honored the transaction, he'd be open to working things out. But, I have no horse in this race and don't know all the details. Still, I've found most of the members here are pretty flexible when treated respectfully, and all cards are on the table.

We make mistakes, learn from them, and move on. Unfortunately, the consequences may follow us longer than we'd like sometimes.

I thought of PMing you initially, but then thought if I was a potential seller and wasn't in the know, I'd want to be in the know (so that's why I posted it publicly). I chose my wording carefully, i.e., "clarification/resolution" since all I knew was that you were on the probation thread. For what it's worth, I had no intention of hijacking your thread.

May i ask that my probation be reconsidered after my recent deal with TheWatcher. If you want proof of our mutual satisfaction, you can check the kudos thread. Thanks in advance

Respectfully, but I'm sorry - that's not how it works. Only the offended party can remove you from the list. However, if he (or she) hasn't been fair or open with you, then you may have a gripe. :grin:

Comments regarding this policy are always welcome. :whistle:

First of all, no offense to ThatOneGuy but, I agree with David. The person with the complaint needs to chime in on this thread before any names are removed from the list. If he doesn't chime in, I believe it will take more than 1 "good deal" before any names get removed. This list is a warning to other board members that at least 1 problem has occured with the people on the list.

Ditto. If anything TheWatcher should be added to the list. :baiting:

Dealing with the shunned. (tsk)

:sorry: To be honest, I completely forgot about checking the Probation list doh! That being said, my transaction with TOG went off without a hitch.

May i ask that my probation be reconsidered after my recent deal with TheWatcher. If you want proof of our mutual satisfaction, you can check the kudos thread. Thanks in advance

Respectfully, but I'm sorry - that's not how it works. Only the offended party can remove you from the list. However, if he (or she) hasn't been fair or open with you, then you may have a gripe. :grin:

First of all, no offense to ThatOneGuy but, I agree with David. The person with the complaint needs to chime in on this thread before any names are removed from the list. If he doesn't chime in, I believe it will take more than 1 "good deal" before any names get removed. This list is a warning to other board members that at least 1 problem has occured with the people on the list.

:sorry: To be honest, I completely forgot about checking the Probation list doh! That being said, my transaction with TOG went off without a hitch.

I ignore the list. As long as the dorks pay me, screw everyone else. ^^

I just ignore the list because I'm lazy and forgetful. :sorry:

I just ignore the list because I'm lazy and forgetful. :sorry:

:baiting:

well, it seems that common sense might indicate that buying from someone who just swings by here to sell or whatever could be tricky. they have little to loose if they want to play games. buyer beware.

whereas somone who has been here a while, unless they just come here to post 100 flames a day, they've invested time in their reputation ("good will") and so on.

limiting buying to established people..i don't like that idea. i'd rather get the occasional deadbeat than exclude a potential customer who has maybe recently discovered this place. i'd be happy to grow the forum, particularly because people who have been here a while do drop out and, heck, I was once new here having ignored this place in favor of the ebay boards for years. at least here we don't have to haggle over fees and such. a deadbeat is just a waste of time.

well, it seems that common sense might indicate that buying from someone who just swings by here to sell or whatever could be tricky. they have little to loose if they want to play games. buyer beware.

whereas somone who has been here a while, unless they just come here to post 100 flames a day, they've invested time in their reputation ("good will") and so on.

limiting buying to established people..i don't like that idea. i'd rather get the occasional deadbeat than exclude a potential customer who has maybe recently discovered this place. i'd be happy to grow the forum, particularly because people who have been here a while do drop out and, heck, I was once new here having ignored this place in favor of the ebay boards for years. at least here we don't have to haggle over fees and such. a deadbeat is just a waste of time.

I'd rather have no deadbeats. Buyer beware is correct...proceed with caution...list or no list.

Andy

Or 666 flames a day... :cloud9: