• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

So what's the end game of this?

How does the seller benefit having two books "lost"?

My guess has been that since he took the money out of his paypal account, he keeps the money and Paypal makes good on the refunds. He keeps any books he actually had and may or may not have received a loss claim from the Post Office. As I posted earlier, he only insured my package for $100 so I doubt he actually filed a claim through them.

Has anyone ever heard of a five figure usps insurance claim being paid in a week or two?

I pasted earlier that he only insured my package for $100.

I just meant that , even if he did insure it for the full amount, there's no way they are paying out 10k in two weeks like this.

Sorry, hard to keep everything straight at times.

No way they pay out in two weeks - plus they'll fight it first - "Deny all claims" (Rainmaker)

A few years ago it took six weeks and some fighting to get $1500 out of them for a box they admitted destroying in their processing plant.

Also - No claim can be made on both these packages since they were never scanned into the system.

"Electronic Shipping Info received" is just label printed. Until it is physically scanned "acceptance" at a local post office, or gets scanned at a processing plant will they acknowledge that they have the package in their system.

My guess has been that since he took the money out of his paypal account, he keeps the money and Paypal makes good on the refunds. He keeps any books he actually had and may or may not have received a loss claim from the Post Office. As I posted earlier, he only insured my package for $100 so I doubt he actually filed a claim through them.

Yes, once someone pulls the money out of their Paypal account, Paypal no longer has access to it. They can't just charge the cards or debit the bank account on file to reclaim the loss. They can only pursue it via their collections department or through court.

I'm sorry, but that's incorrect - Paypal most certainly can do just that.

Yes, once someone pulls the money out of their Paypal account, Paypal no longer has access to it. They can't just charge the cards or debit the bank account on file to reclaim the loss. They can only pursue it via their collections department or through court.

I'm sorry, but that's incorrect - Paypal most certainly can do just that.

They can if he has a credit card still linked and there is money in his checking account.

So you guys are implying that it is actually possible to pull this scam on PayPal and keep the money? I'm still not following how he wins anything other than the earlier referenced 0% loan for the price of his PayPal account and buy/sell membership on these boards.

I am scared that I'll have to pay back every $100 transaction I make on PayPal from a sketchy buyer, let alone a $10,000 one!

So you guys are implying that it is actually possible to pull this scam on PayPal and keep the money? I'm still not following how he wins anything other than the earlier referenced 0% loan for the price of his PayPal account and buy/sell membership on these boards.

I am scared that I'll have to pay back every $100 transaction I make on PayPal from a sketchy buyer, let alone a $10,000 one!

I am not sure how Paypal handles the back end of a claim; however, at this point, Marc did not fund the refund- used to "allocate to other assets". Paypal may be able to pursue him but they did not get any money from him for the refunds.

No way they pay out in two weeks - plus they'll fight it first - "Deny all claims" (Rainmaker)

A few years ago it took six weeks and some fighting to get $1500 out of them for a box they admitted destroying in their processing plant.

Also - No claim can be made on both these packages since they were never scanned into the system.

"Electronic Shipping Info received" is just label printed. Until it is physically scanned "acceptance" at a local post office, or gets scanned at a processing plant will they acknowledge that they have the package in their system.

As of late 2013, the USPS moved all claims processing online, to include the uploading of all evidence (photos, scans of receipts, snapshots of USPS documentation). Someone sent me a small envelope of $75 books with no protection, and within one week of opening the case and submitting all evidence the USPS had reviewed the claim, approved the insurance coverage, and had mailed a check out.

I was just as shocked as anyone else would be.

For goodness sake, someone get him over to this thread for a meltdown. It's all far too civilised at the moment.

He is not accepting any further PMs from me or Rapid08. He referred to all of us as a "bunch of old ladies" so doubt he will be joining the festivities.

I am not sure how Paypal handles the back end of a claim; however, at this point, Marc did not fund the refund- used to "allocate to other assets". Paypal may be able to pursue him but they did not get any money from him for the refunds.

PayPal will usually place the assets on hold unless you already have a credit card attached to the account. They do this specifically to avoid this problem. In many instances, depending on the activity of the account, they also have social security numbers because of tax reporting.

So since he was able to withdraw $10K+ from his account, I'm guessing that he had the collateral back up attached to his account and that his intent was just to have access to funds beyond his means for some other purchase. PayPal will most definitely pursue him and will most likely get their funds back from him.

After doing some very very initial searching, it seems that in this case PayPal would eventually send the amount to collections and (with this amount) quite adversely impact his credit. Obviously we know one side (shared by two people) of the story, but this one will sting a year from now.

As of late 2013, the USPS moved all claims processing online, to include the uploading of all evidence (photos, scans of receipts, snapshots of USPS documentation). Someone sent me a small envelope of $75 books with no protection, and within one week of opening the case and submitting all evidence the USPS had reviewed the claim, approved the insurance coverage, and had mailed a check out.

Yeah but he's still facing the problem of no tracking in the system. I can sit at home - pay and print up as many labels I want but if they show no tracking in the system USPS will say they never received the packages if I try to make a claim on packages that were never dropped off in the first place.

For goodness sake, someone get him over to this thread for a meltdown. It's all far too civilised at the moment.

He is not accepting any further PMs from me or Rapid08. He referred to all of us as a "bunch of old ladies" so doubt he will be joining the festivities.

You've had some luck with boardies recently - weren't you the one involved with Ron "nuttier than a squirrel turd under an oak tree" Mkay as well?

Yeah but he's still facing the problem of no tracking in the system. I can sit at home - pay and print up as many labels I want but if they show no tracking in the system USPS will say they never received the packages if I try to make a claim on packages that were never dropped off in the first place.

That's the deal-killer right there as you pointed out. No tracking info - no mailing proof.

:(

You've had some luck with boardies recently - weren't you the one involved with Ron "nuttier than a squirrel turd under an oak tree" Mkay as well?

I've seen Ed in here a few times this past year.

I've seen Ed in here a few times this past year.

Innocent as charged! Maybe there should be a scammers alert list to warn them not to mess with certain Board members. :o

Right. And if Kindle only insured for $100, then he had no intention of pursuing an insurance claim.