• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

because I remember when facebook first came out and I was in first year university and it was really easy to pick up chicks.

Now I send those same girls messages and they tell me to get lost. Its not only comical but pretty meta.

Fool them once..... ;)

So I have a question. Could I be placed on the PL if I cancel a sale due to a buyer not disclosing the amount of time they need to complete the sale?

Well according to the rules, I think if he's committed to pay you & follows through in less than 30 days then his claim of the item is still valid.

2c

IMHO - I feel anyone claiming an item that needs more than a handful of days to pay should be clearing it with the seller first.

I think from the side of a courteous buyer I agree with you baba. However the rules allow for 30 days for completion on both sides. If the seller doesnt state "payment due in x days unless agreed to beforehand" then they roll the dice on waiting up to 30 days. From the standpoint of being a good person though yea you should pay asap.

I was reading one of the other threads, the one posted by Arch...and I was thinking...

We have way too many people on this list, and WAY too many people in the Hall of Shame...it's growing too fast, and it's causing way too many negative feelings.

When someone screws up, it's true, there can be many reasons, but it seems that some people assume, that making that one transaction whole, absolves them of all guilt, it wipes the slate clean and then they get to start again...later because nothing really happened the first time...they screw up again, or maybe they don't, but people remember them negatively...so they are the "bad guys" forever.

So the community is left with negative feelings when someone comes off the list and too often, it seems those same people return... for many reasons.

What if we somehow turned the probation list around...what if there was some kind of community service requirement for you to get off the list. If you are placed there, you need to not only send the books, supplies, pay for an item, fix whatever error was made, but you ALSO have to ...do something positive for the community...

I guess I'm thinking about something in the way of charity auctions, but I'm sure there are lots of other ideas out there.

It might even help someone who messed up, feel so good enough about themselves, that they don't mess up again...

Just thinking...and I'm sorry if I'm rambling...

But I was hoping someone else might have some positive ideas.

I think from the side of a courteous buyer I agree with you baba. However the rules allow for 30 days for completion on both sides. If the seller doesnt state "payment due in x days unless agreed to beforehand" then they roll the dice on waiting up to 30 days. From the standpoint of being a good person though yea you should pay asap.

That's the problem, I told the buyer that they should have cleared with me if they had problems paying immediately (within 3-4 days typically) not weeks. I would like to cancel the transaction and move the sale to another buyer that is waiting.

But you are right jay, there wasn't an stated "must pay in x days" in the original agreement. (Never had to worry about it since most buyers tell me ahead of time if there are any problems or need time payments...)

That's the problem, I told the buyer that they should have cleared with me if they had problems paying immediately (within 3-4 days typically) not weeks. I would like to cancel the transaction and move the sale to another buyer that is waiting.

But you are right jay, there wasn't an stated "must pay in x days" in the original agreement. (Never had to worry about it since most buyers tell me ahead of time if there are any problems or need time payments...)

I think it's implied that the buyer is able to pay immediately when taking a book. Anything else requires discussion prior to the ill take it. I don't think you have to wait. If it was a $50 sale I'd probably wait but a big sale I'm not locking down that book for a month waiting for payment. My 2 cents.

NOTE - I am not providing legal advice and nothing I have said here should be construed as such.

How can I look at my 1st posts?

Like this one ?

Awesome! That's how I met Will. Ok. How about me complaining about a Chew 1 2nd print early in my posting.

Have at it.

I was actually looking for this

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3267425&nt=2740&fpart=712

It carries on until page 729. For those interested in the evolution of the PL I believe off board transactions between board members was added as a result.

I thought about whether to bring this up. The problem is it shows a definite pattern. For those that ever feel bullied by a long standing board member and are afraid to speak up i feel obligated to link this. The pattern appears to be refusing to follow through until it's public. If someone does not make it public then what happens?

If you ever believe post count has nothing to do with anything then you should have seen the thread in CG about this.

Not being able to pay immediately is adding a term to the sale. Like self-decided establishment of time payments. If it was me I would cancel the transaction and re list the book.

NOTE - I am not providing legal advice and nothing I have said here should be construed as such.

Big ticket silver key.... about $7k...

That's weird, when you had your AF15 up for sale you were specific about payment in 48 hours....so it appears you've somehow gotten yourself into a deal on that or another book without that condition.

The main useless criteria that people will want to know is how long does the buyer want? Also was there any discussion of payment time?

I'll reiterate my earlier point, the catch-all rules say 30 days but it's understood that is to complete the transaction.

The question is about whether you can back out & avoid being nominated by your snubbed buyer. I'd say if he's asking for two weeks to pay for a 7K book, you'd probably hear much from both sides. In fact that'd probably be my over/under as far as whether you could or couldn't, IF you couldn't come to some compromise with the buyer....but it's just my meaningless opinion, one of many.

Not being able to pay immediately is adding a term to the sale. Like self-decided establishment of time payments. If it was me I would cancel the transaction and re list the book.

You should make sure that "immediate payment" is noted as a condition in your sales thread terms because that's not the way everyone around here operates.