• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the difference between these:

1. I say payment is due in 3 days so that trumps the 30 day rule.

2. I say time payments start on day xx, if you miss that you get the 30 day rule.

I just wrote this in a PM...

The 30 days is because life happens. That's why it was created. It's a grace period we give each other. It could work another way, but this is the way it works. If we don't want to give a 30 day grace period we need to state that specifically before the sale is completed. This is true for straight sales and time payments.

So yeah, I hear you. Dude is supposed to pay on the 15th. If he doesn't, he failed. And it seems like saying "due on the 15th" could mean "due in the 15th so no 30 day grace period." But historically it hasn't. We give this grace period for failure, and need to be up front if we don't want to follow that rule.

I guess another way to look at it is that, by default, payment for regular sales is due that day, with a 30 day grace period. Saying "payment due within three days" means that grace period is three days long, not 30.

Does that make sense? The more I write about it, the less sense it makes to me!

2. I say time payments start on day xx, if you miss that you get the 30 day rule.

For # 1 - No under the current rules, if you say payment is due in 3 days in your sales thread you still have to wait 30 days from the date of the sale if you wish to pursue a PL nomination - today many people are just washing their hands of the buyer & choosing to sell the book to someone else rather than hold onto it & provide their slow _paying_buyer a clear path to resolution by keeping the original book available.

For # 2 - yes,currently.

For # 1 - No under the current rules, if you say payment is due in 3 days in your sales thread you still have to wait 30 days from the date of the sale if you wish to pursue a PL nomination - today many people are just washing their hands of the buyer & choosing to sell the book to someone else rather than hold onto it & provide their slow _paying_buyer a clear path to resolution by keeping the original book available.

For # 2 - yes,currently.

I don't think so. #1 overrides the 30 day rule. Otherwise by saying you need payment soon, you're just giving extra time!

Let's say it is the first of November and I am negotiating with a buyer on payment terms.

1. I say payment is due in 15 days.

2. I say payment due on November 15th.

Would these both treat the 30 day grace period the same?

There is a very good chance I have had one too many beers for this conversation.

Being added to the probation list 5 days after hitting the i'll take it, will never fly.

I agree but my suggestion addresses two shortcomings of the current process - perhaps I erred when I chose to use the 72 hour PL notification period as the grace period since that exists already, maybe it should have been any default on an agreed upon payment date gets one week + the 72 hour PM notification.

(shrug)

Let's say it is the first of November and I am negotiating with a buyer on payment terms.

There is a very good chance I have had one too many beers for this conversation.

Weird question? They're the same, and they both trump the 30 day period.

today many people are just washing their hands of the buyer & choosing to sell the book to someone else rather than hold onto it & provide their slow _paying_buyer a clear path to resolution by keeping the original book available.

Fair enough.

Trump how?

I'm proposing something like that but today's PL eligibility for the Wombat case (in both cases) is based on Nov 1st (Dec 1st PL eligible) "when" he demands or agrees to payment isn't relevant under today's rules.

The 30 day rule is pretty simple.

1. ) The 30-Day Rule

a) If a transaction between board members is not completed within 30 days, the offended party may submit the offender's name for inclusion to the HOS/Probation List (hereafter called the PL)

b) If the transaction is agreed on by both parties to take longer than 30 days - for example, a transaction involving time payments over a longer time, the 30 day clock begins from the time the agreed upon conditions were violated.

c) The 30-day rule is suspended if the accused refuses to complete the transaction or if the transaction cannot be completed due to, for example, the item being sold to someone else.

Being added to the probation list 5 days after hitting the i'll take it, will never fly.

I agree but my suggestion addresses two shortcomings of the current process - perhaps I erred when I chose to use the 72 hour PL notification period as the grace period since that exists already, maybe it should have been any default on an agreed upon payment date gets one week + the 72 hour PM notification.

(shrug)

I am going to channel POV

The 30 day rule is there for a reason.

If you want different terms in your agreement, that is fine.

Your different terms do not affect the Probation List rules. [/POV channeling]

Trump how?

I'm proposing something like that but today's PL eligibility for the Wombat case (in both cases) is based on Nov 1st (Dec 1st PL eligible) "when" he demands or agrees to payment isn't relevant under today's rules.

If you say in your sales thread that payment is required in a week, that's a seven day grace period, and it trumps the 30 days. That's how we've been doing this for a while now.

Why do you want to change the PL to a week for everyone?

Edited by Speedy-D

Trump how?

If you say in your sales thread that payment is required in a week, that's a seven day grace period, and it trumps the 30 days. That's how we've been doing this for a while now.

Nope!

Trump how?

Nope!

:gossip: He means "yep!"

Why do you want to change the PL to a week for everyone?

I wasn't - Today's 30 day PL rule is based on "takeit/invoice" regardless of any seller conditions (see grinin channeling POV :D )

I was simply proposing something where any agreed upon payment date should only get a 7 day grace period plus 72 hour PM/PL notification.

He asked if they were treated the same. :baiting:

I said "yes" because whether he says 15 days or Nov 15th - both are irrelevant when it comes to PL nomination on a Nov 1st takeit/invoice/sale - it is eligible Dec 1st.

Payment "default" triggering a seven day clock that supersedes the 30 day standard is what I was proposing - so time payments are pretty clearly tightened up like Roy's case.

Using Wombat's example:

Today he lists/sells on Nov 1st & has a mostly irrelevant 15 day payment request in his thread, the current scenario would make it PL eligible Dec 1st.

In the proposed change, by establishing a payment date or agreeing to one with the buyer, the seller can nominate seven days after the default date (Nov 15th + 7 days) + PM/PL notification period.

Edited by bababooey

He asked if they were treated the same. :baiting:

I said "yes" because whether he says 15 days or Nov 15th - both are irrelevant when it comes to PL nomination on a Nov 1st takeit/invoice/sale - it is eligible Dec 1st.

Payment "default" triggering a seven day clock that supersedes the 30 day standard is what I was proposing - so time payments are pretty clearly tightened up like Roy's case.

Using Wombat's example:

Today he lists/sells on Nov 1st & has a mostly irrelevant 15 day payment request in his thread, the current scenario would make it PL eligible Dec 1st.

In the proposed change, by establishing a payment date or agreeing to one with the buyer, the seller can nominate seven days after the default date (Nov 15th + 7 days) + PM/PL notification period.

I'm sleepy and now I gotta do math???