• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Why does that chap? I don't get that. Let's say I have $5,000 in my checking account and get paid $10,000 every two weeks. On the second of the month you post an AF 15 for $5,000. I could buy it now and drain my account but I pm you and say hey can I do two time payments $2,500 each on the 15th and 30th of the month. You say sure, because you don't care. If I then go and buy Roy's $3,000 Ms Marvel #1 how does it affect you. You're getting paid. You didn't have to agree to time payments.

Also just because you see a :takeit: doesn't mean they are paying for it on the spot, could mean they are doing time payments there too.

I just wrote this in a PM...

The 30 days is because life happens. That's why it was created. It's a grace period we give each other. It could work another way, but this is the way it works. If we don't want to give a 30 day grace period we need to state that specifically before the sale is completed. This is true for straight sales and time payments.

So yeah, I hear you. Dude is supposed to pay on the 15th. If he doesn't, he failed. And it seems like saying "due on the 15th" could mean "due in the 15th so no 30 day grace period." But historically it hasn't. We give this grace period for failure, and need to be up front if we don't want to follow that rule.

I guess another way to look at it is that, by default, payment for regular sales is due that day, with a 30 day grace period. Saying "payment due within three days" means that grace period is three days long, not 30.

Does that make sense? The more I write about it, the less sense it makes to me!

I had always understood the 30 day period to also signify that there was an expectation that both parties would try to sort it out before making it a public issue here. Since the moment it becomes public here, names named etc, it means more drama and distraction for everybody. Once 30 days has elapsed, the wronged party can at least say they tried to get compliance before going to court, so to speak. 2c

What bothers me is that he hasn't even communicated in 30 days. He has just read PMs and not replied for a month.

Personally, I think 30 days with no communication is very different than two people trying to work through a problem for 30 days.

And I agree with some boardies that 30 days is far too long anyway.

1 week is usually plenty to either communicate or solve a problem. 2 weeks is LOTS of time to sell a book to raise funds if you need to. It's what I always did.

30 days is ridiculously long to solve a problem, IMO. That's layaway and 'charge interest' territory.

Again, I fully agree that I should have taken a down payment and worked out the terms, but you live and learn. Hindsight is always glaringly obvious.

What really chaps is when you look at their posts and you see other take its.

That's the close relative of my absolute favorite.

Having a "I need money to pay the rent, pay for braces, pay for new bionic arm sale" and then seeing that same seller buying stuff up in other sales threads...concurrently. :luhv:

There is a member that is always talking about how poor he is, has received donations for emergency sales, and yet scoops up $100 books on a regular basis. :eyeroll:

Why does that chap? I don't get that. Let's say I have $5,000 in my checking account and get paid $10,000 every two weeks. On the second of the month you post an AF 15 for $5,000. I could buy it now and drain my account but I pm you and say hey can I do two time payments $2,500 each on the 15th and 30th of the month. You say sure, because you don't care. If I then go and buy Roy's $3,000 Ms Marvel #1 how does it affect you. You're getting paid. You didn't have to agree to time payments.

Also just because you see a :takeit: doesn't mean they are paying for it on the spot, could mean they are doing time payments there too.

I don't disagree with any of that in principle, but I never mentioned time payments, or an arrangement for time payments. Just someone says, "Hey, I dropped an I take it but I need two weeks to get cash." Then they buy five other books. It's a simple fix, really, you just put in your sales thread you expect payment with 48 hours or whatever.

There is a member that is always talking about how poor he is, has received donations for emergency sales, and yet scoops up $100 books on a regular basis. :eyeroll:

Does he buy them for resale or to keep?

If he makes a living selling books that wouldn't bother me.

It would bother me if he was buying to keep them but couldn't afford it.