• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Is this where we provide thoughts/guesses on the medical issue you both share?

Back troubles. No guessing required. :grin:

And I'm not going to nominate the guy to the PL.

I just wonder if I should out him.

whether or not the issues are real, I would like to know that going forward should the individual wish to buy and wants to do time payments etc that for them a non refundable deposit would be required.

+1 not that I ever have any books that would require time payments etc

This was my last reply to the guy. His name is Fan Boy and it was a $2K book we agreed on.

I'm sorry to hear about your back as I have had lifelong back troubles for 30 years but I just want you to know that you had 4 weeks to let me know where we stood and while you continued to post on the chat forum over the 4 weeks you were unable to reply to me.

That, coupled with the fact that you started this thread about keeping books that were not yours makes me unsure of dealing with you.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt with your thread because you said you did it to see how people would react to the original post but that's two specific instances now that make me wonder about you.

Good luck with your back.

Let's say it is the first of November and I am negotiating with a buyer on payment terms.

1. I say payment is due in 15 days.

2. I say payment due on November 15th.

Would these both treat the 30 day grace period the same?

There is a very good chance I have had one too many beers for this conversation.

Weird question? They're the same, and they both trump the 30 day period.

Trump how?

I'm proposing something like that but today's PL eligibility for the Wombat case (in both cases) is based on Nov 1st (Dec 1st PL eligible) "when" he demands or agrees to payment isn't relevant under today's rules.

If you say in your sales thread that payment is required in a week, that's a seven day grace period, and it trumps the 30 days. That's how we've been doing this for a while now.

Nope!

:gossip: He means "yep!"

I'm a little late to this part of the convo - but I was under the impression that a personal set of 7-day terms trumps the ability to hang onto the book for 30 days, but if you want to nominate to the PL, you still have to wait 30 days regardless of what your sales terms are.

For me, I put a stipulation on a payment timeframe, and if it's not met - the book can be relisted. That way I don't tie up a book with the PL. That's my understanding.

I'm a little late to this part of the convo - but I was under the impression that a personal set of 7-day terms trumps the ability to hang onto the book for 30 days, but if you want to nominate to the PL, you still have to wait 30 days regardless of what your sales terms are.

For me, I put a stipulation on a payment timeframe, and if it's not met - the book can be relisted. That way I don't tie up a book with the PL. That's my understanding.

Accelerated payment requirements only provide one additional protection for the seller in regards to the probation list. That is: once the buyer defaults, by not meeting the sellers early payment requirement, the seller can immediately turn around and resell the item. Without the accelerated payment clause, the buyer would be able to nominate the seller up to day 30, as: "it was sold out from under me"

Accelerated payment requirements have no other effect on the PL requirements.

Note: it appears that if the seller sells the item at a loss before the 30 day period, there would be no PL recourse for the difference, as the buyer could claim, "well, I was able to get the money together, but you didn't give me the chance". However, if you nominate the buyer on day 30 and sell the item at a loss on day 33, it appears that the nomination would stand.

Wow Roy this buyer was really shady!

To go several weeks without responding to your messages is inexcusable when the buyer probably decided to back out on the deal after the first week. It wouldn’t have been as bad if he just told you that he changed his mind in the first few days but to string it out for a month is wrong.

Going forward it’s probably best to get 10% nonrefundable upfront then set exact dates and amounts of the remaining payments.

If someone can't come up with a small down payment right away that should be a red flag to start with.

I'm going to have to heavily disagree with this statement. There are tons of reasons why someone would not be able to come up with one. The lack of one should not be construed as a red flag.

If someone can't come up with a small down payment right away that should be a red flag to start with.

I'm going to have to heavily disagree with this statement. There are tons of reasons why someone would not be able to come up with one. The lack of one should not be construed as a red flag.

Agreed.

I had a guy fishing to buy a 6-7 figure book from me but he didn't have the money yet - he just knew it was coming. Lo and behold, he eventually bought one. Not from me though. :cry:

People just have to stop treating this place like eBay and this list could be much shorter.

On eBay, you list a book and a faceless buyer wins the auction or clicks BIN. You know nothing about the person on the other side of the keyboard and you're at the mercy of that buyer. The same applies to doing business with a low feedback seller.

Here it's a community (go on, I know someone will :devil::kidaround: about that remark) and you have the ability get to know others. People are allowed to do business with whoever they want to and aren't forced to deal with "faceless" buyers or sellers. With that comes some level of responsibility on the seller/buyer and some use of common sense.

If you see a brand new member with 4 posts (all of which are in the sales subforums), maybe pump the brakes with the :takeit: when he offers up a Ms. Marvel #1 NM for $40.

If you're a seller with a high priced book and get a PM from a buyer you know nothing about asking for time payments with nothing down, maybe just say "no" unless he can provide solid references of people who have dealt with him high end transactions.

Common sense and due diligence go a long way towards having to avoid nominating anyone here. Don't make a business decision you don't feel comfortable with and you should be fine. 2c:preach:

I had a guy fishing to buy a 6-7 figure book from me but he didn't have the money yet - he just knew it was coming. Lo and behold, he eventually bought one. Not from me though. :cry:

6-7 figure book = 100,000.00 to 1,000,000.00 OMG :o

might be Canadian dollars? :devil:

Just kidding Canada I love you! :foryou:

6-7 figure book = 100,000.00 to 1,000,000.00 OMG :o

might be Canadian dollars? :devil:

Just kidding Canada I love you! :foryou:

Our money is known as monopoly money...but smells like maple mmmm maple.

I just wrote this in a PM...

The 30 days is because life happens. That's why it was created. It's a grace period we give each other. It could work another way, but this is the way it works. If we don't want to give a 30 day grace period we need to state that specifically before the sale is completed. This is true for straight sales and time payments.

So yeah, I hear you. Dude is supposed to pay on the 15th. If he doesn't, he failed. And it seems like saying "due on the 15th" could mean "due in the 15th so no 30 day grace period." But historically it hasn't. We give this grace period for failure, and need to be up front if we don't want to follow that rule.

I guess another way to look at it is that, by default, payment for regular sales is due that day, with a 30 day grace period. Saying "payment due within three days" means that grace period is three days long, not 30.

Does that make sense? The more I write about it, the less sense it makes to me!

I had always understood the 30 day period to also signify that there was an expectation that both parties would try to sort it out before making it a public issue here. Since the moment it becomes public here, names named etc, it means more drama and distraction for everybody. Once 30 days has elapsed, the wronged party can at least say they tried to get compliance before going to court, so to speak. 2c

What bothers me is that he hasn't even communicated in 30 days. He has just read PMs and not replied for a month.

Personally, I think 30 days with no communication is very different than two people trying to work through a problem for 30 days.

And I agree with some boardies that 30 days is far too long anyway.

1 week is usually plenty to either communicate or solve a problem. 2 weeks is LOTS of time to sell a book to raise funds if you need to. It's what I always did.

30 days is ridiculously long to solve a problem, IMO. That's layaway and 'charge interest' territory.

Again, I fully agree that I should have taken a down payment and worked out the terms, but you live and learn. Hindsight is always glaringly obvious.

What really chaps is when you look at their posts and you see other take its.