• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

He asked would I accept $100 and I said yes.

By this, I would say that's as good as the "takeit" guy.

Whomever did this to the seller needs a lesson in manners and empathy. However, it's just a touch short of a sealed deal.

Me asking someone "Would you let me slather your sister in butterscotch topping?" doesn't necessarily mean that, whatever your answer, that you will find her slathered thereby.

Point well taken.

-slym

Seriously?

I would as well. Turning this around if I asked someone if he would take $100 in a pm and he said yes then sold it to someone else I'd be upset as well.

As poorly as most people on this board express themselves and communicate, you really want to make sure the other guy knows what you are saying.

If I really want a book, and I am making a firm offer, I will say something like "If you will accept $100 I will take it." that's how I get across the goal line and remove all doubt that "would $100 work" without saying specifically that if $100 works that I will buy the book.

Seriously?

I would as well. Turning this around if I asked someone if he would take $100 in a pm and he said yes then sold it to someone else I'd be upset as well.

I was very guilty of this in the past. :blush:

The asking price was a "no" for me but I'd PM sellers just to see what their wiggle room in price was. Sometimes you'd get a "sorry, can't do it" but sometimes you'd get - "I can do that. Just mark the thread."

I was doing it just to give me something to mull over. I've definitely toned it down as I regretably annoyed some sellers. :sorry::foryou:

But I don't think inquiring about wiggle room in price is the same as :takeit: if the seller would sell it at that price.

Seriously?

I was very guilty of this in the past. :blush:

The asking price was a "no" for me but I'd PM sellers just to see what their wiggle room in price was. Sometimes you'd get a "sorry, can't do it" but sometimes you'd get - "I can do that. Just mark the thread."

I was doing it just to give me something to mull over. I've definitely toned it down as I regretably annoyed some sellers. :sorry::foryou:

But I don't think inquiring about wiggle room in price is the same as :takeit: if the seller would sell it at that price.

That's interesting. I guess it is a point of view thing. If I asked someone "Would you take a $100 for book A?" and he says yes, I would assume I just bought book A and owe him a $100. If not, why the heck am I asking him in the first place. I agree this case brought up is not PL worthy but the guy still sounds like a bad person to deal with buying or selling.

That's interesting. I guess it is a point of view thing. If I asked someone "Would you take a $100 for book A?" and he says yes, I would assume I just bought book A and owe him a $100. If not, why the heck am I asking him in the first place. I agree this case brought up is not PL worthy but they guy still sounds like a bad person to deal with buying or selling.

^^ Exactly this.

I have put people on ignore for asking about a book, and then, when given an answer, they don't reply and just drop out of the thread. It's like a "thanks, but I'll pass" is too much effort to type.

:sumo:

Very rude.

But, then again, I put people on ignore for looking at me funny, so....

:D

:takeit: in the thread makes it official. From the moment that was not done, you had to figure this was a flakey deal. I always insist that a buyer post the :takeit:. I make it clear to them that if we are in talks or contemplating adding more books or whatever and someone swoops in ant posts the :takeit:. well then. Again the importance of the :takeit: is more than the reason why it was ever created.

I defer to the wisdom of the board and I can see how this didn't technically constitute a "take it", but all things considered the buyer is guilty of very poor etiquette at a minimum.

Would you take $100 for book "X"?

Yes, I would take $100 for book "X".

Please claim book "X" in the thread.

On no, you misunderstood, I was only inquiring as to if you would come down on price at all.

My mistake, sorry about that.

Problem is solved before it begins.

I defer to the wisdom of the board and I can see how this didn't technically constitute a "take it", but all things considered the buyer is guilty of very poor etiquette at a minimum.

Would you take $100 for book "X"?

Yes, I would take $100 for book "X".

Please claim book "X" in the thread.

On no, you misunderstood, I was only inquiring as to if you would come down on price at all.

My mistake, sorry about that.

Problem is solved before it begins.

Everyone agrees

Just a quick update: I sent a PM earlier with the subject "Probation Discussions" and wouldn't ya know I just got a reply. Just sayin guys.... just sayin....

Just sayin' ? :facepalm:

To recap, after much prodding you supposedly shared the buyer's words in a quote where he asked if you were willing to accept $100 for a book, your response where you agreed to take $100 indicates that he inquired about two other books that you didn't have, obviously you aren't sharing the entire scope of what this potential buyer is saying.

Quit editing and/or paraphrasing the discussion if you are going to try and get people's opinions - sure you may just be omitting useless words but if you're asking for people's opinions then post the entire exchange, the context of the entire PM is relevant.

Also, if you are planning to share anything further...just post it all (with or without outing the buyer) rather than drag it on for a dozen more posts.

(thumbs u

This is the actual wording:

"Would you be willing to sell it for $100?

Im slowly going through your thread so there may be something else I'll like.

Maybe we can work a bundle up."

I SUPPOSE that it could be argued that this doesn't constitute a "take it", but the context supports the fact that it was sold. If the buyer didn't plan to buy the book and was merely asking if I would accept a lower price, why was I ignored for so long? There was no response like "Oh I didn't wanna actually commit yet" or anything so it's pretty clear to me.

But then again feel free to tell me I'm incorrect in my assumption, but to me the ignore, remove is very telling.

"Hello,

I can go $100 on the Hulk book. I don't have either of those 2 other books, but I have a couple thousand to sell so let me know if anything else comes to mind. I'll also be adding more books to the thread. Thanks - Joel

PS: Please claim the Hulk 377 in the thread."

After sending this message, I received one back by him inquiring as to whether I had other certain books. If he hadn't implied a sale, I'd assume that issue would have been taken with me saying "Please claim the Hulk 377 in the thread."

Just a quick update: I sent a PM earlier with the subject "Probation Discussions" and wouldn't ya know I just got a reply. Just sayin guys.... just sayin....

Just sayin' ? :facepalm:

To recap, after much prodding you supposedly shared the buyer's words in a quote where he asked if you were willing to accept $100 for a book, your response where you agreed to take $100 indicates that he inquired about two other books that you didn't have, obviously you aren't sharing the entire scope of what this potential buyer is saying.

Quit editing and/or paraphrasing the discussion if you are going to try and get people's opinions - sure you may just be omitting useless words but if you're asking for people's opinions then post the entire exchange, the context of the entire PM is relevant.

Also, if you are planning to share anything further...just post it all (with or without outing the buyer) rather than drag it on for a dozen more posts.

(thumbs u

This is the actual wording:

"Would you be willing to sell it for $100?

Im slowly going through your thread so there may be something else I'll like.

Maybe we can work a bundle up."

I SUPPOSE that it could be argued that this doesn't constitute a "take it", but the context supports the fact that it was sold. If the buyer didn't plan to buy the book and was merely asking if I would accept a lower price, why was I ignored for so long? There was no response like "Oh I didn't wanna actually commit yet" or anything so it's pretty clear to me.

But then again feel free to tell me I'm incorrect in my assumption, but to me the ignore, remove is very telling.

"Hello,

I can go $100 on the Hulk book. I don't have either of those 2 other books, but I have a couple thousand to sell so let me know if anything else comes to mind. I'll also be adding more books to the thread. Thanks - Joel

PS: Please claim the Hulk 377 in the thread."

After sending this message, I received one back by him inquiring as to whether I had other certain books. If he hadn't implied a sale, I'd assume that issue would have been taken with me saying "Please claim the Hulk 377 in the thread."

Hello,

I don't feel that my post deserves a :facepalm: I was merely pointing out the fact that while countless messages concerning the sale went ignored over a 1 month + period, a message with the subject "probation discussions" was answered within a few hours. I have absolutely nothing to hide and if the community deemed it necessary for me to provide screenshots I would have happily done so. I went out of my way to not name the buyer because I wasn't sure if I was in the right and didn't want to wrongly accuse anybody. And your accusation that I am editing or paraphrasing is completely unfounded.

So fair of you to imply that I "supposedly" shared the buyers words in a quote while also implying that I am "obviously" not sharing scope and context.

It's a done deal on my end and I'm over it, but implying that I FINALLY get an answer to a PM when the words probation discussion are used is irrelevant, is ridiculous. Thanks for your input.

Edited by Tibex82