• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Did they say "I will give you $X for Y book"? or was it "would you take ..."

Just trying to see if there was offer/acceptance.

Regardless, the read, ignore, remove is enough to make my personal list.

KPR brings up an interesting point about if it was perfectly clear that he was purchasing the book or not. Either way though, for him to not respond to the messages is very telling. If it was a mistake, he could easily have told you and you guys could have figured it out from there.

I agree with outing him because I don't want to deal with someone like that.

I agreed to sell the book for "X" amount as opposed to listed price and the buyer informed me that he was possibly interested in more so I wasn't in a hurry to invoice for the 1st item.

You may wish to post the actual language (you can copy paste instead of quoting) the pertinent material here regarding that. It sounds, at least to my ear that he said "Hey could you sell that book for $50, you said I can sell it for $55, and he said, well I may want more so hang on" but there was no acceptance to the deal in the first place. Is the buyer a PITA? Sure sounds like it. Someone I would not want to deal with? Yup. Probation worthy? Not yet. Needs a definitive acceptance and failure to act. My 2c

This is the actual wording:

"Would you be willing to sell it for $100?

Im slowly going through your thread so there may be something else I'll like.

Maybe we can work a bundle up."

I SUPPOSE that it could be argued that this doesn't constitute a "take it", but the context supports the fact that it was sold. If the buyer didn't plan to buy the book and was merely asking if I would accept a lower price, why was I ignored for so long? There was no response like "Oh I didn't wanna actually commit yet" or anything so it's pretty clear to me.

But then again feel free to tell me I'm incorrect in my assumption, but to me the ignore, remove is very telling.

And to be clear, I accepted his offer of $100 with no further haggling. We were never up in the air or a few dollars apart on price. He asked would I accept $100 and I said yes.

"Hello,

I can go $100 on the Hulk book. I don't have either of those 2 other books, but I have a couple thousand to sell so let me know if anything else comes to mind. I'll also be adding more books to the thread. Thanks - Joel

PS: Please claim the Hulk 377 in the thread."

After sending this message, I received one back by him inquiring as to whether I had other certain books. If he hadn't implied a sale, I'd assume that issue would have been taken with me saying "Please claim the Hulk 377 in the thread."

This is the actual wording:

"Would you be willing to sell it for $100?

Im slowly going through your thread so there may be something else I'll like.

Maybe we can work a bundle up."

I SUPPOSE that it could be argued that this doesn't constitute a "take it", but the context supports the fact that it was sold. If the buyer didn't plan to buy the book and was merely asking if I would accept a lower price, why was I ignored for so long? There was no response like "Oh I didn't wanna actually commit yet" or anything so it's pretty clear to me.

But then again feel free to tell me I'm incorrect in my assumption, but to me the ignore, remove is very telling.

I think he accepted the deal if you agreed to the $100. The other stuff he added is to try to persuade you to take the $100 or possibly accept the $100 in conjunction with other books. Since you accepted the $100 I'd consider it a done deal and the book sold. I typically respond with a "sold for $100 - please post up the I'll take it in the thread for my book keeping".

"Hello,

I can go $100 on the Hulk book. I don't have either of those 2 other books, but I have a couple thousand to sell so let me know if anything else comes to mind. I'll also be adding more books to the thread. Thanks - Joel

PS: Please claim the Hulk 377 in the thread."

After sending this message, I received one back by him inquiring as to whether I had other certain books. If he hadn't implied a sale, I'd assume that issue would have been taken with me saying "Please claim the Hulk 377 in the thread."

Did he claim it in the thread?

Looks like you did what you should have done. Did he follow your request to claim in the thread? If not, I don't think you had a deal (although you and most reasonable people (me included) would think it was a deal at the time). If we had a Weak Sauce or Lame List, I'd second the nomination. But PL, I don't see it.

Fair enough. The buyer never expressly "took it" and I'll admit that, but I don't feel that I'm being at all unreasonable with my grievance. Ok then, I'll just make a note not to deal with the person in question again. Thanks for your time and input everybody.

Yea not an acceptance. He inquired about the possibility of could you do $100, you said yes, he needs to say "Ok thats a deal" or something to that affect. He's still a crappy person for not replying to any of your PMs with "sorry man I was just kicking the tires" but it is not probation worthy.

Just for the record, I've had people unable to pay, ask to pay later, etc and they contacted me and we worked it out. My main gripe here is being ignored. Consider the matter closed on my end though and Thank You everybody for your input. - Joel

The fact that removed himself from the PM thread without even responding to you is just uncalled for. At least make something up as to why you aren't going to pay for it. Or, you know, don't make a deal on something you have no intentions of buying.

Either way, really. ;)

He asked would I accept $100 and I said yes.

By this, I would say that's as good as the "takeit" guy.

-slym

Whomever did this to the seller needs a lesson in manners and empathy. However, it's just a touch short of a sealed deal.

Me asking someone "Would you let me slather your sister in butterscotch topping?" doesn't necessarily mean that, whatever your answer, that you will find her slathered thereby.