• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Just a quick update: I sent a PM earlier with the subject "Probation Discussions" and wouldn't ya know I just got a reply. Just sayin guys.... just sayin....

Just sayin' ? :facepalm:

To recap, after much prodding you supposedly shared the buyer's words in a quote where he asked if you were willing to accept $100 for a book, your response where you agreed to take $100 indicates that he inquired about two other books that you didn't have, obviously you aren't sharing the entire scope of what this potential buyer is saying.

Quit editing and/or paraphrasing the discussion if you are going to try and get people's opinions - sure you may just be omitting useless words but if you're asking for people's opinions then post the entire exchange, the context of the entire PM is relevant.

Also, if you are planning to share anything further...just post it all (with or without outing the buyer) rather than drag it on for a dozen more posts.

(thumbs u

This is the actual wording:

"Would you be willing to sell it for $100?

Im slowly going through your thread so there may be something else I'll like.

Maybe we can work a bundle up."

I SUPPOSE that it could be argued that this doesn't constitute a "take it", but the context supports the fact that it was sold. If the buyer didn't plan to buy the book and was merely asking if I would accept a lower price, why was I ignored for so long? There was no response like "Oh I didn't wanna actually commit yet" or anything so it's pretty clear to me.

But then again feel free to tell me I'm incorrect in my assumption, but to me the ignore, remove is very telling.

"Hello,

I can go $100 on the Hulk book. I don't have either of those 2 other books, but I have a couple thousand to sell so let me know if anything else comes to mind. I'll also be adding more books to the thread. Thanks - Joel

PS: Please claim the Hulk 377 in the thread."

After sending this message, I received one back by him inquiring as to whether I had other certain books. If he hadn't implied a sale, I'd assume that issue would have been taken with me saying "Please claim the Hulk 377 in the thread."

Hello,

I don't feel that my post deserves a :facepalm: I was merely pointing out the fact that while countless messages concerning the sale went ignored over a 1 month + period, a message with the subject "probation discussions" was answered within a few hours. I have absolutely nothing to hide and if the community deemed it necessary for me to provide screenshots I would have happily done so. I went out of my way to not name the buyer because I wasn't sure if I was in the right and didn't want to wrongly accuse anybody. And your accusation that I am editing or paraphrasing is completely unfounded.

To recap, after much prodding you supposedly shared the buyer's words in a quote where he asked if you were willing to accept $100 for a book, your response where you agreed to take $100 indicates that he inquired about two other books that you didn't have, obviously you aren't sharing the entire scope of what this potential buyer is saying.

So fair of you to imply that I "supposedly" shared the buyers words in a quote while also implying that I am "obviously" not sharing scope and context.

It's a done deal on my end and I'm over it, but implying that I FINALLY get an answer to a PM when the words probation discussion are used is irrelevant, is ridiculous. Thanks for your input.

Hello,

After accepting his offer, how did you know which two books he also desired that you could not sell to this buyer? Presumably this was via PM, was it a separate PM from the offer or the same PM?

Thanks for your input.

Please return to your home under the bridge bababooey. If you really feel the need to further discuss this, you are more than welcome to contact me via PM. Be forewarned though, any discussion that we may have will be taken completely out of context on my part. - Thanks for your trolling.

Just a quick update: I sent a PM earlier with the subject "Probation Discussions" and wouldn't ya know I just got a reply. Just sayin guys.... just sayin....

Just sayin' ? :facepalm:

Quit editing and/or paraphrasing the discussion if you are going to try and get people's opinions - sure you may just be omitting useless words but if you're asking for people's opinions then post the entire exchange, the context of the entire PM is relevant.

Also, if you are planning to share anything further...just post it all (with or without outing the buyer) rather than drag it on for a dozen more posts.

(thumbs u

This is the actual wording:

"Would you be willing to sell it for $100?

Im slowly going through your thread so there may be something else I'll like.

Maybe we can work a bundle up."

I SUPPOSE that it could be argued that this doesn't constitute a "take it", but the context supports the fact that it was sold. If the buyer didn't plan to buy the book and was merely asking if I would accept a lower price, why was I ignored for so long? There was no response like "Oh I didn't wanna actually commit yet" or anything so it's pretty clear to me.

But then again feel free to tell me I'm incorrect in my assumption, but to me the ignore, remove is very telling.

"Hello,

I can go $100 on the Hulk book. I don't have either of those 2 other books, but I have a couple thousand to sell so let me know if anything else comes to mind. I'll also be adding more books to the thread. Thanks - Joel

PS: Please claim the Hulk 377 in the thread."

After sending this message, I received one back by him inquiring as to whether I had other certain books. If he hadn't implied a sale, I'd assume that issue would have been taken with me saying "Please claim the Hulk 377 in the thread."

:popcorn:

Agreed.

Seriously?

I would as well. Turning this around if I asked someone if he would take $100 in a pm and he said yes then sold it to someone else I'd be upset as well.

I was very guilty of this in the past. :blush:

The asking price was a "no" for me but I'd PM sellers just to see what their wiggle room in price was. Sometimes you'd get a "sorry, can't do it" but sometimes you'd get - "I can do that. Just mark the thread."

I was doing it just to give me something to mull over. I've definitely toned it down as I regretably annoyed some sellers. :sorry::foryou:

But I don't think inquiring about wiggle room in price is the same as :takeit: if the seller would sell it at that price.

Just to give you something to think about, you can add me to the list of sellers this type of action would annoy. In my mind, it'd be like if you went to a convention and you walked by a booth:

You: Hey, would you accept $100 for that book?

Dealer: Sure! *turns around to start wrapping up the book*

You: Neat! *keeps on walking*

You definitely don't come off well in that situation. Again, just something to think about.

This is definitely the reason I ask people to post the :takeit: in the public thread to make the sale official once PM negotiations have concluded. I usually follow it up by telling them the book is still up for grabs until it is claimed. Some people prefer to remain anonymous and ask me to mark it as "Sold via PM", which I'm happy to do, but at least they've confirmed without a shadow of a doubt that they're committing to buying the book.

Some people mark up books to give themselves some flexibility in price or allow for a discount.

Some are very eager to move a book and may sell much lower than their asking price rather than dealing with eBay.

How would you know if they fall into either category unless you asked? I don't think it's completely wrong to PM a seller to start up a dialogue. You've never walked through a Con or LCS and looked at a wall book and just asked:

"Hey, just curious...any wiggle room on that book?"

I'd never inquire about price and just:

HarveySwick has removed themself from this topic.

and I'd be clear to say - "Just curious, could you do..."

I'm also pretty responsive so if I asked and you replied "sure" I wouldn't leave you waiting.

I think if you make your intentions clear it helps the situation.

Seriously?

I would as well. Turning this around if I asked someone if he would take $100 in a pm and he said yes then sold it to someone else I'd be upset as well.

I was very guilty of this in the past. :blush:

The asking price was a "no" for me but I'd PM sellers just to see what their wiggle room in price was. Sometimes you'd get a "sorry, can't do it" but sometimes you'd get - "I can do that. Just mark the thread."

I was doing it just to give me something to mull over. I've definitely toned it down as I regretably annoyed some sellers. :sorry::foryou:

But I don't think inquiring about wiggle room in price is the same as :takeit: if the seller would sell it at that price.

Just to give you something to think about, you can add me to the list of sellers this type of action would annoy. In my mind, it'd be like if you went to a convention and you walked by a booth:

You: Hey, would you accept $100 for that book?

Dealer: Sure! *turns around to start wrapping up the book*

You: Neat! *keeps on walking*

You definitely don't come off well in that situation. Again, just something to think about.

This is definitely the reason I ask people to post the :takeit: in the public thread to make the sale official once PM negotiations have concluded. I usually follow it up by telling them the book is still up for grabs until it is claimed. Some people prefer to remain anonymous and ask me to mark it as "Sold via PM", which I'm happy to do, but at least they've confirmed without a shadow of a doubt that they're committing to buying the book.

+1

Yeah, as a buyer, I'm of the opinion that until the :takeit: is posted, it's not really sold.

BUT.... It's on the buyer to be clear & let the seller know if they actually want it once they've initiated the negotiation to figure out a price. Just bailing on the conversation or walking away? Not even slightly cool. Not quite PL or HOS worthy, but definitely "well screw you too, buddy!" worthy. Buyers have a duty to be clear on if they actually want to buy the book or if they're just kicking the tires.

You've never walked through a Con or LCS and looked at a wall book and just asked:

I like that. lol Might have to try that at my next con.

Please return to your home under the bridge bababooey. If you really feel the need to further discuss this, you are more than welcome to contact me via PM. Be forewarned though, any discussion that we may have will be taken completely out of context on my part. - Thanks for your trolling.

It's not trolling for someone to request complete exposition of the subject. You are the one who brought it up for the forum's review and comment. You either edited the PMs or you didn't. If you didn't, prove it. If you did, especially if done to try and spin the exchange, then shame on you. As is often the case, you start to look worse than the semi-anonymous complainee, when you attack the people for providing you what you asked for in the first place.

It's not trolling for someone to request complete exposition of the subject. You are the one who brought it up for the forum's review and comment. You either edited the PMs or you didn't. If you didn't, prove it. If you did, especially if done to try and spin the exchange, then shame on you. As is often the case, you start to look worse than the semi-anonymous complainee, when you attack the people for providing you what you asked for in the first place.

Gotta disagree with ya there. When he asked a legitimate question he received a legitimate response and the follow up seemed to be nothing more than a question to create drama. Where is this edited PM's nonsense coming from anyway? The buyer in question is aware of this discussion and has apologized to me via PM. I'm not holding a grudge, but I would think that if he was in the right and I "edited" PM's, then he would be here stating his case. I come here in good faith while respectfully declining to "out" the buyer until I get all of the facts and suddenly my character is being questioned. Seems legit.

DuEnk2Dl.png

Are we done here?

Notice the distinct lack of "I didn't actually claim it" or something of the like. It all apparently came down to miscommunication, the buyer apologized and that's all she wrote.

Are we done here?

Ha! You shouldn't get upset when people ask for clarification. That's how this thread works.

If you want to keep these things private and unscrutinized, then you probably shouldn't make them public and ask for advice. :)

DuEnk2Dl.png

Are we done here?

Notice the distinct lack of "I didn't actually claim it" or something of the like. It all apparently came down to miscommunication, the buyer apologized and that's all she wrote.

Sure, we can be done unless someone else other than me finds it interesting that this "response to you" doesn't fit the timeline we've been presented. (shrug)

If you're in Detroit then this is clearly the buyer's second response to you and not the one you referred to last night in this thread. It's probably in response to a couple PM's from you but the fragment of the PM string you are sharing starts a half hour after you posted this:

#8501303 - Yesterday at 08:32 PM

My point is the same as my earlier one, if you want opinions, share the full context of the discussion so that people can give a fair assessment rather than decide based on what you cherry pick out of a discussion.

Just sayin'

:popcorn:

In general, it comes down to offer and acceptance, if either party specifies a price without condition the other party can accept that price.

If you're just tire kicking or fishing make it abundantly clear what you are inquiring only and not making an offer.

I would add that if the seller accepts the offer but adds a new condition (for clarity) that is not fulfilled (ie- the buyer placing a :takeit: in the thread) THEN simply accepting the offer isn't the final step, the seller has requested confirmation and by doing so has added a helpful but unnecessary step that gives the buyer an opportunity to reconsider their purchase decision so if you ask for confirmation and it doesn't come - it's not PL worthy.

I do think adding the extra confirmation step is a worthwhile step for sellers considering some potential buyers don't realize that their inquiries can be considered offers by many sellers.

Some people mark up books to give themselves some flexibility in price or allow for a discount.

Some are very eager to move a book and may sell much lower than their asking price rather than dealing with eBay.

How would you know if they fall into either category unless you asked? I don't think it's completely wrong to PM a seller to start up a dialogue. You've never walked through a Con or LCS and looked at a wall book and just asked:

and I'd be clear to say - "Just curious, could you do..."

I'm also pretty responsive so if I asked and you replied "sure" I wouldn't leave you waiting.

I think if you make your intentions clear it helps the situation.

I hear what you're saying.

To be clear, I'm not against trying to negotiate a better price. However, the difference between "Is there any wiggle room on the price?" and "Would you take $100 for this book?" is night and day. Once a number comes into play, a sale could be inferred.

And to give you an example of the company you're in, the last person to ask if I'd take $x.xx for a book without actually wanting the book was HusTruck. Just sayin'... :baiting: