• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

It's great that the PL system is in place to handle these types of issues and maybe I'm wrong but if I am taking an action like submitting someone to the PL then I have an idea on how I would like to have the issue resolved. :shrug:

If I'm the offended one, why wouldnt I already have an idea on how I could be made whole?

I understand what you're saying: while the PL serves as a warning, the primary objective of the PL is to get problem transactions completed.

Thus, when an offended party proposes a nomination, it's not simply to "get back at someone" but serve as an incentive to get the deal done.

So yes, the offended party should have at least a general idea of what would be needed to get the transaction satisfactorily completed.

However, there have been some problem transactions were the way forward is not readily clear. Initially, this looked like it could have been one of those transactions - buyer wants the book, seller sold the book and no longer has it.

In such cases, I would think the burden of finding a way to move forward would fall on the offender, not the offended.

This is why I was nominated.

No.

You were nominated because you unilaterally broke a deal which had terms that you and the buyer had both agreed upon.

So you feel absolutely no responsibility whatsoever to try and make things right with the buyer?

I actually don't think your expectation is unreasonable, but you two had agreed to proceed with the sales on different terms than "claim, pay, and ship". I too would be impatient if I had a sale go for as long as you did, but if I had a buyer that was going to take a while to pay for a book, unless its a high dollar book, I'd probably decline the sale.

If he would have told me "dude I can't buy the book, something came up", which happens all the time when I sell on Facebook or Instagram, I wouldn't have nominated him for probation.

I would have been frustrated, but I would have told him "no worries bro, next time."

I guess that's why I never expected this.

It's great that the PL system is in place to handle these types of issues and maybe I'm wrong but if I am taking an action like submitting someone to the PL then I have an idea on how I would like to have the issue resolved. :shrug:

If I'm the offended one, why wouldnt I already have an idea on how I could be made whole?

I understand what you're saying: while the PL serves as a warning, the primary objective of the PL is to get problem transactions completed.

Thus, when an offended party proposes a nomination, it's not simply to "get back at someone" but serve as an incentive to get the deal done.

So yes, the offended party should have at least a general idea of what would be needed to get the transaction satisfactorily completed.

However, there have been some problem transactions were the way forward is not readily clear. Initially, this looked like it could have been one of those transactions - buyer wants the book, seller sold the book and no longer has it.

In such cases, I would think the burden of finding a way to move forward would fall on the offender, not the offended.

This is why I was nominated.

No.

You were nominated because you unilaterally broke a deal which had terms that you and the buyer had both agreed upon.

So you feel absolutely no responsibility whatsoever to try and make things right with the buyer?

I told him I didn't mail the book yet and I would sell it to him, he declined.

Aaaaannnd we're done

Ok, thanks.

I am sorry... I honestly didn't think it was a big deal.

To you no, but for me I was expecting it.

I'm not gonna fight against another transaction you completed with someone else after the fact to get that comic back.

It's not worth it. I would rather not send my business your way.

I feel the same way brother.

Maybe you can explain to all of us why he's your "brother" in here yet at the same time you choose to call him a "ball-less " on Facebook. (shrug)

Ok, thanks.

I'm not gonna fight against another transaction you completed with someone else after the fact to get that comic back.

Maybe you can explain to all of us why he's your "brother" in here yet at the same time you choose to call him a "ball-less " on Facebook. (shrug)

Oooh check out the instigator.

I was P/Oed that I was nominated.

If the probation list is no longer on the table, other discussions should probably go elsewhere

Ok, thanks.

:o

Update those personal lists. (thumbs u

Ok, thanks.

:o

Update those personal lists. (thumbs u

That list is getting long......

Gem_Mint,

I've written some constructive critizism below. It's not intended as a pile-on, more like a wake-up call. Feel free to read it or ignore it, but know that you have work to do.

You are going about this completely incorrectly. Your sales practices don't make good business sense and you're coming off as very immature in this thread.

It's been said before and I'll say it again...communication is KEY! Like someone else posted, you should have contacted the original buyer before selling to a second buyer. Before it even got to that point, if it seems like an extended period of time to pay is going to put you in a tight spot, either don't agree to it or take a non-refundable deposit. All options are much better than what you did. I hope you take some time to reflect that you're not innocent in this matter.

I'll give you another example. I bought a few books from you earlier this year and they had been damaged due to improper packaging. I pointed it out to you and you just apologized and stated that you packed like that all the time. A great seller would have asked for pictures as a learning tool, offered a partial refund to compensate for the damage, offered an incentive on a future sale, offered and exchange, sent out a freebie, or any number of things to make the buyer feel like he didn't just get hosed. In our case, what you did wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either.

I hope you don't take this as just bashing you; instead, take this as the constructive criticizism it's meant to be. As a seller, you're in the "below average" to "average" range and you can easily change that. Lose the attitude, be open to suggestions, and treat your word like it has value. If you tell someone you are going to sell something to them, follow through. It's not different than buying something and not paying.

Gem_Mint,

I've written some constructive critizism below. It's not intended as a pile-on, more like a wake-up call. Feel free to read it or ignore it, but know that you have work to do.

You are going about this completely incorrectly. Your sales practices don't make good business sense and you're coming off as very immature in this thread.

It's been said before and I'll say it again...communication is KEY! Like someone else posted, you should have contacted the original buyer before selling to a second buyer. Before it even got to that point, if it seems like an extended period of time to pay is going to put you in a tight spot, either don't agree to it or take a non-refundable deposit. All options are much better than what you did. I hope you take some time to reflect that you're not innocent in this matter.

I'll give you another example. I bought a few books from you earlier this year and they had been damaged due to improper packaging. I pointed it out to you and you just apologized and stated that you packed like that all the time. A great seller would have asked for pictures as a learning tool, offered a partial refund to compensate for the damage, offered an incentive on a future sale, offered and exchange, sent out a freebie, or any number of things to make the buyer feel like he didn't just get hosed. In our case, what you did wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either.

I hope you don't take this as just bashing you; instead, take this as the constructive criticizism it's meant to be. As a seller, you're in the "below average" to "average" range and you can easily change that. Lose the attitude, be open to suggestions, and treat your word like it has value. If you tell someone you are going to sell something to them, follow through. It's not different than buying something and not paying.

Thanks for your input.

Ever since our deal, I have doubled up the amount of cardboard used for 1-3 books.

So i have learned from that experience.

I run an Instagram page with 3k followers. I buy and sell ALL the time. I average about 5 sales a day. Deals fall through ALL the time too.

I can see where I treated this more like Instagram than the forum which tends to be much more strict.

I won't make that mistake again.

I take responsibility. I agreed to the deal and I backed out. I should have never agreed to hold a book for that long and I won't be doing that again.

I can see where I treated this more like Instagram than the forum which tends to be much more strict.

It doesn't matter where you do the deal, your word needs to be kept. Even if others are tool bags.

Many of us do dozens or even 100's of deals a year on here and elsewhere and we see our share of douchbaggery. Non-paying bidders, time wasters, tire kickers and people who delay payment beyond the agreed upon time. You still need to take the high road and do the right thing.

And again, if there is a problem as many have stated communication is key. Whether something is changing and you're the buyer or the seller, simply communicating can resolve a multitude of potential problems.