• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

So my question is: did the buyer get the book?

i think it is "in the mail" (media)

The buyer waited how many days? (I dunno, never saw an official number) so I'm sure he can wait a few more.

Bullcarp. I have been slow to ship many times. But what I have not done is left buyers hanging, and disrespect them by not staying in contact. I stay in contact with them to let them know that I am mindful of the fact they have held up their end of the bargain, and that I, though not as quickly as I should, am going to hold up mine.

Is it childish to act like that? Yes (I should know about childish) but ultimately if the buyer gets the item he pays for, then things are ok.

No. They are not. They suck. At that point the seller has not done anything criminal. Nor likely anything for which any type of civil redress (other than your suggested shunning) is available. That is such a low bar. That is not OK.

tbtd4.gif

Funny...at the end of the day, it doesn't affect me one way or another and ultimately, its not my concern.

If you want to stage a witch hunt, be my guest but to get all fired up over such a small amount of money seems to be counterproductive.

No witch hunts...but no free passes or dismissals of poor behavior because it doesn't hit magical (and arbitrary) dollar figure.

Getting the books is not "all that matters".

Small amounts of money get people in trouble all the time. Failure to chip in a small amount for the proper shipping of an item (in this case to make up for his own mistake) is what it was worth to this seller to show himself for what he truly is selfish, self-interested, and ultimately, spiteful.

The term.. "Pennywise - Dollar Foolish" endures for a reason.

Whether it's done for $0.50 cents or $500 doesn't make the treatment any more or less improper.

Removing myself from this discussion b/c we clearly will not agree.

The buyer waited how many days? (I dunno, never saw an official number) so I'm sure he can wait a few more.

Bullcarp. I have been slow to ship many times. But what I have not done is left buyers hanging, and disrespect them by not staying in contact. I stay in contact with them to let them know that I am mindful of the fact they have held up their end of the bargain, and that I, though not as quickly as I should, am going to hold up mine.

Is it childish to act like that? Yes (I should know about childish) but ultimately if the buyer gets the item he pays for, then things are ok.

No. They are not. They suck. At that point the seller has not done anything criminal. Nor likely anything for which any type of civil redress (other than your suggested shunning) is available. That is such a low bar. That is not OK.

tbtd4.gif

Funny...at the end of the day, it doesn't affect me one way or another and ultimately, its not my concern.

If you want to stage a witch hunt, be my guest but to get all fired up over such a small amount of money seems to be counterproductive.

No witch hunts...but no free passes or dismissals of poor behavior because it doesn't hit magical (and arbitrary) dollar figure.

Small amounts of money get people in trouble all the time. Failure to chip in a small amount for the proper shipping of an item (in this case to make up for his own mistake) is what it was worth to this seller to show himself for what he truly is selfish, self-interested, and ultimately, spiteful.

Whether it's done for $0.50 cents or $500 doesn't make the treatment any more or less improper.

Probably for the best. I don't set a minimum dollar value before someone being treated poorly is worth my time.

Thinking that "as long as the buyer eventually gets it" excuses poor behavior and makes everything ok opens the door to people doing all sorts of things that are just plain to each other.

When you take someone's money you take on responsibility. Shipping in a way that's most convenient to you, and as cheap as possible for you, is incredibly short sighted.

Setting an arbitrary monetary bar before you can get annoyed at someone because "it's too small a transaction" is the kind of thinking that allows people with crappy people skills and junk customer service to fly under the radar and do it to people over and over again.

It would be more effective a tool to teach a seller to do the right thing if they got called out when they shipped something the way that cost them the least instead of the right way.

tbtd4.gif

Probably for the best. I don't set a minimum dollar value before someone being treated poorly is worth my time.

Neither do I so don't assume I do

Thinking that "as long as the buyer eventually gets it" excuses poor behavior and makes everything ok opens the door to people doing all sorts of things that are just plain to each other.

I never once excused his behavior, just looking at the big picture

When you take someone's money you take on responsibility. Shipping in a way that's most convenient to you, and as cheap as possible for you, is incredibly short sighted.

Please don't preach to me; I'm an adult and expect to be treated as such

Setting an arbitrary monetary bar before you can get annoyed at someone because "it's too small a transaction" is the kind of thinking that allows people with crappy people skills and junk customer service to fly under the radar and do it to people over and over again.

It would be more effective a tool to teach a seller to do the right thing if they got called out when they shipped something the way that cost them the least instead of the right way.

You cannot teach someone who appears not willing to learn

tbtd4.gif

tbwkp.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

Definitely the attitude I look for when determining where to buy my comics (or anything) from.

It's not attitude (although I see how you can read it as such). It's examining the issue as of right now, not 30+ days ago.

The buyer really has two realistic options: 1) wait for his purchase or 2) request a refund.

If there are other options, then please fill me in as I'm unaware of them?

I am not excusing anyone for the long delay in shipping. 95% of the time I ship next day b/c frankly, its the right thing to do.

But I ask: what else can the buyer do?

And sorry to disappoint, but there's no attitude involved in that statement whatsoever.

That's another debate....most of the real offense taken was the fact that he dropped a deuce on the buyer's forehead by being so late to ship and then took a figurative wiz on the buyer's pillow case by shipping it by the slowest of slow boats...."But I gave him free stuff to make up for it!"...was the $1 bill left on the nightstand as he left.

It's a strange story, when he is buying and selling other stuff in between. Usually that sort of story would be attached to financial pressures. But if he was active financially in the interim it seems like the most likely cases would be:

-actually forgot, and hiding it

-lost the book, and trying to find or replace it

-double sold the book, and trying to find a replacement.

Actually, he made reference more than once that the book was sold too cheaply (auction result) and that the buyer got a great deal, etc etc. Basically, it was a very thinly veiled allusion to having seller's remorse, thinking the book should have sold for more, and being in no hurry to give the buyer the book he consented to sell him.

He mentioned more than once being willing to refund the seller. Sold a book too cheaply (by his estimation), dragged his feet making broken shipping promise after broken shipping promise, and then offered money back. Of course he offered money back.

The media mail was the final poke in the eye of a self-absorbed seller, with a case of severe sour grapes, willing to let his admittedly to-quote-smiley-emoticon.gif "vaunted" to-quote-smiley-emoticon.gif selling reputation get pilloried for a $60 slab.

Yup.. Probably hoping the seller would forget, go-away etc so he could "crack open the slab and resub since it should have been a 9.8 anyway" or was it a 9.9?

Definitely the attitude I look for when determining where to buy my comics (or anything) from.

It's not attitude (although I see how you can read it as such). It's examining the issue as of right now, not 30+ days ago.

The buyer really has two realistic options: 1) wait for his purchase or 2) request a refund.

I am not excusing anyone for the long delay in shipping. 95% of the time I ship next day b/c frankly, its the right thing to do.

And sorry to disappoint, but there's no attitude involved in that statement whatsoever.

Dude, it's much different in this thread these days. They need their pound of flesh.

True, the buyer does not have a lot of options; but this is not about the buyer. The seller, however, has many options and chose one of the slowest, cheapest ways possible to ship an item 30+ days after he was paid for it.

And your post "appears" (I don't want to read into things here) to be cool with that.

After reading this thread, do you really think the way you post is helping your business?

I know, you are an adult and know what you are doing. lol Sure seems like it.

Keep digging that hole.

After reading this thread, do you really think the way you post is helping your business?

I know, you are an adult and know what you are doing. lol Sure seems like it.

Keep digging that hole.

He doesn't need this board to help his business any longer, he'll be just fine.

Do you really think that CAK was bullied, and if so, do you think he was bullied into his poor decisions, poor customer service, and belligerent/defiantly clueless responses?

I wasnt commenting on his case, talking generally. I dont even know what happened, but I have seen him post some on the edge things before, I have no doubt he deserved whatever happened to him.

I was replying to other users posts, and then just waxing poetic on a certain sub-culture that is allowed to pervade certain portions of the board.

The jokes about trying to bait someone into getting themselves banned, and others cheering it on, just got me reminiscing.

Ah ok.

Well, CAK is a special case.

It's hard for me to believe he's this clueless, that it's not some Andy Kauffman-esque troll/performance art/practical joke at our expense.

He sells a guy a book, prints out shipping information immediately, then strings him along for a month not actually shipping it. Then he keeps complaining how busy he is, in excruciating and completely unnecessary detail. Fire pits installed, bobcats shunned, eBay feedback puffery engaged in (Almost 103 by Now!!!), buffering pads utilized, etc etc. but no time to actually take the box to the PO for over a month.

In that month span of time where the self-described expert comic seller and shipper cannot be bothered to actually ship the comics he sold, he felt free to sell and ship other comics, to attend the Baltimore comic con to buy and sell and grade more comics, and to come on here and drop Cleveland Steamer after Cleveland Steamer of unwanted, unsolicited, and unhelpful advice all over this forum (in other people's sales threads too) at the rate of 2-3 dumps per day.

When called out, nominate for the PL, taken to task for his failures....he deflects, gazes deeply and lovingly into his own navel (which must have the gravitational pull of a black hole being that he cannot seem to escape it), and comes back with attacks and excuses and tales of personal woe and malaise.

Finally, he tells the buyer that he shipped his exceedingly long overdue book......media mail.

:applause:

Amazing synopsis. Bravo

I didn't realize the CGC forum is so insulated that it would exclude word of mouth about someone's reputation. Good to know. hm

This is where Cool Books come in to play.

Are they cool if they are overpriced?

I didn't realize the CGC forum is so insulated that it would exclude word of mouth about someone's reputation. Good to know. hm

In the sellers eyes, that makes them even cooler! :banana:

It really depends on how much the sucker customer/buddy/pal wants the book.