• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Yeah a Voldemort 9.6 . I can't take a good picture of the top staple but it has a bit of noticeable rust next to the paper , and what looks like transfer to the paper. I'm sure the inside has issues too. The Foxing/ staining is light but still fugly for a 9.6.

No flipping way.

Show the front with label, please.

Yeah a Voldemort 9.6 . I can't take a good picture of the top staple but it has a bit of noticeable rust next to the paper , and what looks like transfer to the paper. I'm sure the inside has issues too. The Foxing/ staining is light but still fugly for a 9.6.

No flipping way.

I'm assuming it's this book:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-268-CBCS-CGC-NM-9-6-JC-Penney-Vintage-Pack-1992-Reprint-/201398457693

No flipping way.

I'm assuming it's this book:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-268-CBCS-CGC-NM-9-6-JC-Penney-Vintage-Pack-1992-Reprint-/201398457693

Not trying to hate on them, good people working there. 3 steve's, 1 love baby, but they were gifting grades so, so hard in chicago.

Is it possible for that to happen after slabbing?

If stored improperly, yes. Not saying that's the case here but staples can and do rust inside of a slab

True. Given how short a time from they've been grading I can't imagine this one was done long ago.

Amazing how close up and crystal clear the front cover image is in that auction and how, purely by happenstance I am sure, the back cover image is taken from further away and is blurry. A happy coincidence that the blurry pic hid all those defects.

I loves me some coincidences.... :whee:

If stored improperly, yes. Not saying that's the case here but staples can and do rust inside of a slab

True. Given how short a time from they've been grading I can't imagine this one was done long ago.

Amazing how close up and crystal clear the front cover image is in that auction and how, purely by happenstance I am sure, the back cover image is taken from further away and is blurry. A happy coincidence that the blurry pic hid all those defects.

There's no problem with the auction as he was selling a graded book. He didn't grade it, another company did. You don't agree with the grade, don't buy the book. AND there's this little nugget:

"Returns: Hassle-free returns"

So you don't approve, send it back.

While the BC image is a little further away, he's not misrepresenting the book.

There's no issue here, but I'm sure the pile on crew will find one.

There's no problem with the auction as he was selling a graded book. He didn't grade it, another company did. You don't agree with the grade, don't buy the book. AND there's this little nugget:

Brock,

I've stated that the buyer should send the book back and wash his hands of it. But you have to admit, the adage is "Buy the book, not the label" and it's kind of hard to buy the book when the back cover image (the part of the book with the issues) is blurry and hard to see (some would say obsfucating the problems, thus misrepresenting the book)

He's not misrepresenting the book, in words, but that blurry, further away, back cover pic certainly didn't hurt his chances of selling. A larger one (as close and clear as the front cover) may have kept people from bidding.

When I see a discrepancy in image size and quality within a single auction listing, and that discrepancy in image size and quality just so happens to help conceal some major defects, it's hard to see the randomness in the universe that you do.

Since we're quoting from the auction you missed this little nugget:

"we do NOT subject our customers to poor shipping practices"

I wonder if a return shipping will be as "hassle free" as the initial shipping.

Brock,

I've stated that the buyer should send the book back and wash his hands of it. But you have to admit, the adage is "Buy the book, not the label" and it's kind of hard to buy the book when the back cover image (the part of the book with the issues) is blurry and hard to see (some would say obsfucating the problems, thus misrepresenting the book)

I agree...which is why I edited my initial response to include the "returns" clause.

Do I feel it's accurately graded? Honestly I wouldn't answer that question b/c I can make the case for every grading company as they all make mistakes.

Would I send it back? Absolutely! And I believe that PayPal might even cover the return shipping (read about that somewhere).

The point I was trying to make was that he sold a graded 9.6. It's still a graded book regardless of the images provided.

Could he have done better? Oh yeah, he definitely has his share of problems. But I don't feel that he misrepresented the book.

And the grade of the book wasn't called into question by the mob..it was his slow shipping speed and carefree attitude.

In summary: he doesn't like it, send it back. But the book wasn't advertised as anything but a 9.6.

And the grade of the book wasn't called into question by the mob..it was his slow shipping speed and carefree attitude.

That's because no one here could see the back cover until he received the book and posted a back cover scan that was clear enough to see the problems.

"The Mob™" lol

He's not misrepresenting the book, in words, but that blurry, further away, back cover pic certainly didn't hurt his chances of selling. A larger one (as close and clear as the front cover) may have kept people from bidding.

When I see a discrepancy in image size and quality within a single auction listing, and that discrepancy in image size and quality just so happens to help conceal some major defects, it's hard to see the randomness in the universe that you do.

Since we're quoting from the auction you missed this little nugget:

"we do NOT subject our customers to poor shipping practices"

I wonder if a return shipping will be as "hassle free" as the initial shipping.

I actually agree with what you're saying. And I concur that the fuzzy back cover photo doesn't help and may have discouraged the buyer from taking the book. But it may not have. I don't know the buyers thoughts at the time of purchase.

And I fully support the argument that he failed when it came to shipping the book in a timely manner.

The decision to return the book is the buyers and I think he should based on multiple factors. It would certainly be an interesting experiment.

That's because no one here could see the back cover until he received the book and posted a back cover scan that was clear enough to see the problems.

"The Mob™" lol

Then simply return the book. PayPal will make it easy.

And now I have two trademarks: The Mob and bomics

Real Estate attorneys don't deal in trademarks

"The Mob™" lol

Then simply return the book. PayPal will make it easy.

And now I have two trademarks: The Mob and bomics

Real Estate attorneys don't deal in trademarks

Your google-fu fails you. lol

1/2 smart leaves 1/2 something else.

Duh. A press and a dry clean is what every book needs.

One day science will make it possible for every book to be returned to its original pristine condition.

We will all own perfect copies of every book.

And all our collections will then be rendered worthless.

And it will be the end of the world.