• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Of course he does, which is why it works just the way it is, notwithstanding the comments from the peanut gallery. :grin:

I'd stop grinning, since a lot of people also thought the 30-day waiting period was unworkable for buyers, and I don't think anyone wanted an immediate lynching, but maybe something more like 10 days.

After all, the only reason it's 30 days is to give the items time to be shipped and received.

Actually, I'm all for lowering both to 10 days (US) 15 days (CA) 20 days (Int) :grin:

Of course he does, which is why it works just the way it is, notwithstanding the comments from the peanut gallery. :grin:

I'd stop grinning, since a lot of people also thought the 30-day waiting period was unworkable for buyers, and I don't think anyone wanted an immediate lynching, but maybe something more like 10 days.

After all, the only reason it's 30 days is to give the items time to be shipped and received.

Actually, I'm all for lowering both to 10 days (US) 15 days (CA) 20 days (Int) :grin:

+ 1

+ 1

Did California finally cecede that it gets 15 days? (shrug)

hell, let's make it so.

joe had a good point about the nature of the 30 day thing. i would think 30 days would be a good amount of time for someone to wait on books that have been sent to make sure they arrive before there is a tar and feathering but for people who have committed to buy and not followed through, a week and a half is plenty

I'm really against the 15 days (CA). Since just before Christmas, I've sent a number of packages to branget the day he paid me for them, sent them international priority (6-10 day delivery) and not have them even leave the states until 15 days even though I did pay for the priority.

In fact I had one instance around the beginning of January where I sent Boozad (in England) and Branget (in Canada) packages on the same day, and Boozad got his just at two weeks and Branget received his after 3 1/2 weeks.

I always send out the delivery confirmation number, so that my recipients know its been posted and can check online to see that I dropped it off, but 15 days to Canada (unless you just happen to live very close to one of the processing centers) is sometimes out of the seller's hands.

I'm really against the 15 days (CA). Since just before Christmas, I've sent a number of packages to branget the day he paid me for them, sent them international priority (6-10 day delivery) and not have them even leave the states until 15 days even though I did pay for the priority.

In fact I had one instance around the beginning of January where I sent Boozad (in England) and Branget (in Canada) packages on the same day, and Boozad got his just at two weeks and Branget received his after 3 1/2 weeks.

I always send out the delivery confirmation number, so that my recipients know its been posted and can check online to see that I dropped it off, but 15 days to Canada (unless you just happen to live very close to one of the processing centers) is sometimes out of the seller's hands.

Sorry to hear that - Why don't those Dallas guys get their act together? I routinely send Priority packages around the world that get delivered in 7 days . . . or less. :sumo:

Are you internet shipping? hm

I sent a single book to Juggernaut in Canada a couple of months ago - it took 6-7 weeks to show up.

My personal opinion is that if the seller can prove the items have been sent, there should be a bit of leeway with the number of days they're given before they get added to the probation list. Sending stuff media mail within the US sometimes takes longer than 10 days as well.

I can't get parcels delivered within Canada in 7 days, let alone internationally. (shrug)

Priority in the States is 3 days, rarely longer. :D

Priority in the States is not guaranteed, it may take 2-3 days but I have had customers come to me at work asking why didn't the parcel get there in 2-3 day. I have seen stuff take up to 6 days priority mail. I feel that the seller needs a Del Comp number within the time frame to cover himself to show that he put it in the mail stream.

Edited by 8milemax

I think the rule should stay at 30 days, but a bylaw should be added that if a buyer flat out refuses payment, he can be added immediately after being outed.

Very good, this makes perfect sense. I see no reason to change the 30 day period outside of this particular situation. I don’t see a rash of complaints recently and I don’t see people exploiting the 30 day rule. Sure rules are a good thing to have, but making up new ones and modifying the old ones on a whim seems like a waste. Not to mention that it will be confusing, and that confusion will be much more destructive than keeping the old rules in place. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

I think the rule should stay at 30 days, but a bylaw should be added that if a buyer flat out refuses payment, he can be added immediately after being outed.

Or after about 2 weeks for a seller when the books don't arrive and they can't provide tracking info and/or don't reply to PMs.

Very good, this makes perfect sense. I see no reason to change the 30 day period outside of this particular situation. I dont see a rash of complaints recently and I dont see people exploiting the 30 day rule. Sure rules are a good thing to have, but making up new ones and modifying the old ones on a whim seems like a waste. Not to mention that it will be confusing, and that confusion will be much more destructive than keeping the old rules in place. If it aint broke dont fix it.

I would have to agree with this and Jason's early comment. For whatever reason of late Canada Post has not exactly been efficient in getting packages to folks in a timely manner. Currently, if I have a selling thread I am more than happy to ship internationally. However, I am not willing to put my good name on the line on a bet that something can make it across borders in a little more than two weeks. Think this would cause a bit of a chilling effect with sellers further limiting who they are willing to sell to. Of course, the counter-argument here is that when it arrives several days or a week later you are removed from the list. However, people here have a long memory for past misdeeds, but maybe not the details as much :shrug: It will be remembered that you were on probation and likely mentioned by someone, again hitting your reputation for reliability. Anyway, just some thoughts hm

i have had no problems with Canada so I might be the lucky one. I shipped to buyers in Canada quite a few times and they got the books in about a week or so.

I usually get my stuff in about a week too, but there is the odd package that Canada Customs takes a special interest in, and the delay can be 1-2 weeks or more. I guess there's a backlog right now, so if a package gets tagged, it can easily take over 2 weeks to get here.

30 days for sellers and 10 days for buyers seems logical to me.

i have had no problems with Canada so I might be the lucky one. I shipped to buyers in Canada quite a few times and they got the books in about a week or so.

I usually get my stuff in about a week too, but there is the odd package that Canada Customs takes a special interest in, and the delay can be 1-2 weeks or more. I guess there's a backlog right now, so if a package gets tagged, it can easily take over 2 weeks to get here.

30 days for sellers and 10 days for buyers seems logical to me.

30 days is way too long for intra-country shipments. Otherwise this sounds fine to me. Realistically, I expect payment within 3 days, and I expect shipments within 10 days, probably because that's all I'm willing to allow myself. It comes down to this: If you don't have the money, or access to it, then don't post the little guy. And if your too lazy to ship efficiently then take it to eBay.