• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I mistakenly had someone added to the probie list over an Ebay transaction when I 1st joined the boards.

I was going to request adding you for beating me to a Vengeance of Bane a few months ago. That's just wrong!

:taptaptap:

:shy:

Thanks Jeff :grin:

I mistakenly had someone added to the probie list over an Ebay transaction when I 1st joined the boards.

I was going to request adding you for beating me to a Vengeance of Bane a few months ago. That's just wrong!

:whistle:

It's now in the UK :gossip:

Not quite yet :juggle:

Just the Prob. list being used for non-public sales seems a bit off to me so I needed to work it through.

So you're saying it's OK to rip people off through PM?

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying.

:o

:whistle:

It's now in the UK :gossip:

Not quite yet :juggle:

:cry:

I see how it goes. The UK/Canada team versus USA, again.

Put 'em both on the probation list.

I think it seems pretty cut and dry.

Seller (branget) at all times acted in good faith and disclosed all important information before the sale was finalized.

Buyer acted very dishonestly and backed out of sale (in a horrible manner) that he agreed to complete.

I think it seems pretty cut and dry.

Seller (branget) at all times acted in good faith and disclosed all important information before the sale was finalized.

Buyer acted very dishonestly and backed out of sale (in a horrible manner) that he agreed to complete.

(thumbs u

What was the reasoning behind his demands? Divad needs all the details so he can come to a ruling(or I'm just overly curious).

Just for the record, Divad doesn't make the final decision to put someone on the Probation List; it's up to the complainant.

Can the mods read PMs to confirm sales agreements through PMs? I don't want to question anyone's honesty, but we are talking about putting someone on the probation list without any public evidence that an agreement of a sale even existed.

Being that there was a paypal payment made we have evidence of a transaction that was agreed to. Why would the buyer pay for an item if no agreement of a sale existed?

Branget made an error in informing the buyer of availability and moved to correct that error. To his credit, Branget gave the buyer an option to rescind the contract for sale at that time, given the new information.

When the buyer, given all the necessary and new information on the 6th decided to continue the agreement he, in effect, created a new agreement for sale, one that he freely agreed to.

The time for rescission was at the time Branget offered it as an option. Once the buyer freely decided to continue with the transaction at that point both parties were bound to perform. Branget relied on the payment and on the buyer's word that he would perform as promised.

Finally, I think you are mistaken about the purpose of the probation list. It is for ALL BOARD transaction, not for public board transaction, or sale thread transactions. It is for all transactions initiated on this board and through this board. A transaction created out of a WTB Thread has just as much a proper place on the probation list as a sales thread issue.

Best,

Chris

Can the mods read PMs to confirm sales agreements through PMs? I don't want to question anyone's honesty, but we are talking about putting someone on the probation list without any public evidence that an agreement of a sale even existed.

Being that there was a paypal payment made we have evidence of a transaction that was agreed to. Why would the buyer pay for an item if no agreement of a sale existed?

Branget made an error in informing the buyer of availability and moved to correct that error. To his credit, Branget gave the buyer an option to rescind the contract for sale at that time, given the new information.

When the buyer, given all the necessary and new information on the 6th decided to continue the agreement he, in effect, created a new agreement for sale, one that he freely agreed to.

The time for rescission was at the time Branget offered it as an option. Once the buyer freely decided to continue with the transaction at that point both parties were bound to perform. Branget relied on the payment and on the buyer's word that he would perform as promised.

Finally, I think you are mistaken about the purpose of the probation list. It is for ALL BOARD transaction, not for public board transaction, or sale thread transactions. It is for all transactions initiated on this board and through this board. A transaction created out of a WTB Thread has just as much a proper place on the probation list as a sales thread issue.

Best,

Chris

Very Well Written

Being that there was a paypal payment made we have evidence of a transaction that was agreed to.

No we don't - because we don't have evidence of that. Because it was done privately.

All this is probably true, but we don't know any of it. We believe it because we believe branget. We don't know it because it was done privately.

My concern isn't that the transaction came from a WTB thread -- it didn't. The buyer has in fact only posted in 2 threads ever, 1 WTB thread and branget didn't post in it. My concern is that the transaction occurred entirely via Private Message.

That's my issue here is there's no public indication at all between the "buyer" and the "seller" of this transaction. Now the buyer's on the probation list over a sale we all believe happened.

I'm saying this is messy, and if people want community support and assistance (i.e. bad sellers/buyers going on the probation list) then there ought to be some community indication of the sale in the first place.

Being that there was a paypal payment made we have evidence of a transaction that was agreed to.

No we don't - because we don't have evidence of that. Because it was done privately.

All payments are done "Privately". Being that this is the "internet" and not a "convention sales floor" everyone pays everyone "privately". I would challenge you to show me a single instance where money changed hands in public on this forum. As well, the probation list was never for just sales thread violations, it was and is for ALL transactions that take place because of communication that began on this board, whether by PM or by posted message.

Every transaction has several portions of it that are completed outside the all seeing eye of this forum. That doesn't mean, however, that they didn't happen.

Based on your criteria, there is never an instance in which a seller can place a buyer on the probation list because no one here can "prove" that they weren't paid.

Sure they "said" that paypal was never sent, or that a chargeback was made, or that they never got a check or money order, but since the payment was "private" they have no proof.

Based on where you are setting the bar it would be nearly impossible to place anyone on the probation list. No one can prove that they "didn't get paid", can they? That's never been a criteria of the probation list and being that it allows for the ones committing the infractions to get off scott free it isn't going to be added any time soon.

The buyer is more than welcome to come to this forum and state his case and present his side of it. If he refuses to do so, or doesn't want to he doesn't get a presumption of innocence he gets a judgment against him by default.

All this is probably true, but we don't know any of it. We believe it because we believe branget. We don't know it because it was done privately.

My concern isn't that the transaction came from a WTB thread -- it didn't. The buyer has in fact only posted in 2 threads ever, 1 WTB thread and branget didn't post in it. My concern is that the transaction occurred entirely via Private Message.

That's my issue here is there's no public indication at all between the "buyer" and the "seller" of this transaction. Now the buyer's on the probation list over a sale we all believe happened.

I'm saying this is messy, and if people want community support and assistance (i.e. bad sellers/buyers going on the probation list) then there ought to be some community indication of the sale in the first place.

This reasoning doesn't really make sense to me.

The public never see's the paypal transactions, PM's, among many other variables.

I believe he's been added to the probation list. It will now be up to him to get off.

All PP payments are private.

So if someone posts the little guy and then pulls out of the deal via PM, you wouldn't believe it as it was done privately? You want to see public flakes for it to be list-worthy?

Wrong.

Best,

Chris

Very Well Written

Sounds like 8 years of law school really paid off.

I didn't spend 8 years in Evil Law School to be called "Mister"

dr_evil.jpg