• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Good to know, thanks! (thumbs u

I just looked it up and confirmed, too. Very strange; the PO either changed that option or I was misinformed at some point.

It IS good to know, since the USPS web site itself does not allow you to print Media Mail online.

I just looked it up and confirmed, too. Very strange; the PO either changed that option or I was misinformed at some point.

It IS good to know, since the USPS web site itself does not allow you to print Media Mail online.

Since MM is treated like the stepchild of shipping options by the PO, I consider DC to be a requirement if shipping using that method.

I think it keeps them from neglecting those poor MM packages moreso than otherwise: "I better get those ones moved out of here at least; they've got DC...."

psa_copy.jpg

Psst, I am a Rural Carrier. I can tell you that currently Delivery Confirmation in the USPS is not a good tracking method compared to other companies. It is generally a bar code that has a scan only recorded as data(what the customer can see on the website) at the start and end(received time and delivered time).

The points along the way where a DC is scanned are only done to figure out who messed up if one gets misplaced or not delivered properly. The affect has been to slow down the carriers in the morning. The clerks who sort the parcels by route now have to delay the carriers from getting them, by scanning them all again. They have been doing this for almost two years now. The parcels may be sorted(not necessarily correctly) at say 8:30 AM, but then they scan the city routes parcels individually, and the PO box section. After doing those they finally begin scanning the other carrier parcels. That takes them about 25 minutes, so the carriers often leave that much later each day. Has anyone noticed how hot it's been?

The DC is a nice tool, but it does not help with delivery accuracy or timeliness of any class of parcels. The media mail can still be delayed if overall volume is very high for a given day. The speed of media mail and parcel select or bulk mail is at the mercy of random mail volume. It might go just as fast as 1st class, but if it got buried in a mail volume back up of a big PO, it might not move for days.

The 1st class mail and other high priority mail types cannot be put off, ever, by anyone. Yes I know it happens, but I know it doesn't at the delivery end. In any delivery offices, there are frequent inspections by daily supervisors, or actual inspectors(over the head of the post master) who go to offices randomly. Any delays will not be at the end, but at any step from the start location to the delivery location, the big PO's in between. That's where massive volumes of mail are handled, sorted etc, by mail handlers and other drivers or clerks. BTW, everyone in the USPS is an hourly employee except for the Post Masters, Postal Inspectors, or Rural Carriers. We few are on salary, and generally you don't find time wasting examples of those people.

If you care about your parcels, and comics are very fragile, then pack them with lots of packing materials, bigger boxes, never envelopes, and avoid slow mail classes like MM. All parcels are tossed, literally, together on top of each other by clerks, into large hampers a distance away from them. Assume each parcel will be hit by another parcel of up to 75 pounds, from a distance of possibly 25 feet.

Pack them very well, very very well. Only Registered Mail or Express Mail doesn't go through that normal parcel sorting process. They are hand sorted only, and scanned at each step for each new employee transporting them.

Hopefully someday the scanning done on other types of mail will be available for the customers. I know that some of the Delivery Confirmation scans besides start and end are getting recorded for the customer, but very little so far. I think that is in testing to decide which scans to make available, and which not to.

Since MM is treated like the stepchild of shipping options by the PO, I consider DC to be a requirement if shipping using that method.

I think it keeps them from neglecting those poor MM packages moreso than otherwise: "I better get those ones moved out of here at least; they've got DC...."

Right, I am pretty sure when you select MM in ebay or paypal you don't even have the option to not use DC, the .19 is applied automatically for me.

They changed the option, I think it was like 5 years ago you couldn`t do it, with so many people selling dvds,books,videogames the usps was forced to include delivery confirmations, of course you have to pay extra for the fee.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

FYI, in any delivery PO, there is a group of parcel hampers arranged typically in a "U" shape. The parcels for that PO are sorted by one person standing in the middle and individually tossing each one into the right hamper. Small offices might have the person standing within say ten feet of the farthest hamper. Large offices can easily have the farthest hamper some 20 feet or so away.

Of course they don't toss the really big or heavy stuff the farthest distance. I mentioned the typical maximum distances and weight. Most of the big stuff is hand carried and set down into hampers or at the carrier's case.

It doesn't take much to hurt a poorly packed fragile item. If you have a package with a thin exterior and little to no packing materials, how much does it take to reach the article inside with another parcel tossed on top of it? Imagine that when you pack something, try to build a barrier between the article and the outside box surface. Regards,

FYI, in any delivery PO, there is a group of parcel hampers arranged typically in a "U" shape. The parcels for that PO are sorted by one person standing in the middle and individually tossing each one into the right hamper. Small offices might have the person standing within say ten feet of the farthest hamper. Large offices can easily have the farthest hamper some 20 feet or so away.

Of course they don't toss the really big or heavy stuff the farthest distance. I mentioned the typical maximum distances and weight. Most of the big stuff is hand carried and set down into hampers or at the carrier's case.

It doesn't take much to hurt a poorly packed fragile item. If you have a package with a thin exterior and little to no packing materials, how much does it take to reach the article inside with another parcel tossed on top of it? Imagine that when you pack something, try to build a barrier between the article and the outside box surface. Regards,

Like the book I just sent you brotha! Envision destruction, and plan against it... lol:headbang:

Edited by trmoore54

Why are we talking about our NBA Postal All-Stars?

Can we get back to our regularly scheduled soap opera? :baiting:

+1 I wonder if he got his balls dragged to the PO today??

(thumbs u Me, too. I haven't been so addicted to drama since "Who shot J.R.?"

mine was shipped 8/6 w/o tracking number- not here yet and no responses from dan. I feel like an idio-- getting involved in this nonsense. Every board member I've sold to or bought from have been super cool except this experience . This sucks!!

Edited by SpiderTurtle

I never really get into Probation Discussions, but just happened upon this one.

Just a few thoughts...

First LTS is pregnant and I think it best to try and keep her out of this as much as possible. Poor thing is going through a tough time I am sure and needs to keep the stress off as much as possible.

Secondly, I have sold to Danimal. Been great to me in the past and I hope he can figure this all out. It is a daunting task to ship out a lot of books, I know from the past 2 weeks, but getting the process started with addresses, packing up the books etc will get easier and easier and a sense of accomplishment will ensue.

Dan, if you are reading this, sounds like you are going to be a father soon and the only advice I can give you is to get this all sorted out. PM those people and apologize 1 person at a time with a tracking # and more than likely each and everyone of those people will forgive you.

Hope you and LTS are both well and can settle this all up. The boards are forgiving and will if you follow through.

Best of luck