• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Abuse? The guy had a problem and seemed to try to deal with it in a private matter.

Did he switch books? Who knows. It's $6 bucks.

I have messed up before on the boards and i gave a full refund and walked away and the person bought from me at a later date and time without a issue. I learned to tighten up my grading. And stay in constant communication with the buyer.

Nice books. So why do you think there could be no flaws due to shipment?

And I believe the entire conversation was that he'd be out half his money if he returned the books anyway. Working out a partial refund on low dollar books (or in my case high postage costs) makes sense usually.

Thirteen packages sent to thirteen different buyers without damage to the books inside. Instead I received kudos like:

Great communication. Great packaging. Comic arrived just as described. Would definitely recommend and do business with again.

Great guy to deal with. Excellent communication. Great shipping. Great comics. Highly recommended, will buy from again!

You realize that this is all over a $6.00 difference in a refund? On the chance that you are wrong, wouldn't it be easier to just give him the $6.00? A little bit of kindness in a transaction can go a long way.

What disturbs me, and I'm sure other people here as well, is your statement about the book being worth more somewhere else. That is not relevant at all, this is where you sold it. Lots of people, (including myself) sell things here on a regular basis for less than we might get on eBay. The premise for me is, there are no fees here, and the transactions are less worrisome. That's the joy of this marketplace.

The buyer got the books that were advertised. His problem was that "I told him the books were 9.8s and they were not 9.8s". If he asked to return the books and I said no perhaps I would have been unreasonable. After all his complaints he still wanted the books. Since he wanted to keep the books the value of the books was relevant.

Chew 17 and 18 in worse condition than these were going on ebay for $11-12 each. After the partial refund I gave out I got a whopping $13 for both books. Had I given him another $6 I would have gotten $7 for both.

While my first instinct throughout this whole process was to please the customer it did not take me long to realize that I was either dealing with a crazy person or a dishonest one. Could I have given up more? Yes Should I have given up more? Maybe Would doing so have made anything better? In this case I really don't think so.

Would you be willing to compromise, take the books back and if you think you did make a mistake, refund the shipping?

I was willing to and did make a compromise.

A return would have been accepted earlier but I think that ship has sailed now.

Abuse? The guy had a problem and seemed to try to deal with it in a private matter.

Did he switch books? Who knows. It's $6 bucks.

I have messed up before on the boards and i gave a full refund and walked away and the person bought from me at a later date and time without a issue. I learned to tighten up my grading. And stay in constant communication with the buyer.

I would like to think I learned from any mistakes I might have made but there is no way I am willing to sell to this buyer again.

For the record, medusanyc failed to notify me before posting his complaint in this thread.

2) Notification on the Probation Discussion Thread

a) After the 30 Day Rule is fulfilled, the accuser will send a PM to the accused informing them the issue is being submitted to the Probation Discussion Thread for their inclusion in the PL. This should be a new PM and not part of an existing PM chain.

For the record, medusanyc failed to notify me before posting his complaint in this thread.

a) After the 30 Day Rule is fulfilled, the accuser will send a PM to the accused informing them the issue is being submitted to the Probation Discussion Thread for their inclusion in the PL. This should be a new PM and not part of an existing PM chain.

He hasn't even nominated you for the PL.

You gotta take it easy. Your best bet: give the guy a full refund, and ask him to return the comics. I highly doubt he's trying to switch them on you. But if he is, he won't get away with it. If you get the comics back and they've been switched, bring it up here and he'll get crucified. If he never returns the comics, bring that up as well and he'll be in deep doo doo.

Worst case scenario, you've taken the high road for a small price. As a seller, you'll run into these situations from time to time. If you place any value on your time, you'll just offer a full refund in exchange for the comics being returned.

And don't promise that your raw comics will grade out at 9.8 unless you're ready to stand behind that 100%. Just say you think so, but you can't say for sure.

The link the buyer attached for the book (Chew 17) received is no longer available but there the flaws in his picture were not there when I sent the book (and was not due to the packaging).

Since medusanyc brought this up here in the Probation thread (if he were not submitting Chaos for the PL he should have posted in the General Discussion thread here in Forum Only) - medusanyc should relink the pics he sent to Chaos.

He hasn't even nominated you for the PL.

You gotta take it easy. Your best bet: give the guy a full refund, and ask him to return the comics. I highly doubt he's trying to switch them on you. But if he is, he won't get away with it. If you get the comics back and they've been switched, bring it up here and he'll get crucified. If he never returns the comics, bring that up as well and he'll be in deep doo doo.

Worst case scenario, you've taken the high road for a small price. As a seller, you'll run into these situations from time to time. If you place any value on your time, you'll just offer a full refund in exchange for the comics being returned.

And don't promise that your raw comics will grade out at 9.8 unless you're ready to stand behind that 100%. Just say you think so, but you can't say for sure.

+1

This is good advice!

Unless I'm wrong, I don't remember seeing you on the boards before the last couple months even though you've been a member for years. From what I've seen though, you seem like a good guy and that you're on the up and up. I believe you that either something is fishy or probably more likely, you BELIEVE something is fishy. Either way, like speedy said just take the high road and give the guy what he wants. It's a win win for you. You're done with him and you look good to everyone. It's like a $20 sale so I doubt that's really gonna make any difference in your life. Be glad it wasn't some 4,5,6 figure deal with something like this that might actually have made an impact in your life.

Give the guy what he wants and just chalk it up to " the sellers always right even when they aren't" and a learning experience and move on. You're gonna make a bunch more sales here so take the $6 high road and I'm sure that you'll more than make it up in the future. I'm all for sticking to your principles but is $6 really worth dragging this into something that could possibly cost you future sales here? (shrug)

All I want to know if the name of the guy who sends $1,200 worth of books late and through Media Mail. That's what I need to know ...

lol

Yeah, I was hoping for an outing on that one but doesn't look like its happening :sorry:

All I want to know if the name of the guy who sends $1,200 worth of books late and through Media Mail. That's what I need to know ...

it will take 20 to 30 days to findout things are really laid back on the boards...

lol

Yeah, I was hoping for an outing on that one but doesn't look like its happening :sorry:

Read through the posts of the member who brought it up. I'm sure something in there will point to the person.

He did say the clear equivalent of this.

Honestly, he's not the CGC. 9.8s are a c rap shoot.

I went back and reread Dr. Chaos's responses to the OP. They're polite. They're not what the OP wanted to hear.

The OP put a spin on the story by omitting relevant detail. Not cool.

Dirty laundry. :sumo:

He did say the clear equivalent of this.

Honestly, he's not the CGC. 9.8s are a c rap shoot.

Go back and read Dr. Chaos's responses to the OP. They're polite. They're not what the OP wanted to hear.

The OP put a spin on the story by omitting relevant and significant detail. Not cool.

Dirty laundry.

I'm too lazy to go read the whole thing again, and besides it really doesn't matter. Maybe even saying "I think so," is going too far. If you're not willing to back it up with a full money-back guarantee if they're not graded at 9.8, then just say "I don't know. Look at the scans and decide for yourself. I can't guarantee what CGC will do." But either way, he should just give the guy his money back and call it a day. :shrug:

People are saying "it is only 6 dollars". It is not about the amount here - it is about the situation.

PMs were exchanged. We have seen two iterations of these.

We have seen the original images from Chaos. It would be helpful to see the images medusanyc sent to chaos.

Nice books. So why do you think there could be no flaws due to shipment?

And I believe the entire conversation was that he'd be out half his money if he returned the books anyway. Working out a partial refund on low dollar books (or in my case high postage costs) makes sense usually.

Thirteen packages sent to thirteen different buyers without damage to the books inside. Instead I received kudos like:

Great communication. Great packaging. Comic arrived just as described. Would definitely recommend and do business with again.

Great guy to deal with. Excellent communication. Great shipping. Great comics. Highly recommended, will buy from again!

Respectfully, what happened to the other 13 packages is not a guarantee or affirmative proof whatsoever regarding the one package we are talking about here.

USPS is a carp shoot. We all know that.

I just got two packages in the mail that could not have been packed any better one looked like it was shot with a harpoon and had a gaping hole in the side and the other was crunched so badly that, through 2+ inches of bubble wrap, the slab got cracked all the way across.

Damage can happen to one package out of fourteen, or one out of 1400. How the other packages you sent fared are relevant only to those packages.

I've seen well packaged books get damaged and sparsely and negligently packed books arrive undamaged by the Grace of the Almighty because it had nothing to do with the seller or the postal service.

We really need to see both sets of pics and maybe a reason or two why , specifically, you believe the books were switched out.