• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

If someone approaches you and ask will you take this and you say that is probably the lowest I will go and then never respond the deal was never finalized

Except that isn't what happened, you PMd "If you decide you want for $675 let me know. I would have to charge $25 to ship it registered mail so I can insure and track it all the way to you."

:blahblah:

If someone approaches you and ask will you take this and you say that is probably the lowest I will go and then never respond the deal was never finalized

Except that isn't what happened, you PMd "If you decide you want for $675 let me know. I would have to charge $25 to ship it registered mail so I can insure and track it all the way to you."

Brilliant retort, I'm sure you've run many successful businesses with that level of intelligence.

The seller has to agree to it else you have what happened here no sale or miscommunication. My opinions are never in the popular camp but I give them anyway. Just because the Buyer agrees doesn't make it a done deal as the seller still has acknowledge the deal.

It's ok to have your opinion but, factually, it's completely outside the bounds of accepted business practices and established law.

But most sellers aren't lawyers. I knew you would chime in with contract law. Once again, I am not going to debate you. This is a comic forum with first time sellers or sellers with little experience. These behind the door transactions need two communication. Once that stops the transaction stops. That is just common sense.

It's standard business practice. There's no market in the world that expects everyone to stand there nodding their acceptance back and forth repeatedly, like a pair of bobbleheads as they exchange money for goods.

I reject the notion that this is some sort of "short bus" version of real commerce. We are all adults. We offer, we accept, we pay, we ship. There aren't special rules just for this place. You want to do business? You do it the right way or you don't do it at all.

What you are proposing is a perpetual motion machine of people bowing before each other like Gaijinn businessmen on their first trip to Tokyo.

Face to face transaction: Seller - Yeah I'll sell it for x. Buyer - I guess I will take it then. Seller not liking the reply, states you know what it isn't for sale anymore. This doesn't happen ever? I see this happen at garage sales, LCSs and in small privately owned stores all the time. The seller has the final word to accept or reject, they own the item. Does it make it right, no.

Excellent POINT!

By all means, please do not take any of my post or opinions to believe that I am in court. My posting has to do about what actually defines a private transaction as a done deal. I don't believe you are in the 100% correct and feel that you suddenly formed a new strategy to bulk offer the comics, thus leaving Fox in the dust.

The seller has to agree to it else you have what happened here no sale or miscommunication. My opinions are never in the popular camp but I give them anyway. Just because the Buyer agrees doesn't make it a done deal as the seller still has acknowledge the deal.

It's ok to have your opinion but, factually, it's completely outside the bounds of accepted business practices and established law.

But most sellers aren't lawyers. I knew you would chime in with contract law. Once again, I am not going to debate you. This is a comic forum with first time sellers or sellers with little experience. These behind the door transactions need two communication. Once that stops the transaction stops. That is just common sense.

It's standard business practice. There's no market in the world that expects everyone to stand there nodding their acceptance back and forth repeatedly, like a pair of bobbleheads as they exchange money for goods.

I reject the notion that this is some sort of "short bus" version of real commerce. We are all adults. We offer, we accept, we pay, we ship. There aren't special rules just for this place. You want to do business? You do it the right way or you don't do it at all.

What you are proposing is a perpetual motion machine of people bowing before each other like Gaijinn businessmen on their first trip to Tokyo.

Face to face transaction: Seller - Yeah I'll sell it for x. Buyer - I guess I will take it then. Seller not liking the reply, states you know what it isn't for sale anymore. This doesn't happen ever? I see this happen at garage sales, LCSs and in small privately owned stores all the time. The seller has the final word to accept or reject, they own the item. Does it make it right, no.

You are trying to change your stance on this by adding that last sentence. Of course its not right, which is the entire argument.

Disagree

If you ever run a business, please consult an attorney before using this opinion, or it will cost you extremely large amounts of money to find out that the rest of the world, business and the law stand 100% on the other side of the issue from you.

Where is this written? I actually have run very successful businesses

lol

You run a business where you offer items, people accept your offer and you feel that you don't have to perform unless you re-accept the deal?

Offer and Acceptance forms of Contract have been the law of the land since the early 1800's.

Here are a few things "written down" where you will find what I am talking about...

Agreement consists of an offer by an indication of one person (the "offeror") to another (the "offeree") of the offeror's willingness to enter into a contract on certain terms without further negotiations. [b]A contract is said to come into existence when acceptance of an offer (agreement to the terms in it) has been communicated to the offeror by the offeree and there has been consideration bargained-for induced by promises or a promise and performance[/b].

You can look up Hyde V. Wench too

Also note standard definitions in this setting:

"What is an offer? An offer creates the power of acceptance. An offer must: (1) make an expression of a promise, undertaking, or committment; (2) have certainty and definiteness in its terms; and (3) be communicated to the offeree (person you are offering something to)."

"An acceptance is a "manifestation of assent" to the terms of your offer. The person who you made the offer to must make the acceptance. An acceptance must "mirror" the terms of the offer. Known as the mirror image rule."

Also see the "mailbox rule" which states that the contract is valid and enforceable as soon as the person accepting the seller's offer places his acceptance in "the mail box". That means as soon as the seller transmits his acceptance IT'S A CONTRACT, binding on both sides to perform. There is no other requirement.

The seller put his terms out there, if he didn't want them accepted, if he didn't want to be bound, he would have had to rescind that offer BEFORE the buyer accepted them. That didn't happen.

Common law, common business practice, common sense.

Excellent POINT!

Glad you guys agree with each other. Doesn't make either of you right, but it's nice to find points of view in common.

It's the "BLAH BLAH BLAH" defense....we've been stymied. :ohnoez:

As I said before based on principal I am done dealing in transactions on this forum as people are ridiculous logical.

Fixed!! :acclaim:

As I said before based on principal I am done dealing in transactions on this forum as people are ridiculous.

"On principal", now that's funny. I'm sure everyone is crushed they won't have the opportunity to deal with someone that backs out of deals then cries about being persecuted.

It's the "BLAH BLAH BLAH" defense....we've been stymied. :ohnoez:

Go figure! He'd make a great defense Attorney. :eyeroll:

Disagree

If you ever run a business, please consult an attorney before using this opinion, or it will cost you extremely large amounts of money to find out that the rest of the world, business and the law stand 100% on the other side of the issue from you.

You are such an hole, yet I find some of your posts down right hysterical!!

As I said before based on principal I am done dealing in transactions on this forum as people are ridiculous.

Well at least we have some good news because most of the people who have seen how you conduct business here probably won't want to deal with you anyway. I know I wouldn't.

If you'd acted in a different way when the whole thing had been bought up then you would've gained a lot of benefit of the doubt but you seem as if you don't give a damn about the way that business is conducted here. Considering the hundreds of members conducting thousands of transactions her on the boards, the probation list is pretty small. All it takes to do business here successfully is a bit of honesty and respect.

Disagree

You are such an hole, yet I find some of your posts down right hysterical!!

I tried to explain it in a nice way...like 4 times...I did...I tried...I swear. :boo: