• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I see your point Jive, but I've got to disagree with you on this. Time spent here should not provide access to additional consideration in breaking generally accepted rules here. THAT being said, TOMC, I do think the way you present yourself here will go a long way in garnering support from fellow members.

But, I'm still a newbie here myself so just my 2c;)

My point was simply that he seems to be making a mountain out of a molehill and then using terms like "f-ing books" and ranting up a storm doesn't help his cause.

There is a difference between reporting a legitimate complaint and going overboard, the former being what this thread is supposed to accomplish and the latter being a problem that infects this board on Oh-So-Many levels.

Apparently there was a goof. Brent apologized. The books are on their way. Case closed.

Regarding going overboard, you'll note I DO agree with you as stated in my original post. I think I was focusing on what appeared to be a notion of established members getting more lee-way than newer members in your post. I was just making sure to clarify as Flaming_Telepath stated concisely, "that [it] does not diminish the feelings of somebody who has waited some time to get what he paid for...irrespective of whether he's a member of the old boys network or not."

I'm glad to hear that I misread your point Jive. Looks like we're pretty much on the same page here :)

I think if TOMC had presented his case more a little calmer fashion, we'd be having a different conversation here. And kudos to Brent for resolving the issue in a professional manner.

Perhaps the "outing" kvetching, should be posted in some kind of format.

Purchased ....date not received....

Ordered .....date...not paid

We all tend to be emotional when we think we are being wronged, and it's understandable, that's why Divad's list was so wonderful, he was calm as he posted it.

I know that I was reluctant to mention Joker-Fish before someone else did, 1, because I consider myself new in comparison to most others, and 2, cause...well, I've never been an "Old Boy" ...but the bottom line is SHARING information.

I don't know Brent, I'm sure he's a lovely person...I'm sure he's a great business person...but as a buyer, I'd like the information that he's a little backed up, and it appears that he's a little backed up in more than one transaction. If I had known that about Lighthouse, I would not have purchased from him. Same with Comic Supply.

I also think the fact that Brent responded here, promptly should be taken into consideration, and that he responded with a tracking number. That was enough to satisfy ME as a potential shopper...most of the others, have not responded...The ones that do, I mark as OK in my mind...cluttered though it may be...;)

Information is important, you don't want to discourage new people from posting information that might be important to the community, so...some kind of format, so it can be matter of fact, might help that....just my own 2c

I see your point Jive, but I've got to disagree with you on this. Time spent here should not provide access to additional consideration in breaking generally accepted rules here. THAT being said, TOMC, I do think the way you present yourself here will go a long way in garnering support from fellow members.

But, I'm still a newbie here myself so just my 2c;)

My point was simply that he seems to be making a mountain out of a molehill and then using terms like "f-ing books" and ranting up a storm doesn't help his cause.

There is a difference between reporting a legitimate complaint and going overboard, the former being what this thread is supposed to accomplish and the latter being a problem that infects this board on Oh-So-Many levels.

Apparently there was a goof. Brent apologized. The books are on their way. Case closed.

Well said George. Things happen in life. People get busy, there are hurricanes and fires, unexpected events in life happen. Most people that sell on these boards have other jobs (some full time :grin:)

Ranting and raving does not help anyone. I have not met a single buyer/seller who has gotten their books or money sooner who jump up and down, hold their breath or resort to profanity.

I do agree there needs to be more communication. How hard is it to say "I'm backed up and your books will be out xx/xx/xx.

I believe Tom was correct to bring this transaction to light. 30 days is way too long to have to wait for shipment unless some other arrangement was previously made (ie, starting a pile, letting it ride, double or nothing). And that's coming from me, not the worlds fastest shipper.

And it doesn't matter who the seller is or how long they've been here or what their reputation is. In fact, we should hold the BSD's to a higher standard, not a lower one. .

And Quality was right for responding and letting us know the books were shipped and providing a tracking number. I'm sure this will all turn out fine.

But other than Tom's curse-laden tirade, and the constant derailment (me included), it was a good example of how this thread can be a useful tool for both seller and buyer.

I agree their should be no preferential treatment for anyone, but their are acceptable and unacceptable ways of getting your point across. We should all try and act like adults and when some fail to do that when they buy/sell they have their name added to this thread.

Not picking sides here or anything since I/we don't know the whole situation but,

It really suks that a persons name has to be made public here in order for something to finalize, and I really don't care who/what kind of forumite, whether a good ole boy or someone new it is.

This person with the original beef has a valid point, although he could have done it without dropping the f bombs, but in a way I do see his point. No disrespect to Brent as I truly like the guy :foryou:

Some forumites made this guy feel like his opinion or concern was irrelevant and that really was a shame, IMO (shrug)

Nik,

The guy actually was extremely calm about it initially, given the circs...

here's one QUALITYCOMIX, bought some detective comics from him ,been over a month no books!!!!! he just keeps saying sorry for the delay..........

i guess since it was not a $1500 book ,he could give a rats azz

However, once the stupid-fest kicked into high gear and he'd been ignored for six pages, he lost it a bit, and then got hauled up for his 'attitude'. meh

I saw the posts made after his initial post, and I thought that was real uncharacteristic from others in attempting to derail his concern.

Or maybe that is just the norm around here lately :tonofbricks:

Weren't you the first to reply to tomc after he posted his concerns with Brent?

Second if they money was indeed sent on the 25th, not when negotiations on the books started tomc jumped the gun a little (just symantecs here) but if we have a 30 day policy lets keep to that.

Second if they money was indeed sent on the 25th, not when negotiations on the books started tomc jumped the gun a little (just symantecs here) but if we have a 30 day policy lets keep to that.

This was kind of my point when I suggested that 30 days is a little silly to begin with. In my circumstance, it had been about 3 weeks without any contact and nearly 30 days since payment. According to the rules, I didn't think it was supposed to be brought out in public until 30 days had gone. I suggested, and still do, different time periods for different things.

Why wait until 30 days to out someone that's not communicating at all? I know that's not what happened with Tomc but still.

In addition, I think you need to remain on the list for maybe 30 days after being put on but with a notation that the parties have agreed that the matter is resolved.

I am not sure what you mean, but I don't think so. I think 'Trooper was first with some comment about a rats azz, but that all got mixed in with the Welch comments.

Then scheradon cleaned house and then Flaming_Telepath jumped on the band wagon. I believe that's when I referenced Brent and Tom.