• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

The thing that totally stupifies me is that Showcase 22 and GL 1 are both relatively the same price in OSPG in ALL grades....a prime example of how illogical the DC market has become.

Good point, but not such a rare phenomenon. B&B 28 really isn't that much higher in the Guide than JLA 1.

Strangely though, Showcase 34 in percentage terms is much more expensive than Atom 1 in the Guide, but in terms of actual purchase price a 9.4 Atom 1 goes for almost as much as a 9.4 Showcase 34. :screwy:

odd that first sa lantern seems hot and first ga lantern seems (relatively) dead?

I had 3 GL 1's...sold 1 of them, then, based on the SC 22 "heat" I am going to be getting more agressive on GL1's too... but, unlike SC22 where 4.0 and higher is the sweet spot...seems 7.0 and higher is the sweet spot on GL1...I suspect those will be as hot if not hotter than SC 22 sooner than later (thumbs u

I just can't see that book being in the same ballpark with SC 22. SC 22 is so much more desirable, and then throuw in the scarcity and I see the difference being at least as wide as between AF 15 and Spidey 1. But what do I know about comic markets.

I agree that GL 1 grade for grade won't stay in the same ballpark...but, mid grade SC will be rivaled by higer grade GL (IMO)

The thing that totally stupifies me is that Showcase 22 and GL 1 are both relatively the same price in OSPG in ALL grades....a prime example of how illogical the DC market has become. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Didn't realize they were the same price in the guide. Wow.

:news:

Just joined the club!

!B(j6iYgBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CEEjlLl0us,BKc6dkTsmQ~~_12.JPG

This was an eBay purchase. The guy sent me detailed oversized scans a few days ago and it looks like a 3.5 to me. He also said he will issue a refund if any restoration is found. I'll have it with me at Wizard World Chicago gauging dealer interest and taking offers for a possible quick flip if someone else wants it bad enough. E-mail or PM if you will be there and would like to see it in person.

I'd also be happy staying in the club and keeping it in my collection. We'll see what happens :)

:news:

Just joined the club!

!B(j6iYgBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CEEjlLl0us,BKc6dkTsmQ~~_12.JPG

This was an eBay purchase. The guy sent me detailed oversized scans a few days ago and it looks like a 3.5 to me. He also said he will issue a refund if any restoration is found. I'll have it with me at Wizard World Chicago gauging dealer interest and taking offers for a possible quick flip if someone else wants it bad enough. E-mail or PM if you will be there and would like to see it in person.

I'd also be happy staying in the club and keeping it in my collection. We'll see what happens :)

nice issue and congrats!

I stumbled onto that auction before it was sold, but the seller listed a spine split which turned me off. That hand written arrival date smack dab in the middle of the cover was the clincher for me to move on. Still a good buy for whoever got it.

He called it a 3.0, but Rick and I both felt it was more likely a solid 2.5 with 3.0 potential.

Harley Yee should also have one that he picked up at the SDCC, unless it already sold. He was asking $1200 if I recall correctly, and it looked like a 3.0 to me based on a quick glance. It might be higher since I downgraded it for a faint stain and it was an otherwise solid copy.

I think he was calling it a VG, which it might have been. I saw the stain spot and automatically put it to a 3.0 - stains are a big pet peeve of mine on books and I still think that CGC is not hard enough on them even after they tightened things up recently (and on dust shadows as well). :sumo:

Wow $1200 for a 3.0!?!? Seems high no?

Harley is asking $1400 and it's probably a 4.0 because of the stain otherwise it's a very presentably copy with nice PQ. No higher than a 4.0 though due to the stain.

I missed out on this book at the SDCC because Bechera (hopefully I spelled that right) was out of his booth with his children shortly after he arrived on Preview Night. The friend that was watching his stuff said he would put it on hold for me, but when I finally caught up with Bechera on Thursday he said he was working on a trade with another dealer. :tonofbricks:

Darn, that sucks.. Depending on how big the stain is on the book, whether it is a dark or light stain, and whether the stain went into the pages of the book will determine what the grade actually is. Anyone have pix of it? I'm certainly curious to see how it looks

I did not realize how tough this book is in 5.0 or better condition. Here are the current census details (top grade is 9.0 :o ):

Universal Qualified Signature Series Restored Total

9.0 2 0 0 3 5

8.5 2 0 0 3 5

8.0 3 0 0 0 3

7.5 4 1 0 3 8

7.0 9 0 0 3 12

6.5 3 0 0 4 7

6.0 9 0 0 4 13

5.5 14 0 0 0 14

5.0 11 0 0 8 19

4.5 17 0 0 4 21

4.0 29 0 0 4 33