• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,060 posts in this topic

And here is my 7.5 :cloud9:

KopievonShowcase22cgc75.jpg

:takeit:(worship) WOw beautiful book Palamas! Did you have it for a while now?

Thanks DK! It really is a very well centered copy with great colors. Just got it very recently, but I´m planning to keep it for some time :)

Out of the 10 copies I have now bought in the past few months, 8 have had cream to ow pages...1 cgc 5.0 had ow and the chicago copy has stunning ow/white!...that was the best part of the book

You guys need to get over the PQ obsession. (tsk)

It's not near as consistent as the grades.

I just had a book resubbed that came back with a PQ bump that is off the charts. And, while I know CGC has loosened/tightened/loosened grading over the years, it's never been incredibly egregious. No chance that their standards have loosened enough to get the PQ bump I got.

On sc22 pq is a big deal if you are looking for a seperating quality over other copies...

I have looked at about 30 raw copies in the past 4 months and only seen ONE with true off white pages (the other 29 had mostly cream)...

To find one in ow/white is truly RARE and worthy of a HUGE distinction over comparably graded copies IMO

Edited by Detective27Kid

I'm talking about the actual PQ designations assigned by CGC. They're all over the board.

Here's my example (sorry, no scans...you'll just have to take my word for it):

Years ago, I submitted a Hulk 181. Came back 6.0 with Light Tan to Off White.

A kiss of death, to be sure. Would have a hard time moving this book without a considerable discount.

The book had some pretty heavy indentations on the cover (looked like a kid maybe tried to trace the cover).

Had it pressed and re-subbed for on-site in Chicago.

7.0 with OW pages.

I knew the grade could be improved. And, had my fingers crossed that I might get a PQ bump to Cream or Cr-ow. Instead, it comes back as straight OW.

Now, I'm not crying that I got that great a PQ bump (effectively turning my book from a dog to a winner), but it confirms my thoughts that PQ designations are not all they're cracked up to be and the premiums paid for PQ are a little silly.

As I said above, I know the grading standards change, but this is crazy. The more I think about it, I think alot of it has to do with lighting and light levels in the grading room at CGC and on-site grading rooms. Just a different fixture tube could produce vastly different results (warm white vs. cool white).

Keep in mind that pq is page quality not just page color.. The light tan represents page structure and a press might have significantly improved appearance (removed bends in paper, etc) to the point that the book now structurally qualifies for the ow designation...

So given the attributes of a particular book, in this case the sc22, a copy with ow or better page designation DOES deserve to have extra weight assigned to it (thumbs u

Keep in mind that pq is page quality not just page color.. The light tan represents page structure and a press might have significantly improved appearance (removed bends in paper, etc) to the point that the book now structurally qualifies for the ow designation...

I get what you're trying to say, and I remember a discussion just recently about this. Do you really think that's the case (apart from "brittle")? Some creases and bends in the paper reflect in the PQ assigned? I always assumed that it's deducted from the numeric grade.

A book with a piece missing out of a white pager would take a PQ hit, instead of a grade hit? That doesn't make sense.

So given the attributes of a particular book, in this case the sc22, a copy with ow or better page designation DOES deserve to have extra weight assigned to it

Probably worded my intial post poorly. I agree that PQ should have some weight to it. Just not near as much as everyone thinks (when it comes to slabbed books), because it's all over the map.