• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,794 posts in this topic

Just back from travel.

While away on business I was able to break away momentarily to hunt Picture Frames.

Arriving at Southern California Comics at 5:55 pm (five minutes before the store closed) I was

able to quickly rifle through the back-issue bins and located the following before getting the boot

out the door.

It's a nice tight copy with sharp, reflective colors. A quick score to say the least. Didn't even get

the chance to say thanks to Jamie Newbold.

Warlock-2.jpg

Just back from travel.

While away on business I was able to break away momentarily to hunt Picture Frames.

Arriving at Southern California Comics at 5:55 pm (five minutes before the store closed) I was

able to quickly rifle through the back-issue bins and located the following before getting the boot

out the door.

It's a nice tight copy with sharp, reflective colors. A quick score to say the least. Didn't even get

the chance to say thanks to Jamie Newbold.

Warlock-2.jpg

Not bad for a five minute back-issue bin dive. Imagine if you had ten minutes.

Sgt. Fury #96 is another tough treasure to uncover.

It's even tougher to get your mitts on a well-centered copy (If you own one post that bad boy!).

This picture frame is an interesting study from an artistic standpoint.

The cover layouts were done by Gil Kane and originally inked by Ralph Reese.

That finished cover, however, was rejected by the Marvel Brass and an order issued

from the top to redo the embellishment. The short-fused task fell upon John Severin.

Severin's work finally passed muster and the Brass issued a green-light-decree to roll the printing presses.

A PF cover compare and contrast is presented below.

First up is a recent Suscha score (thanks to a lead from a follow Howler).

It is followed by the original cover, which was presented for rank-and-file inspection in Sgt. Fury #97.

WAH-HOOO!

SF-96_suscha.jpg

SF-96_cover-1_lg.jpg

SF-96_cover-compair.jpg

This picture frame is an interesting study from an artistic standpoint.

The cover layouts were done by Gil Kane and originally inked by Ralph Reese.

That finished cover, however, was rejected by the Marvel Brass and an order issued

from the top to redo the embellishment. The short-fused task fell upon John Severin.

SF-96_cover-compair.jpg

I think the Ralph Reese version was probably about 12 years ahead of its time. It wouldn't have been strange to see it on the spinner rack in 1984.

SF-96_cover-compair.jpg

I think the Ralph Reese version was probably about 12 years ahead of its time. It wouldn't have been strange to see it on the spinner rack in 1984.

+1

I was thinking the same thing, that the Reese-inked cover is grittier and more modern. The faces have a very weary, shellshocked, battle-hardened quality.

Very intense for a mainstream, early 70s cover - for me far superior to the published version.

SF-96_cover-compair.jpg

+1

I was thinking the same thing, that the Reese-inked cover is grittier and more modern. The faces have a very weary, shellshocked, battle-hardened quality.

Very intense for a mainstream, early 70s cover - for me far superior to the published version.

To me, it looks like something Paul Gulacy and/or Gene Day would have done in the late '70s or early '80s.

24409.jpg24457.jpg

Great stuff, Joe. Some really tough books there. The Hero for Hire #3 and the Marvel Feature #4 are particularly hard to find in 9.6+.

Indeed!

I feel like a winner just looking at your books, Doc.

To celebrate I'm gonna have a Cohiba (and a little Scotch).

Here's to you!

sgtFury_2.gif

You make it look easy to find Sgt Fury picture frames in great shape and with exceptional cover registration.

Great set of books!

This is more commonly how I find the high grade issues:

SgtFury93-1.jpg