• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,797 posts in this topic

Here are a few certified books that have recently found a home within the MC collection.

Marvel Picture Frame Classics from a non-superhero eclectic perspective...

DS-2_9-6_suscha.jpg

9_9-6_suscha-1.jpg' alt='rolleyes.gif' alt='9_9'>-6_suscha-1.jpg'>

JA-2_9-6.jpg

KTC-5_9-8.jpg

Here are a few certified books that have recently found a home within the MC collection.

JA-2_9-6.jpg

:applause: Gorgeous copies all, but for me this one has been especially elusive. And, of course, many of the Marvel Tales issues in Barton's fabulous collection.

DS-2_9-6_suscha.jpg

The awesomeness of this cover got me to thinking about how many picture frames have Steranko covers. Besides the Doc Savage #s 1 and 2 and the Shanna #1, are there others I've forgotten?

JA-2_9-6.jpg

:applause: Gorgeous copies all, but for me this one has been especially elusive...

Thx for the props, Bob.

No doubt... Primo copies of Jungle Action PFs are difficult to come by, that's for sure! And finding a high-grade copy of JA#2 is certainly a needle.

I think there's a top tiered lone-wolf copy of #2 in the certified haystack, and that bad-boy is a blue labeled 9.8.

Any guesses as to who might own it? hm

Nice to see you back you back in these parts, MC. And as per usual, you brought some beautiful books with you.

Thx for the welcome back, Barton!

It's been awhile, but in my time off I've been a travelin' man... made a lot of stops all over the world (as Ricky Nelson used to say). lol

Anyhoo, I'll try and scan up a few of me latest pick-ups (not girls but PF books, mind you).

Stand by to stand by. Digital PF scans a coming with a few additional unique elements all Picture Framers might find of historical interest...

The awesomeness of this cover got me to thinking about how many picture frames have Steranko covers. Besides the Doc Savage #s 1 and 2 and the Shanna #1, are there others I've forgotten?

s7ws.jpg

Wowsers! That is freakin' tight, GT. (thumbs u

And below is the third Steranko cover. A pick-up I made some time back.

Sure wish ol' JS had drawn more PF covers during the production period, but alas...

STSD-1_9-6_suscha.jpg

Picture frame production is an interesting thing.

Cover layout, composition and design. It all adds up to one fundamentally important picture-frame point: a 3-D illustrative illusion that catches your eye and intrigues you to buy the book.

During my travels to uncover unique picture frame specimens I've stumbled upon some rather interesting artifacts. One of which is the lampooning of a notoriously macho public opponent of the 1970s women’s liberation movement.

Caricaturized by arguably one of the most popular comic book artists of the time and using the hottest property in the medium as the lampoon's vehicle, "Norman the Barbarian" is a parody dedicated to the adventures of Pulitzer Prize winning writer Norman Mailer, the last heterosexual on earth who is armed with a giant ink pen and battles for his very manhood against the forces of feminism and the B itch-Goddess of Media, a many-headed monster whose tentacles terminate with the heads of Mailer's talk show "enemies", including D ick Cavett, Gore Vidal, and William F. Buckley.

Below is the four-color Barbarian satire that appeared in the May 1972 edition of National Lampoon. First up is the approval cover proof from the Jack Adler Collection (the award-winning comic book colorist) which I picked-up awhile back, followed by the scanned pages pulled right from the Lampoon copy.

Norman the Barbarian

Written by Sean Kelly

Illustrated by Barry Smith

Lettered by Sam Rosen

Parody based on articles written by Norman Mailer, 1971.

NTB-1-cover-proof.jpg

NTB-1-cover-color-1-s.jpg

NTB-1-pg-1-s.jpg

NTB-1-pg-2-s.jpg

NTB-1-pg-3-s.jpg

NTB-1-pg-4-s.jpg