• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,895 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2021 at 6:28 PM, Ceito said:

Hello to all.

I went to my first estate sale today, conversed with a great couple of people waiting before opening time.

Just curious if anyone here has been through what I, and others waiting to enter today have experienced.

Before the estate sale was underway, a sign in sheet was provided. Persons that were present added their name on the list, and waited. One individual that was not there initially just 'showed up', and when the names started to be called, he mentioned he was the 'First One'. Others echoed that he was not there first, and that he appeared after other prospective buyers there. I myself witnessed this.

I may be incorrect in my opinion on this, but if one is the 'First One' on the list or line, shouldn't said individual be there physically, not 'disappear, to reappear, alone. Also, no one was there representing, or 'holding' this individual's place.

Has anyone experienced this?

Estate Sales... I've seen people get into fist fights in line. Or dumpster diving next to the house.  It can be like a carnival.

On 10/1/2021 at 10:35 PM, bronze_rules said:

Estate Sales... I've seen people get into fist fights in line. Or dumpster diving next to the house.  It can be like a carnival.

It reminds me of beer lines - I've been putting my money toward books for the past year or so, but prior to that I was the guy standing in line at 2 am on Black Friday and other days throughout the year for "rare" beer releases. For a while, there was a trend where people would show up, set up a camp chair (like a Coleman fireside camping chair) at the front of the line, and then leave. People who would show up after and actually sit on line from 2 am (or 11 pm the night before, or earlier) until the store opened - they finally started getting fed up, and they would remove and trash the chairs and then harass the people when they finally came back.

On the flip side of that, I've waited on beer lines where someone at the front would ask us to hold his place around 6 am, go to a local Dunkin Donuts and buy breakfast sandwiches for everyone who made the commitment to wait all night. So there's good and bad. We'd also usually share rare beers to drink while we waited all night, so it was like a weird fun party. Nowadays I'd rather spend on books, but I won't lie, those days could be pretty fun.

There are actually little "gig" businesses these days where you can pay someone to wait in a line for you.

I've only heard of one Estate Sale this summer where people "camped out" the night before.  I'm sure it was a great sale, but I didn't attend.  I've been to several this summer where I was the first in line, but I make that effort generally only when "comic books" are a listed item or there are pictures showing they have them.  Only showed up at one where there was apparently a hidden list somewhere - they started reading names at 8:00 and there were 30 people standing in line watching others walk past them as their names were called.  I left.

On 10/2/2021 at 3:00 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I was at an estate sale once where the original list disappeared and a new one was created. I was number 2 on the new one later to find out I was actually 6th because they honored the “disappeared” list

Yeah I've been apart of those transferred lists from napkins. Sometimes there's 2-3 lists going on lol .. that's why it's useful if the first guy creates the order physically w a box

On 10/1/2021 at 11:06 PM, littledoom said:

Estate sales are messy. Every company's rules are different. Yeah ppl lie/cheat/cut in line. If you physically stay there in person waiting the whole time until the sale starts your place in line should be safe. In my opinion it is the responsibility of the first guy to physically stay there the whole time unless a bathroom break. Usually folks leave a box as a placeholder and sign in/or take a photo. The rules of the company should be posted in the terms & conditions

There's a contents sale company around here that is very professional and keep them in line.  But for the most part, the majority of auction houses are run by people with poor social skills having quasi-business acumen.  These types just want the stuff gone, seldom does it seem like they have the sellers true interest at heart.