• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,883 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2022 at 8:01 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

My wife and I took a short weekend getaway, and we went to a resale shop yesterday - a lot of vases, wreaths, signs that look hand-painted but aren't, that kind of thing. My wife bought a few things, and as she was checking out, on a whim I asked the woman who owned the shop if they had any comic books. She said, "I do have a box of comics but all the fronts are missing. They've been here forever and I can't get rid of them. If you promise to take the whole box, you can have it for $5." I don't need more clutter, but I also can't say no to a possible deal, so I said sure. She grabbed the box - a printer paper box with two stacks of comics laid flat, maybe 80 books -  and the books on top were a couple of what looked like ASM (turned out to be Marvel Tales) remaindered copies - I can explain what remaindered copies are or you can find out more on Google. I figured at least I'd have some reading material. There were some coverless old Mad and Cracked under those too.

She finished slowly ringing my wife up because they were chatting, and it came out to about $75 - and then she said, "You know what? Just take the books, I'm just glad to be rid of them." Even better!

I went through the box when we got back, and there's plenty of good reading, but I was pretty excited (and a little sick to my stomach honestly) to find these in there:

IMG_6054.thumb.JPG.5c2b108f49470c35cefe79b44f5f061b.JPG

IMG_6055.thumb.jpg.8ffe7452eae671353c045dbe868304c3.jpg

The rest were stuff like Defenders, Marvel Two-In-One, Marvel Tales, etc. Aside from the two above, this was the next-best thing in there:

IMG_6056.thumb.JPG.8b4b960b2a665ebabf51a63bfa1ca498.JPG

I know about remaindered copies from a historical standpoint, but if anyone has any idea or thoughts about the potential value of these, I'd appreciate it!

I'd be ecstatic! All books I need and can nary afford! I believe the slab is still 0.5 but I thought it would still be considered "complete!" :takeit:

On 10/2/2022 at 8:01 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

My wife and I took a short weekend getaway, and we went to a resale shop yesterday - a lot of vases, wreaths, signs that look hand-painted but aren't, that kind of thing. My wife bought a few things, and as she was checking out, on a whim I asked the woman who owned the shop if they had any comic books. She said, "I do have a box of comics but all the fronts are missing. They've been here forever and I can't get rid of them. If you promise to take the whole box, you can have it for $5." I don't need more clutter, but I also can't say no to a possible deal, so I said sure. She grabbed the box - a printer paper box with two stacks of comics laid flat, maybe 80 books -  and the books on top were a couple of what looked like ASM (turned out to be Marvel Tales) remaindered copies - I can explain what remaindered copies are or you can find out more on Google. I figured at least I'd have some reading material. There were some coverless old Mad and Cracked under those too.

She finished slowly ringing my wife up because they were chatting, and it came out to about $75 - and then she said, "You know what? Just take the books, I'm just glad to be rid of them." Even better!

I went through the box when we got back, and there's plenty of good reading, but I was pretty excited (and a little sick to my stomach honestly) to find these in there:

The rest were stuff like Defenders, Marvel Two-In-One, Marvel Tales, etc. Aside from the two above, this was the next-best thing in there:

I know about remaindered copies from a historical standpoint, but if anyone has any idea or thoughts about the potential value of these, I'd appreciate it!

@Jesse-Lee here is an example, I misspoke on the complete part, but price accordingly:takeit:

Screenshot_20221002-200907.png

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/2/2022 at 7:01 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

0.5 if only the cover is affected and complete if no interior story pages are torn like the cover. CGC has qualified these books in the past (rarely).

Great as reading copies or for someone who has a cover they'd like to marry.

I picked up a remainder GA Lone Ranger a few months back just to have an example of this past distribution practice in my collection.

Edited by grendelbo

On 10/2/2022 at 8:17 PM, grendelbo said:

0.5 if only the cover is affected and complete if no interior story pages are torn like the cover. CGC has qualified these books in the past (rarely).

Great as reading copies or for someone who has a cover they'd like to marry.

I thought that but couldn't find proof, I'd still take them, especially the moon knight, as most of the cover is there

On 10/2/2022 at 8:15 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It was the only example I could find quickly, although yours has the 1st page, I tried to help lol

Thanks!! I did find this example too, which is kind of the same and kind of not: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125338369975?hash=item1d2ebfbfb7:g:eK8AAOSwgxdiklEX&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsACjF2MC04wfhTtV4LgtTGaO5yYOaJeE0ZYXqXbP7sy%2Fd3FCMm2nypbjXnVXj2hAXKTthSAGymvJVwJ%2B0YxmjATlMEGuwcIJX3RNKvGb8EiM%2BcoLtnZEsBKi9ghHoTBUNfFyXEPIk%2BrmyUT4oweJem%2BT6YSVt7vuk98ZDD11DDaA7gDi7ynX1twAfLRn0VTlGdo6NebvnABc%2FaS%2FzMpQRUC5lqMxXATSghrp6GpHlGrw|tkp%3ABk9SR4Lnr7bzYA

My big question is if CGC and/or collectors view remaindered books as different from a book that is just ripped up due to handling, etc. On one hand, both are missing major pieces of the cover, but on the other hand, there is a long history behind remaindered comics. Either way, I was definitely shocked when I got halfway down one of the piles and found these!

On 10/2/2022 at 8:19 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Thanks!! I did find this example too, which is kind of the same and kind of not: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125338369975?hash=item1d2ebfbfb7:g:eK8AAOSwgxdiklEX&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsACjF2MC04wfhTtV4LgtTGaO5yYOaJeE0ZYXqXbP7sy%2Fd3FCMm2nypbjXnVXj2hAXKTthSAGymvJVwJ%2B0YxmjATlMEGuwcIJX3RNKvGb8EiM%2BcoLtnZEsBKi9ghHoTBUNfFyXEPIk%2BrmyUT4oweJem%2BT6YSVt7vuk98ZDD11DDaA7gDi7ynX1twAfLRn0VTlGdo6NebvnABc%2FaS%2FzMpQRUC5lqMxXATSghrp6GpHlGrw|tkp%3ABk9SR4Lnr7bzYA

My big question is if CGC and/or collectors view remaindered books as different from a book that is just ripped up due to handling, etc. On one hand, both are missing major pieces of the cover, but on the other hand, there is a long history behind remaindered comics. Either way, I was definitely shocked when I got halfway down one of the piles and found these!

I noticed it, priced at $700, when 2.5 sells for $450. That said I'd still take them lol

Cause I don't see me saving money enough for a decent copy, someone else might be as desperate, or there is me, if your just looking to sell :)

On 10/2/2022 at 10:05 PM, littledoom said:

I did get this for $20 at a flea market. The guy I bought it from got it at an art store. He used to draw for Oni Press and Marvel 

79CADFF5-635E-400C-B878-7A428C1EF903.thumb.jpeg.8928d8ad13fc75e18cb147b0970f2c71.jpeg

I'd be asking for that person's contact.....who knows what else he has if he worked at comic studios!

On 9/25/2022 at 12:24 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Guy replied to my local post about comics. Says he “dug about 100 out of his attic” along with a couple of old coke trays. I called and he read off some issues of Cap and Iron Man and Super Goof that suggests they are 70s era. Heading there now to see if there is any true treasures!

A follow up to this post (apologies for no pics)

So there were no good comics. A real random mix of some early 80s Iron Man (In VG condition), Punisher stuff and some other mixed books. The best book was one of the few in a bag and board, a Punisher 75. The coke trays were beat and from the 80s. And there were some handmade leather wrist bands someone had created. He wanted $20 for it all, so I took it. The comics I'll sell/giveaway to kids, the Punisher will make my money back and the rest will find other homes eventually. 

On 10/3/2022 at 5:45 AM, spreads said:

I'd be asking for that person's contact.....who knows what else he has if he worked at comic studios!

I did, cool guy, he doesn't have much else left. I think he does more gaming stuff now. What he worked on was about a decade ago