• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,868 posts in this topic

On 10/23/2022 at 2:54 PM, Beastfeast said:

Wish me luck, boys. Largest collection I’ve ever bought while living in the smallest apartment I’ve ever lived in with a 16 month old.  Total chaos! 

3F68697F-5E6B-4946-A49D-A80819004628.jpeg

That's a serious haul, I couldn't imagine that volume living in an apartment!  I would focus on bulking out stuff when you can, just to clear space.  I bought a collection not quite that big a few years back, and I spent a mess ton of time sorting and going through it to see what was there.  You probably want to work on getting money back quickly on high dollar stuff, but I would devote a large percentage of your time just moving out bulk and reclaiming space!  Especially if you don't have it all organized and in an area that's accessible....you will lose a lot of time/efficiency if you can't locate books, or even access the comics you have because you're simply overwhelmed.  

Edited by spreads

On 10/24/2022 at 9:00 AM, spreads said:

That's a serious haul, I couldn't imagine that volume living in an apartment!  I would focus on bulking out stuff when you can, just to clear space.  I bought a collection not quite that big a few years back, and I spent a mess ton of time sorting and going through it to see what was there.  You probably want to work on getting money back quickly on high dollar stuff, but I would devote a large percentage of your time just moving out bulk and reclaiming space!  Especially if you don't have it all organized and in an area that's accessible....you will lose a lot of time/efficiency if you can't locate books, or even access the comics you have because you're simply overwhelmed.  

Agreed. The last time I bought a collection that large, about 40 boxes, I had to keep most of them in the garage, and winter was coming! Several long nights in a cold garage digging through the boxes, getting them sorted so I could just GET RID OF most of the stuff. The half that I kept came into the house, and the other half was bulked out on Facebook. Doing that first major cull was a huge but important step.

On 10/23/2022 at 10:25 PM, Beastfeast said:

47 longs, 1 short, and maybe 20 random xerox and banker boxes packed full. 

Half stored at my boss’s house and half living in closets and under beds. 

I already regret this 😵💫

Your significant other must be thrilled. :roflmao:

On 10/24/2022 at 6:10 AM, F For Fake said:

Agreed. The last time I bought a collection that large, about 40 boxes, I had to keep most of them in the garage, and winter was coming! Several long nights in a cold garage digging through the boxes, getting them sorted so I could just GET RID OF most of the stuff. The half that I kept came into the house, and the other half was bulked out on Facebook. Doing that first major cull was a huge but important step.

Back in the ‘80’s I bought a HUGE collection of GA/SA/BA books all mixed up in cardboard boxes. Was a blast discovering stuff all mixed in. I had huge piles stacked all over my living room fit a couple of months. My wife was very understanding but after a while it really tested her patience. Once sorted out, I moved all the lessor stuff out quick. She was real happy with the money and getting her house back.

Can’t say I wouldn’t do it again for the right stuff but I’m way past that at this point in life.

Good luck and hope you get some great stuff like I did. 

On 10/24/2022 at 12:21 PM, Robot Man said:

Back in the ‘80’s I bought a HUGE collection of GA/SA/BA books all mixed up in cardboard boxes. Was a blast discovering stuff all mixed in. I had huge piles stacked all over my living room fit a couple of months. My wife was very understanding but after a while it really tested her patience. Once sorted out, I moved all the lessor stuff out quick. She was real happy with the money and getting her house back.

Can’t say I wouldn’t do it again for the right stuff but I’m way past that at this point in life.

Good luck and hope you get some great stuff like I did. 

My wife is also, thankfully, very tolerant of "my ways" ha She has learned to live with it. As long as it doesn't leak into "her world", and is largely contained to my lair downstairs, or the garage, she is pretty accommodating!  I agree, discovering stuff in a collection like that really is a ton of fun, and I DO enjoy it, but I'm at the point where my back and knees are no longer thrilled to encounter that many boxes at once!

On 10/25/2022 at 12:50 AM, littledoom said:

I bought two short boxes for $5 each at a moving sale. For $100 I could have bought his house. These are the highlights

F251BB29-4CF5-4714-BE4E-13C3C85C2951.thumb.jpeg.36bcef969c9f2d7e5ee1bf606bf44dc7.jpeg

You should have bought the house and charged Beastman storage fees to store his comics!  :cheers:

On 10/24/2022 at 9:49 AM, F For Fake said:

My wife is also, thankfully, very tolerant of "my ways" ha She has learned to live with it. As long as it doesn't leak into "her world", and is largely contained to my lair downstairs, or the garage, she is pretty accommodating!  I agree, discovering stuff in a collection like that really is a ton of fun, and I DO enjoy it, but I'm at the point where my back and knees are no longer thrilled to encounter that many boxes at once!

My wife up until a few years ago was a high end antique dealer. Never collected anything. Every thing was always for sale. Totally unlike me. But she understands my mentality. She has even brought home comics and pulps for me from estate sales and auctions. She is smart and has a very good eye.

Luckily, my back and knees are in real good shape so no problem there. I just don’t like clutter or junk so I don’t buy it any more and am moving out a lot of it. I would much rather have one nice book rather than a whole mix of average more common stuff.