• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Market Crash Thread: Part Two!

379 posts in this topic

Yo clobberintime, you must be hearing jet engines over your head!

I'm talking about CGC BUYERS and how they are reacting to the serious dip in CGC prices. A seller who bought a $2 book in 1985, then CGC'd it at 9.6, is not going to be too concerned with $100 or $150.

But the buyer who bought at $150 is in for a rude awakening, and the next guy is going to be mighty hesitant to lay down $100 on a book/era that is on the downswing. If you think dropping values like this are ringing the dinner bells for potential buyers, then you do not understand the general population.

And on available comics in a free auction environment (ie/ not Heritage grin.gif ) the buyer still controls the ending price.

well either your iQ is not high enough to understand what i am saying or you just don't want to comprehend what i am saying. Just re-read my last post a few times slowly.It's not about buying some perfect book 20 years ago. i jus bought a 9.6 Astonish from Greggy that he recently bought raw from a dealer bud of his. I think he said he paid around guide or a little higher. So that means what about $70. then he paid for cgc - what is that $30? And I gladly paid $400 for it. I actually bid a lot higher than that. I was glad to get it that low and I bet Greggy was happy to get a $300 return on a deal that took about 4 months from the time he purchased the book until I paid for it. Oh and one more thing. The cgc effect is not only confined to ultra high grade books. It also has greatly helped sell those fine to vf Marvels that used to be fairly difficult to sell unless they were first appearances, key stories or rare. have you ever sold comics at a store or at a con? I have sold at cons and on ebay and it was and is harder to get guide prices for non-cgc mid to vf books. I have observed that cgc grading helps sell those books much closer to the OS price at that grade and often above it. I am not saying cgc is a panacea - there are many problems but I think the market is a heck of a lot better with them.

CI, and how often are books handled in comic shops, especially the Amazing Spider-Man issues we are talking about here. Comics are often damaged simply by being mishandled by somebody. As old as those issue are, and as popular as Spider-Man is, the chances of them being in a comic shop and not getting handled by several people is pretty slim.

"Comics are often damaged simply by being mishandled by somebody. As old as those issue are, and as popular as Spider-Man is, the chances of them being in a comic shop and not getting handled by several people is pretty slim. "

you are not going to pick up true high grade comics from the local comic shop, unless the dealer has had a case of the book stored out back for 25 years.

most of the real high grade books come from carefully stored collections.

well either your iQ is not high enough to understand what i am saying

Oh, I wouldn't worry about my IQ if I were you, and I sincerely doubt that the vast majority of CGC specs (ie. those responsible for the zany CGC prices) are willing to keep throwing money into a declining market. When the hits the fan in any market, Investor Joe turns tail and runs as fast as he can.

If you really believe that consistently declining prices is the recipe for heightened investor/spec sales, then you have no grasp on human behavior and motivations.

Sure, "smart money" can pick and choose from the depressed goods, hoping to gain profits somewhere down the line, but the overall prognosis is not good for the market as a whole. Fear breeds fear, and I can't find anyone who believes that short-term CGC prices will ever rebound to their speculator height.

The future will tell the tale, but it'll consist of the usual main course of me being right and you being wrong. No surprise there.

CI, and how often are books handled in comic shops, especially the Amazing Spider-Man issues we are talking about here.

You misunderstood. I was just stating that the print run of a 1970's Spider-man issue was probably on par with 4-5 hot selling Marvels of the same era. More Spidey's printed means that there is a higher percentage of finding them in collections (bought from comic stores and newstands) and in higher grade.

Plus, ASM in the 1970's was the X-Men and Daredevil of the 1980's, with many collectors buying multiple issues.

just thought i'd chip in here since you slipped into talking about comic books for a second tongue.gif

i am in total agreement the ASM run from 100-150 is one of the best, not only of the bronze age, but of any comic run out there.

its actually great to own a run of quality comics and not worry too much about how much they are worth grin.gif

I have been following your comments and I think you are right in many respects. The CGC market has soften quite a bit. Even modern CGC 9.8s which were getting bid up like crazy are getting low bids which barely covers the cost of grading. I saw an Alpha Flight 7 or somewhere around there sold by Comigeek for $1. I almost bid myself but with shipping cost that books becomes $8. CI do you or did you collect coins and cards. Over what time period did the coin market finally crash and where is the coin market now.