• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Collection One of the Greatest Silver Age Finds of the Century

2,756 posts in this topic

A few points seem to be in order

1) St. Louis is Mound City a name given to it by River Boat Pilots much as Chicago was called the windy city. St. Louis was covered at one time by Indian mounds.

2) The collection was discovered by my wife in St. Louis, MO. when she was setting up for an estate auction.

3) No one from my company Mound City Collectibles and Auctions LLC has posted to this board prior to this post (in fact I regestered here this morning)

4) I was selling a house and running an open house at another home when the original poster put his info. here. I have no idea who he is but he is NOT the point of contact for his sale we are and our website has several ways to contact us.

5) We are still in talks about exactly where and when we will sell the books.

They will sell in Nov. of 2009

6) We took all 3000 + books to the CGC last week.

7) We ran we ran box after box thourgh the CGC as walk throughs (250 +)

8) The collection is new to the market and has never been seen till now

9) The man who collected them lived in St. Louis and bought them all himself (a large number of them came from a barber shop/magazine store on Lemay Ferry road)

10) I do 8 to 12 auctions per month and am not a comic book expert

11) My son went to Chicago to market the books.

12) We did not put a date on the flyer he made because we do not know the date yet.

13) We are doing a quick turn arround at the request of the family lawyer and the estate dictates the timing on the sale, period.

14) My son spoke to many of you but I would not let him take the books with him.

15) The grades will be posted on my website as soon as I can get them there. I sold a house last Sunday and another this Sunday and as you can imagine we are fairly busy.

16) Any book with a GPA value of $150 or higher was submited to the CGC, via prescreen.

17) The people at CGC were VERY helpful to us and took pity on us, thanks to all of them, they worked their behinds off for us.

18) The collection did not get a pedigree, but since they all came from Mound City we are calling them the Mound City collection.

19) My google adwords campain has generated over 2.5 million impressions so I must be doing something right.

20) I wish to repeat, I have absolutly no idea who started this thread, I did not, my wife and son did not. I would have posted to the selling thread. By the way were was the "old news" GA? posted at? I am new, here and have no clue.

21) I am an Auctioneer, not a comic expert so please don't beat me up.

Rob

Now THIS is helpful information.

A few points seem to be in order

1) St. Louis is Mound City a name given to it by River Boat Pilots much as Chicago was called the windy city. St. Louis was covered at one time by Indian mounds.

2) The collection was discovered by my wife in St. Louis, MO. when she was setting up for an estate auction.

3) No one from my company Mound City Collectibles and Auctions LLC has posted to this board prior to this post (in fact I regestered here this morning)

4) I was selling a house and running an open house at another home when the original poster put his info. here. I have no idea who he is but he is NOT the point of contact for his sale we are and our website has several ways to contact us.

5) We are still in talks about exactly where and when we will sell the books.

They will sell in Nov. of 2009

6) We took all 3000 + books to the CGC last week.

7) We ran we ran box after box thourgh the CGC as walk throughs (250 +)

8) The collection is new to the market and has never been seen till now

9) The man who collected them lived in St. Louis and bought them all himself (a large number of them came from a barber shop/magazine store on Lemay Ferry road)

10) I do 8 to 12 auctions per month and am not a comic book expert

11) My son went to Chicago to market the books.

12) We did not put a date on the flyer he made because we do not know the date yet.

13) We are doing a quick turn arround at the request of the family lawyer and the estate dictates the timing on the sale, period.

14) My son spoke to many of you but I would not let him take the books with him.

15) The grades will be posted on my website as soon as I can get them there. I sold a house last Sunday and another this Sunday and as you can imagine we are fairly busy.

16) Any book with a GPA value of $150 or higher was submited to the CGC, via prescreen.

17) The people at CGC were VERY helpful to us and took pity on us, thanks to all of them, they worked their behinds off for us.

18) The collection did not get a pedigree, but since they all came from Mound City we are calling them the Mound City collection.

19) My google adwords campain has generated over 2.5 million impressions so I must be doing something right.

20) I wish to repeat, I have absolutly no idea who started this thread, I did not, my wife and son did not. I would have posted to the selling thread. By the way were was the "old news" GA? posted at? I am new, here and have no clue.

21) I am an Auctioneer, not a comic expert so please don't beat me up.

Rob

We may seem like a bunch of old crows here (some of us are).....but I, for one, am very excited about this. It reminds me of a collection that surfaced around here several years ago...very impressive. Collections of this scope are not common. My one suggestion to you would be to hire a respected member of this community to grade your books....your final hammer will be considerably higher. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Andy (board name October) would be a good choice...he's out of Chicago, not too far away.

Well apparently, they did have CGC look at almost all of 'em for pre screens.

Even the books that don't make the pre screen could benefit...a lot of folks will pay good money for a tightly graded 6.0. GOD BLESS...

My wife and I spent two "fun fulled" days with West (the man saved us) looking over the books to submit for pre-screening. We HAD to go to the beach for a day after that!

I put pictures of the puny fish I caught on Facebook (can add anyone here as a freind at your request to see the pictures). West finished the pre-screen without us. Yea West! Folks when you live in Missouri and you drive to Florida you have to go to the beach at least for one day.

I paid my son (he is 26 and a huge comic geek) to go through the entire collection and select which books to submit on fast track, express and so on. West help gleen what Rob lite (he is not a jr.) missed.

Yes we will have more info. If anyone is having trouble with the scans they are doing something wrong, feel free to call us for a walk through on google pictures and how to blow the scans up. We will ad new scans as soon as we can. The books are in a vault and safe. We are looking for a safe, secure place for the auction.

Please look at our past auctions for a feeling about our company and what we have done in the past.

By the way, we are know for helping the families of police officers killed or gravely injured while on the job. If you know of anyone needing help in this regard please have them give us a call, we never charge to help a cop's family. Our very first auction was for a cop who was killed at work (Nick Sloan) and his partner (Officer Keithley) who was injured.

Wanted to tell you that I posted a thread in the selling area (where I think this should be) that walks you through how to look at the scans close up, and I mean real close up.

Anyone having problems with the scans please go look at that post, and then let me know if you still need help.

Where can I find the previous thread about this collection?

Rob

Wanted to tell you that I posted a thread in the selling area where I think this should be that walks you through how to look at the scans close up, and I mean real close up. Anyone haveing problems with the scans please go look at that post, and then let me know if you still need help.

Where can I find the previous thread about this collection?

Rob

You're in one of the threads right now and there were duplicate threads placed in a few other places.

Thanks again for coming on and giving us all detailed thorough information.

Good luck with your sales, I'm sure it will do well.

Mr. Runkle did you a huge favor posting this here. If you get more collections in the future...this is a great place to include in your marketing. These guys spend incredible amounts of money on old books. GOD BLESS...

Mr. Runkle did you a huge favor posting this here. If you get more collections in the future...this is a great place to include in your marketing. These guys spend incredible amounts of money on old books. GOD BLESS...

Indeed he did. Literally a captive audience.

JimJum12,

Of that I have no doubt, I would like to thank him, but I do not have a clue who he is. We must have talked to him at some point (my son in Chicago, us while driving to or from Florida) one guy called while we were beach hopping one day. In any case I just wanted to clear a bit of the confusion up.

I run an ethical company, in fact the owner had no idea what he had, and I could have helped my self to any of the books but I don't roll that way. I will not try to tick any of your members. I have to make some decisions in the next few days regarding this collection and how we will bring it to market. Be sure I will let this group know my plans.

I want to say again how helpful the folks at CGC were and how much I was impressed with their operation. I have held a Top Secret SCI CRYPTO COSMIC clearance (Top Secret for all NATO countries with CRYPTO access [read almost unlimited access] and their security was as good as what I have seen guarding Nuke launch codes, (or at lest very close). And, they are professional, and nice as well. Everyone I have met so far in this field of collecting has been more than nice.

Thanks for you kind words.

Rob

JimJum12,

Of that I have no doubt, I would like to thank him, but I do not have a clue who he is. We must have talked to him at some point (my son in Chicago, us while driving to or from Florida) one guy called while we were beach hopping one day. In any case I just wanted to clear a bit of the confusion up.

I run an ethical company, in fact the owner had no idea what he had, and I could have helped my self to any of the books but I don't roll that way. I will not try to tick any of your members. I have to make some decisions in the next few days regarding this collection and how we will bring it to market. Be sure I will let this group know my plans.

I want to say again how helpful the folks at CGC were and how much I was impressed with their operation. I have held a Top Secret SCI CRYPTO COSMIC clearance (Top Secret for all NATO countries with CRYPTO access [read almost unlimited access] and their security was as good as what I have seen guarding Nuke launch codes, (or at lest very close). And, they are professional, and nice as well. Everyone I have met so far in this field of collecting has been more than nice.

Thanks for you kind words.

Rob

Our hobby was going down the tubes when CGC entered the fray. I, for one, am indebted to them.GOD BLESS...

This is all still up in the air.

Here is what is happening. A little background is in order.

I lived in St. Louis and my grandfather lived in Southern IL (Benton or West Frankfort, I forget which and had people in both).

Some my very best memories of my childhood involve visits to see this wonderful man (Dallas Darnell) and him taking me to the store. I was the baby and he had a car that you could start with a beer can opener. He would start the car with his "key" and let me set on his lap and drive to the store where he would always let me pick out a couple of comic books. I loved comic books and he knew it.

Fast forward a few years, my son was born in Germany while I was in the army. We taught him to read at an early age and he has ALWAYS loved comic books, go ahead and ask him almost any question, then sit back while he tells you every little detail. Now here is why I told you this.

I am the Auctioneer, but he is my son. I didn't want to by bags and boards, he talked me into it. I didn't want to go to the CGC except for the few best books, but he talked me into it. I wanted to sell all the CGC graded books as individual books he has other ideas. I have to say so far he has been right more often than I have in this deal. So, we are still talking about it. He says some of the books (even the graded ones) should go in small runs.

I am starting to think Rob lite may be right again, damn he is a smart kid.

Remember Mound City is a beer town, classic and lite, not lite and heavy OK?

Rob Classic (not heavy)