• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Collection One of the Greatest Silver Age Finds of the Century

2,756 posts in this topic

I think when someone is new here they don't realize the level of sophistication of the collectors on these boards. By all accounts that is a nice collection. My favorite collection of the last 9.75 years though was the Toth collection :cloud9:

The Toth collection is also another stunning example. Some raw Toths in the Heritage auction tonight.

:acclaim:

You like me you really like me. lol

Thanks for the kind words guys. Interstingly enough this collection is from very very close to were my dad grew up. hm

Must've been a hot spot for comics back in the day.

I'll also have some interesting news to give ya'll in the next couple of days so check my thread. hm

:grin: (thumbs u

If the AF 15 is an 8.0, I think it will be interesting to compare the prices achieved on c-link or any other major auction site to what this one will achieve on a slightly lesser known site.

The one book in here that does have intrigued is that showcase 22.

All she could tell me was the SC 22 is > 6.0. Think about it. It has 2 chips BC, several spine creases (some distinct in the green), light crease upper right...but it DOES break color, upper left corner wear, and a small stain spot in one of the letters. I say 7.0 at best. Taking nothing away from it, it's a bright BEAUT !

The GL #1 and X-Men #1 are 9.4 (she is almost positive about it).

The BB 28 is 7.0.

All CGC Blue tops.

Too bad teh Showcase 22 wasn't the 9.4 instead of the GL 1. That's still a really, really nice Show 22 eye appeal wise.

BB 28 is nice.

I'm too biased against GL 1 to really appreciate it.

Puppet hater.

I really am. Still, I can't imagine that book won't perform very well.

7.0 broke $2000 on Comiclink which is pretty good.

(thumbs u

Puppet hater.

(thumbs u

Puppet lover.

Puppet hater.

(thumbs u

It ended up at $2355, right? I guess Rick was correct with his prediction that the puppet book would go up nicely as well.

Puppet hater.

(thumbs u

Puppet lover.

That's what she said.

Yes from my understanding people will not have to be present. On line bidding will be available
What's the date?

To anyone else planning on coming to the auction, you're chances of finding a bed at my place are slim. 2 boardies already. But I might squeeze in another if you and I are close enough to possibly split a hotel room at a con. However, it sounds like maybe we need to have a mini-forum/dealer dinner the night before/of the auction.

@jkrk: You have a spot reserved. No meals included. You share a bathroom. And it's $450/night. But it's homier than a hotel room.

Transplant thanks for the offer......I'll get back to you shortly. (thumbs u

I

Attention Boardies: :acclaim:

Unforunately I won't be able to attend the ST' Louis showing of the greatest SA comic collection ever as the warden will not let me leave NY. but.........here's what I might be able to do for you.

I might be able to get you a spot at Transplant's pad. The price is $650 for the night which is great since there is no charge for using the bathroom. (thumbs u

Food is not included but for the reasonably priced room rate I'm sure you're not surprised.

In addition, Transplant hints that for the one time special deal some form of entertainment might be included.

LMK

Jay

Attention Boardies: :acclaim:

Unforunately I won't be able to attend the ST' Louis showing of the greatest SA comic collection ever as the warden will not let me leave NY. but.........here's what I might be able to do for you.

I might be able to get you a spot at Transplant's pad. The price is $650 for the night which is great since there is no charge for using the bathroom. (thumbs u

Food is not included but for the reasonably priced room rate I'm sure you're not surprised.

In addition, Transplant hints that for the one time special deal some form of entertainment might be included.

LMK

Jay

:takeit:

A few points seem to be in order

1) St. Louis is Mound City a name given to it by River Boat Pilots much as Chicago was called the windy city. St. Louis was covered at one time by Indian mounds.

2) The collection was discovered by my wife in St. Louis, MO. when she was setting up for an estate auction.

3) No one from my company Mound City Collectibles and Auctions LLC has posted to this board prior to this post (in fact I regestered here this morning)

4) I was selling a house and running an open house at another home when the original poster put his info. here. I have no idea who he is but he is NOT the point of contact for his sale we are and our website has several ways to contact us.

5) We are still in talks about exactly where and when we will sell the books.

They will sell in Nov. of 2009

6) We took all 3000 + books to the CGC last week.

7) We ran we ran box after box thourgh the CGC as walk throughs (250 +)

8) The collection is new to the market and has never been seen till now

9) The man who collected them lived in St. Louis and bought them all himself (a large number of them came from a barber shop/magazine store on Lemay Ferry road)

10) I do 8 to 12 auctions per month and am not a comic book expert

11) My son went to Chicago to market the books.

12) We did not put a date on the flyer he made because we do not know the date yet.

13) We are doing a quick turn arround at the request of the family lawyer and the estate dictates the timing on the sale, period.

14) My son spoke to many of you but I would not let him take the books with him.

15) The grades will be posted on my website as soon as I can get them there. I sold a house last Sunday and another this Sunday and as you can imagine we are fairly busy.

16) Any book with a GPA value of $150 or higher was submited to the CGC, via prescreen.

17) The people at CGC were VERY helpful to us and took pity on us, thanks to all of them, they worked their behinds off for us.

18) The collection did not get a pedigree, but since they all came from Mound City we are calling them the Mound City collection.

19) My google adwords campain has generated over 2.5 million impressions so I must be doing something right.

20) I wish to repeat, I have absolutly no idea who started this thread, I did not, my wife, daughter, or son did not. I would have posted to the selling thread. By the way were was the "old news" GA? posted at? I am new, here and have no clue.

21) I am an Auctioneer, not a comic expert so please don't beat me up.

Rob

Forgot to say

We will have online bidding.

We will take cash.

We will take checks, with a hold on the items, please see our website for terms

www.moundcityauctions.com

As to the scans, they are very good scans but you have to follow the directions and click on the magnifing glass to see the high res. scan view. I put directions on the page please follow them.