• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bad transaction between me and Forum member GreatEscape

308 posts in this topic

Anyone that has an "ebay grade" and then an actual grade is someone who is knowingly and intentionally misrepresenting books.

Guy is a complete steaming pile of mess.

I would like to know Dino, why you put one grade on a book here and another, higher grade, on eBay.

All the other hubub with Andy (and Im glad it got fixed although it should have never gotten this far) is clouding over the blatant eBay misrepresentation of grades.

Without reading this thread let me take a stab at what happened.

Seller accused of ripping off buyer in some way or another.

Board members can’t believe something like this could happen.

Board members jump all over seller calling him out as a big jerk and accusing him/her for all that is wrong with the hobby.

Seller makes an appearance in the thread to defend him/herself and offer a refund.

Board members all chime in with a big (thumbs u and “congrats! So happy you two we’re able to work everything out.”

Am I close?

Anyone that has an "ebay grade" and then an actual grade is someone who is knowingly and intentionally misrepresenting books.

I would like to know Dino, why you put one grade on a book here and another, higher grade, on eBay.

All the other hubub with Andy (and Im glad it got fixed although it should have never gotten this far) is clouding over the blatant eBay misrepresentation of grades.

I am intrigued by this as well. This just makes me sad.

Really think (like i said 45 posts ago) this one should be left. It shouldn't have come this far (for Andy to have to come to the boards for assistance) but now it has been resolved. Keep poking at something thats fixed and you break it again!!! 2c

Really think (like i said 45 posts ago) this one should be left. It shouldn't have come this far (for Andy to have to come to the boards for assistance) but now it has been resolved. Keep poking at something thats fixed and you break it again!!! 2c

Sorry, but whilst Andy is 'fixed', this issue isn't.

A book is a certain grade, irrespective of where it is being sold. The question of how this book becomes 'better' when appearing on eBay is still important.

Important to Dino's rep, that is, and also to potential future buyers, I would think.

Maybe we can let this go people?Andy and Dino have settled this matter with a refund from Dino.If they are ok (pending refund)maybe we should be too.

I agree, this thread needs to be put to rest.

DRX

I love this thread, but sometimes you just need to put it down.

9780064403825.jpg

Fred Gipson is buried in the State Cemetary located here in downtown Austin. This thread can now be laid to rest as well.

Board members jump all over seller calling him out as a big jerk and accusing him/her for all that is wrong with the hobby.

Seller makes an appearance in the thread to defend him/herself and offer a refund.

Board members all chime in with a big (thumbs u and “congrats! So happy you two we’re able to work everything out.”

Am I close?

I give your "Oh look I'm smarter than you all by not reading this" post an Ebay grade of 4.0

Am I close?

I give your "Oh look I'm smarter than you all by not reading this" post an Ebay grade of 4.0

Does that mean it would receive a Forum grade of 1.8?

What is so hard to understand? How far does this need to go?

Pick any of the below answers.

1). He lists it higher on ebay because everybody else does it.

I don't.

2). Because he chooses to.

3). Because he's an optimistic seller.

4). Because ebay buyers can't grade.

I can.

A book is a certain grade, irrespective of where it is being sold. The question of how this book becomes 'better' when appearing on eBay is still important.

Important to Dino's rep, that is, and also to potential future buyers, I would think.

then start a thread about overgrading (im sure there's not been one before!!!)...don't make this just about Dino...how many times have i personally bought a comic off ebay, fingers crossed, hoping it will arrived at the grade advertised, only to be disappointed...

I don't.

I can.

I don't think Bob would disagree with you. There was a long thread 6 months or more ago about a new boardie that had very similar themes about "board grades" vs "ebay grades" - I don't think it went over real well at the time.

then start a thread about overgrading (im sure there's not been one before!!!)...don't make this just about Dino...how many times have i personally bought a comic off ebay, fingers crossed, hoping it will arrived at the grade advertised, only to be disappointed...

But was that due to someone who intentionally misrepresents the grades or doesn't really understand how to grade properly in the first place? Its a valid point as in this case it was admittedly intentional. It's shifty.

I wouldn't.

I'm not sure that someone when confronted on a board will come right out and admit that they overgrade on purpose.

So would that mean I've lost the benefit of the doubt before I've even looked at a book?

I don't.

I can.

I don't think Bob would disagree with you. There was a long thread 6 months or more ago about a new boardie that had very similar themes about "board grades" vs "ebay grades" - I don't think it went over real well at the time.

It wasn't a new boardie, it was dekeuk. Flat out admitted it.

One of the inherent problems with grading is that everyone does it differently.

There is a middle of the road consensus (thanks in no small part to CGC) as to what *most* people can agree on but there is still a varied opinion on exact grade.

Take one book for example.

One person will grade a book a VF

Another person may call it a *CGC* VF because that is what they believe the book might grade.

Another person might call this an old school NM

Another person might call this a regular NM (cause some people like the friendliest dealer in the South, God rest his soul, didn't grade with microscopes)

There are many different ways to grade a book depend on who is looking at it and how they are looking at it.

Now I have bought books off of eBay where the seller had put more than one grade into a description....his grade VF/ old school NM

I think this is ok.

Heck I had a Bronze book I recently sold in our selling forum as a CGC 9.0 get resubbed by a boardie and it came back 9.6 and I'm out $600 difference. It happens.

All of these people are correct in their grading (including CGC) if they truly believe that they are grading the book accurately at the time that they are grading the book.

Keep in mind that this is NOT an excuse for purposefully misrepresenting the grade which would be considered wrong by almost everyone.

Heck I had a Bronze book I recently sold in our selling forum as a CGC 9.0 get resubbed by a boardie and it came back 9.6 and I'm out $600 difference. It happens.

Redo the math, you are out $0.