• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bad transaction between me and Forum member GreatEscape

308 posts in this topic

Is there a middle ground somewhere here? Maybe list the book, see what it fetches on the open market and then sort it out from there?

There's no middle ground. Seller should take the book back for a full refund. Period. Buyer is out CGC grading fees and shipping the thing around as the cost of doing business.

Is there a middle ground somewhere here? Maybe list the book, see what it fetches on the open market and then sort it out from there?

There's no middle ground. Seller should take the book back for a full refund. Period. Buyer is out CGC grading fees and shipping the thing around as the cost of doing business.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u

DRX

Andy wrote :

He then offers me a partial refund of $180 that I accept, with the proviso that if it comes back from CGC with tan or worse pages, that I would be entitled to a refund on the balance owed (about $1070). He agrees to this.

Did you agree to this 'proviso' Dino?

Andy wrote :

He then offers me a partial refund of $180 that I accept, with the proviso that if it comes back from CGC with tan or worse pages, that I would be entitled to a refund on the balance owed (about $1070). He agrees to this.

Do you agree to this 'proviso' Dino?

Indeed.

Maybe Andy or Dino can confirm? (shrug)

...page quality was listed as off-white and in my opinion it is light tan to cream (in places simply tan).

So...you lied on the listing? (shrug)

That was from Andy to Dino :gossip:

I've been trying to contact the previous owner from whom I purchased the book to get (1) partial compensation in light of Andy's CGC grade that I promised to give to Andy and (2) possibly a verification that CGC or PGX had graded this previously with CRM-OW page quality and not brittle pages-- which would support my condition assessment at the time of sale;

I don't understand the relevance of either of these points as they pertain to the transaction.

1) Your deal with the previous owner is between that person and yourself. Andy should not have to wait for you to get a refund from the prior owner. They are separate. Making good with Andy should not be contingent on getting something from someone else. You did the deal with Andy. You hold the responsibility to pay him back, not the prior owner..

2) How would a "prior" grade and PQ assignment have any relevance or bearing on a deal today? Being that this is a Golden Age book, whatever it was graded at some time earlier to today is irrelevant. It's a piece of ephemera that was printed on the cheapest possible paper. If CGC called the PQ CRM/OW years ago that is not proof or evidence of it's PQ today. Any of a hundred things could have happened to the book from the time it was originally slabbed (which you don't know when that was) to the time you sold it. Whatever CGC or (God forbid PGX doh!) identified the PQ as at some time prior to the book being removed from a slab for some length of time does not support the condition of the book at the time you sold it.

The only actual evidence of condition, grade and PQ is what it says on the CGC slab right now. The rest is conjecture. And frankly, if it was a PGX slabbed previously, are you actually going to hang your hat on the fact that they got it right?

There's about $1,000 minimum GPA difference between a 2.5 and a 5.0, if Andy is asking for $750 to make it right and not a full refund I think you are getting off light.

Best,

Chris

A quote from Andy:

"After emailing stars-and-stripes to let him know that I am very dissatisfied with the book, he states that he will not accept a return, but will offer it to the underbidder on my behalf. Such an arrangement would set me back about $160, so I decline this option. He then offers me a partial refund of $180 that I accept, with the proviso that if it comes back from CGC with tan or worse pages, that I would be entitled to a refund on the balance owed (about $1070). He agrees to this".

I don’t think it’s fair for me to pay you for CGC page quality…if restoration were found (which is either there or not), that would be different.

I can appreciate your disappointment on the CGC grade but all collectors have experienced this (even on the boards) and I’ve had my share of + and -. It was not restored and I disagree with CGC’s assessment of page quality

So what about you listing this book as "VG/FN (5.0)with nice off-white pages" and it coming back as a 2.5.

Do you also disagree with the grade CGC gave this book, or so you still stand by your own grade ?

A quote from Andy:

"After emailing stars-and-stripes to let him know that I am very dissatisfied with the book, he states that he will not accept a return, but will offer it to the underbidder on my behalf. Such an arrangement would set me back about $160, so I decline this option. He then offers me a partial refund of $180 that I accept, with the proviso that if it comes back from CGC with tan or worse pages, that I would be entitled to a refund on the balance owed (about $1070). He agrees to this".

Well if this is true then perhaps a refund is in order? GE needs to confirm if this discussion ever happened.

I had almost this exact situation with an Ebay seller, and I had trouble getting across the point that I didn't want the difference in the value of the book as advertised (5.0) and the actual book (2.5). The point was that I didn't want that 2.5 book in my collection!

You advertised a book at 5.0, and you didn't deliver. Case closed, offer a full refund. doh!

Dino:

After hearing both sides of the story, I feel that Andy should be compensated at least 100% of the purchase price. It doesn't matter wether or not you sold a book to a board member through ebay or the boards. It's my sugestion that you pay him or it will drastically hurt your reputation as a seller on these boards.

Mike

Edited! $750 to make the transaction right.

I respect everyone's opinions and therefore I'll be sending $750 to Andy to resolve this. It is, however, disheartening that this forum-- as a defacto public jury-- would see so many serve judgment before hearing both sides. :(

Dino

Some good material there Sal. Mind if I borrow your phrase of "go himself with a rake"?

i'm sorry, but all my posts, their content, style and exectution are the sole intellectual property of "Sal Inc.©" and cannot be used, transmitted or otherwise broadcast for any use, public or private

Can we still enjoy them and use the odd phrase off these boards?

Atta girl Lauren... (thumbs u

Verry funny Rick. :o

I could nearly be Lauren's Mother if I wasn't married at 30 years

old and of course I didn't dare participate in pre-marital sex. (tsk)

hm ...maybe once or twice. (shrug)

Yup...I could be Laurens father as well... :preach:

Wait...that don't sound right... :slapfight:

You wouldn't be able to afford me as your daughter. Just ask my dad! lol

Dino:

After hearing both sides of the story, I feel that Andy should be compensated at least 100% of the purchase price. It doesn't matter wether or not you sold a book to a board member through ebay or the boards. It's my sugestion that you pay him or it will drastically hurt your reputation as a seller on these boards.

Mike

I respect everyone's opinions and therefore I'll be sending $750 to Andy to resolve this. It is, however, disheartening that this forum-- as a defacto public jury-- would see so many serve judgment before hearing both sides. :(

Dino

I thought we had heard both sides. Is there more?

Dino:

Mike

Dino

Sorry, mate, but you didn't have a 'side'.

You have not contradicted anything Andy said and you have given no reasonable justification for your actions. It was clear cut from the get-go. (thumbs u