• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bad transaction between me and Forum member GreatEscape

308 posts in this topic

Dino:

After hearing both sides of the story, I feel that Andy should be compensated at least 100% of the purchase price. It doesn't matter wether or not you sold a book to a board member through ebay or the boards. It's my sugestion that you pay him or it will drastically hurt your reputation as a seller on these boards.

Mike

Edited! $750 to make the transaction right.

I respect everyone's opinions and therefore I'll be sending $750 to Andy to resolve this. It is, however, disheartening that this forum-- as a defacto public jury-- would see so many serve judgment before hearing both sides. :(

Dino

Just to be clear, you sent Andy a $180 partial refund prior to today right?

I respect everyone's opinions and therefore I'll be sending $750 to Andy to resolve this. It is, however, disheartening that this forum-- as a defacto public jury-- would see so many serve judgment before hearing both sides. :(

Dino

***** REPUTATION *****

86379.jpg.3a37b68cbf3edccb35f044b2e5912ad2.jpg

Dino:

After hearing both sides of the story, I feel that Andy should be compensated at least 100% of the purchase price. It doesn't matter wether or not you sold a book to a board member through ebay or the boards. It's my sugestion that you pay him or it will drastically hurt your reputation as a seller on these boards.

Mike

Dino

It should never have gotten to this point Dino. He wasn't happy with the book. You refused to accept a return. I haven't seen you dispute this. Everything else is not worth discussing.

Dino:

Mike

Dino

Sorry, mate, but you didn't have a 'side'.

You have not contradicted anything Andy said and you have given no reasonable justification for your actions. It was clear cut from the get-go. (thumbs u

(thumbs u

Dino

I've learned from experience to reserve judgment until I hear both sides of these arguments. (thumbs u

Dino:

Mike

Dino

It should never have gotten to this point Dino. He wasn't happy with the book. You refused to accept a return. I haven't seen you dispute this. Everything else is not worth discussing.

And the story about the family member with financial troubles just doesn't seem to hold water? Was this GE's book or someone else's? Either way if your listing it you should be prepared to make sure the transaction is dealt with in good faith.

I was not asked to sit on the jury, but I do find it interesting that folks would make any statements without hearing both sides....

now, don't get me wrong, I have no reason to question Andy's details of the transaction...from what I know, he is a stand up guy, and I believe we had some nice chats in SD this year... and what I (and apparently the majority) would do, is fine and dandy and the concensus ...

that said, having known Dino for years, this does not sound like his modus operandi...again, not saying he is not in the wrong based on industry standards and Andy's description of the events, but I would like to hear the other side before condeming ... just my opinion

Actually Rick it might be his "modus operandi".

Here is a story related to me last night by a well respected board member and one of my best friends (who didn't want to pile on Dino as the transaction is a year old)

Anyways Dino has a book on the Bay, after the auction ends without a sale, my friend contacts Dino about it. It's supposed to be a 7.5 but Dino informs him that it is his "Ebay grade" and probably closer to a 6-6.5. They work on a deal at that grade but my friends biggest concern is the staples and that the book is well secured. No problem he is told...when it arrives of course it was detached at one staple :(

To make a long story short my friend still owns a book he doesn't want and not by his choice. :sorry:

Jim

I want to know more of this "eBay grade", and how this situation ended. :foryou:

Dino:

Mike

Dino

Just to be clear, you sent Andy a $180 partial refund prior to today right?

Yes, partial refund back in April. Andy examined the book in hand and asked for a partial refund (which I promptly provided) in lieu of a return. The last refund request came last month after getting CGC grade. Omitted from Andy's description was that the two spine splits were disclosed and even pictured in my eBay listing.

I called this one yesterday that GE would post mid day today and make this right. I am sure GE wishes at this point that he had just settled up prior to this dirty laundry being aired out on this thread. Sabre rattlers in the peanut gallery I am sure caused a heavy heart and some disillusionment with GE. But point is, its settled, GE refunding an additional $750 to the partial he has already given.

Money in hand is hard to let go, it clouds what may seem crystal to everyone else. But point is GE did right thing in end, preserving a long standing rep that is worth much more than 1k, and all is right in the world.

Respectfully, Andy wasn't happy with the CGC grade. When he got the book, he chose to keep the book with the partial refund. If it came back restored, there would be no issue.

Just so I'm clear...are you endorsing that if you buy a book from a fellow boardie (dealer or collector alike) and are later disappointed with the CGC grade-- undisclosed restoration notwithstanding-- that you deserve a refund?

Omitted from Andy's description was that the two spine splits were disclosed and even pictured in my eBay listing.

Fair enough. (thumbs u

However, could I ask how you arrived at a VG/FN (5.0) with full knowledge of those not-insubstantial splits? (shrug)

Indeed - I think it great that the seller stepped up and is making this right, however, some questions still remain (as above).

What is the story behind the 'eBay' grading? Did Dino actually tell Andy that he was having financial troubles when it seems he is/was not?

I'm sorry, but I'm of the mind that as a seller I will offer a full and unconditional refund with no questions asked. Unless it is clear that no returns are accepted prior to any agreement. I don't care if the buyer was having a bad day or even buyer's remorse. It's just the right thing to do.

Once the transaction reaches public air you're always going to have people choosing sides. That's life and human nature.

I'm still waiting to see Dino's 'side' here - THAT is what will restore or hurt his reputation. Making this transaction right is a good first step.

Respectfully, Andy wasn't happy with the CGC grade. When he got the book, he chose to keep the book with the partial refund. If it came back restored, there would be no issue.

??? I thought you had refused a return on the book, no? If Andy couldn't return it, how did he have a choice?

In any case, glad you guys are back on track.

This is why you should never offer "partial refunds". If the buyer isn't happy with the book, take it back no questions asked. Partial refunds always end up only making people "partially happy."