• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman appreciation and information thread
10 10

315 posts in this topic

Here are some of the Spanish examples I could find. There's a #4 there obviously and one that looks like it would be 5 or 6 as it does not have one of the Whitman covers reproduced. I've also included a pic of some of the original art pages I own of issue #6 by Dan Spiegle.

143534.jpg.8f30601da37c279e15a0f3f6bf8851eb.jpg

143535.jpg.e8dc2c879636131ad1f53bcedde847c9.jpg

143536.jpg.c32e43eead9b0d42dcbe24b403b89ba1.jpg

143537.jpg.e293ba8e97f9800ff7fe837126395414.jpg

Here are some of the Spanish examples I could find. There's a #4 there obviously and one that looks like it would be 5 or 6 as it does not have one of the Whitman covers reproduced. I've also included a pic of some of the original art pages I own of issue #6 by Dan Spiegle.

Very nice covers & OA! I'm sure it was hard to acquire them?

I don't have the Spanish books, only the art. Lucked into finding them in an auction. Thought it was neat as it was unpublished and I was on the hunt for #4 for years as I had bought that same 2 pak at a local Bay store back in 1980. Found the pak on Ebay back in the early 2000's. I was bidding on that one as well as a Buck Rogers 8/Flash Gordon 30 pak from the same seller. Thought the Black Hole was the one that I would lose out on; but the Buck Rogers pak went for more. Wouldn't be the case today I'm sure.

Edited by Bellrules1

I had seen it but knew it was going to be out of my price range. When raw copies go for crazy money, a cgc 9.8 will hit the stratosphere. Very nice! These books seem to be picking up steam again. For a while, prices seemed to be a lull but seem to be slowly rising. Fun books to collect. Nice to see other collectors of these books on the boards.

My Whitman set is almost complete 180 Whitmans I need three more books Uncle Scrooge 179, Super goof 60 and 61 !!

If anyone is selling I am buying. I want this set complete !

I have 150 books at CGC being graded I am ready for this to be complete afer 20 years of collecting.

Edited by mttemp

Hi

I am a whitman collector looking to buy books for my set. I need a copy of Uncle Scrooge 179 and super goof 60 if anyone is selling look me up I pay top dollar !

Welcome to the boards, mttemp!

You may have more success at getting responses to your request for the Uncle Scrooges and Super Goofs by posting in the Want To Buy thread. It's specifically geared for such requests.

Best of luck on completing your Whitman set.

I would like to buy it for my set if you want to sell it. I am looking for a

Uncle Scrooge 179 if you know of a high grade one.

Thanks Bonnie

No thanks Bonnie, I just got this baby and want to enjoy it for awhile! (tsk) I will keep you in mind though encase I do decide to sell. (thumbs u

Uncle Scrooge #179 is hard to find in any grade, I don't know who has a high grade copy for sale. It would run you some big-time change for it though! hm

Don't forget the DC Super Hero Whitman Variants.

Hardest Whitman variant of all to find:

DC Comics Presents #22

It is more rare then the SGT Rock and Warlord Whitman variants.

There are approximately 3 to 5 known copies to exist. Until March 2012 or so, it was only rumored to exist until 1 copy popped up. Since then, there have been 2 more low grade copies on eBay over the past year and half. I believe one of these belonged to Bellerules1, another belonged to Doug Sulipa and the 1st to emerge on the scene was on the STL forums.

All copies are very low grade (3.0 to 4.5) from the pics.

and there a no copies that have been CGC'd to date.

This copy is only the 4th copy I am aware of. Here's a picture.

dc22whitman_zpscb9b02ea.jpg

Don't forget the DC Super Hero Whitman Variants.

Hardest Whitman variant of all to find:

DC Comics Presents #22

It is more rare then the SGT Rock and Warlord Whitman variants.

There are approximately 3 to 5 known copies to exist. Until March 2012 or so, it was only rumored to exist until 1 copy popped up. Since then, there have been 2 more low grade copies on eBay over the past year and half. I believe one of these belonged to Bellerules1, another belonged to Doug Sulipa and the 1st to emerge on the scene was on the STL forums.

All copies are very low grade (3.0 to 4.5) from the pics.

and there a no copies that have been CGC'd to date.

dc22whitman_zpscb9b02ea.jpg

Yeah, that would classify as rare! lol

DC Comics Presents #22

There are approximately 3 to 5 known copies to exist.

I believe one of these belonged to Bellerules1, another belonged to Doug Sulipa and the 1st to emerge on the scene was on the STL forums.

:news: Add to your summary that peterpark snagged a copy from a seller here on the boards :news:

So including yours, at least 5 have been brought to light! :golfclap::luhv::takeit:

My rough rule of thumb for "rarity" is if mycomicshop.com doesn't ever get one to pop up - I've had DC Presents 22 Whitman on my "want list" from them for 18 months and have never gotten a hit. For comparison sakes, the Warlord Remco has popped up twice (neither time did I get it :cry: ) in that time period.