• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman appreciation and information thread
10 10

315 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I had a flood in my basement (thank goodness no comics were harmed!) and it's been a blessing and a curse.

Obviously, it was annoying to have all my comics moved into storage while they rebuilt my basement, but the good news is that I have been able to revisit all my comics as they return.

Which brings me to the Whitman question.

How do folks around here catalogue any unopened 3-packs/4-packs they have?

I'm trying to create/maintain my 3-packs for he sake of creating want lists, knowing what I have etc. and am trying to see what sort of system might work.

My collection is not huge on these, but I do have a dozen or so. I have "categories" that I've roughly developed based on the top of the packs:

Marvel Packs - I only have one of these at the moment.Green top and called "Marvel Multi-Mags" ($99 cents)

Character Pack - where are three books are the same character or title: Star Wars, Black Hole, Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, Donald Duck

Orange Top - where the top is ... orange. Except this category has the "Comic-Pac" and the "Comic-Pack!" variety in my collection (89 cents and $1.09).

Clear Top - the ones with no writing on the top. (which I also believe to be the ones where the rare books were. I don't have any 3-packs of all rare books, but one of my packs is an US #178). These have sub-categories:

"3 Comic Value" ($1.09)

"Fun-Pac 4 for 59 cents"

"Disney Favorites" ($1.09)

"Cartoon Favorites" ($1.09) - also could be called "gumball machine" as that is the image on the front.

So those are the ones I am working with at the moment to try and get some sense of order for that I can put into a database.

Does anyone have a system they use? It would be cool is we had a way to call the packs (if for no other reason than we could more easily identify those middle books!)

Hello all,

I had a flood in my basement (thank goodness no comics were harmed!) and it's been a blessing and a curse.

Obviously, it was annoying to have all my comics moved into storage while they rebuilt my basement, but the good news is that I have been able to revisit all my comics as they return.

Which brings me to the Whitman question.

How do folks around here catalogue any unopened 3-packs/4-packs they have?

I'm trying to create/maintain my 3-packs for he sake of creating want lists, knowing what I have etc. and am trying to see what sort of system might work.

My collection is not huge on these, but I do have a dozen or so. I have "categories" that I've roughly developed based on the top of the packs:

Marvel Packs - I only have one of these at the moment.Green top and called "Marvel Multi-Mags" ($99 cents)

Character Pack - where are three books are the same character or title: Star Wars, Black Hole, Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, Donald Duck

Orange Top - where the top is ... orange. Except this category has the "Comic-Pac" and the "Comic-Pack!" variety in my collection (89 cents and $1.09).

Clear Top - the ones with no writing on the top. (which I also believe to be the ones where the rare books were. I don't have any 3-packs of all rare books, but one of my packs is an US #178). These have sub-categories:

"3 Comic Value" ($1.09)

"Fun-Pac 4 for 59 cents"

"Disney Favorites" ($1.09)

"Cartoon Favorites" ($1.09) - also could be called "gumball machine" as that is the image on the front.

So those are the ones I am working with at the moment to try and get some sense of order for that I can put into a database.

Does anyone have a system they use? It would be cool is we had a way to call the packs (if for no other reason than we could more easily identify those middle books!)

Does this help?

http://www.dougcomicworld.com/INVENTORY-WhitmanComicsSite.html

(Off topic - the summer flood sucked )

That's my go-to resource for Whitman books rarity. I'm thinking more of a way to track the sealed 3-packs. I have a number of un-opened ones.

Fortunately, my flood was a clear-water over-flowing washing machine and only went about 1cm deep. The insurance was awesome. Put my entire basement (including 25,000 comics) into a secure, environmentally controlled storage facility while they repaired the basement - took everything up to 4 ft in drywall and completely rebuilt my basement. It took almost a year though.

Word of advice all - raise your comics OFF the floor my a couple inches. Saved me thousands and thousands. Valuable stuff to main floor or a safe.

Today I scanned a bunch of Whitman books into the database and will be posting on my blog about them shortly (www.funosphere.com) - if it's okay to post a URL here - if not, I guess I'll find out shortly.

Fun thread to read here! I remember had read many Whitman comics in my boyhood days. Grandma used to always buy 1-2 packs for me when Igo to visit her at her home.

Now, I got a Whitman question along maybe bit off-related but here it is:

What about comic digest editions?

I see all are comic books posted here, but no digests. I have (4) 2-digest sealed packs - Walt Disney Comics & Stories #54 and 55 with yellow Whitman logo. I think they were from 1977? I have wondered about these digests - are they worth more than the GK digests?

Any of you had seen the 2-digest sealed packs like mine around? Seems the digest packs are less in market than the regular comic book packs.

Here is my newly CGC graded Whitman thread contribution! :headbang::cloud9:

<a  href=BTBH_4_CGC80_zps591a1010.jpg' alt='BTBH_

E-Bay just had 2 of these up this past week. One was CGC and the other was not. I think the CGC was a 7.5. Strange seeing 3 of these things in one week after months of not seeing one.

p><p> What

It has tremendous cross-over appeal because it's got a T-Rex, and spaceship on the cover, and there's people who collect dino and spaceship covers. It's the last and harder to find issue of the BH move adaptation in comics. It's a must for a Whitman rares completist.

I found 5 in the space of a few months. They're out there. Some of it is dumb luck, but with a little effort you can find them relatively easy.

hm

Here is my latest purchase that I won today on CC! :cloud9: This copy will do the Whitman appreciation thread proud! Only one other 9.8 on the CGC census! :headbang:

I will be selling my Black Hole #4 CGC 8.0 in the next week or so! (thumbs u

<a  href=BTBH_4_CGC_98F_zps2bc2a61f.jpg' alt='BTB

Edited by jaja-mon12

Yeah, that is incredible! Considering there are only about 175 copies known to exist! hm

I had been watching this 9.8 copy for weeks, it kinda flew under the radar! (thumbs u I'm very happy to own it! :cloud9:

I think the number of copies is higher than this based on anecdotal evidence. Either this, or these comics don't stay in peoples collection for very long. This was a foreign released comic and it will be hard to determine the numbers, but as the world becomes more and more connected, I believe we'll understand better how many copies are out there.

Yeah, that is incredible! Considering there are only about 175 copies known to exist! hm

I had been watching this 9.8 copy for weeks, it kinda flew under the radar! (thumbs u I'm very happy to own it! :cloud9:

I think the number of copies is higher than this based on anecdotal evidence. Either this, or these comics don't stay in peoples collection for very long. This was a foreign released comic and it will be hard to determine the numbers, but as the world becomes more and more connected, I believe we'll understand better how many copies are out there.

I agree, there is no bonafide way of knowing just exactly how many are out there. hm I'm just basing thing on rumored totals. I am glad I have my new copy though! :headbang:

Foreign released?

I don't believe the Black Hole #4 foreign release was ever verified. (shrug)

I thought I read somewhere (these boards?) in the past couple of years that copies were found in Australia or another overseas country. It's possible the copies made it there from the US I guess. Or my recollection is wrong. (shrug)

Foreign released?

I don't believe the Black Hole #4 foreign release was ever verified. (shrug)

I thought I read somewhere (these boards?) in the past couple of years that copies were found in Australia or another overseas country. It's possible the copies made it there from the US I guess. Or my recollection is wrong. (shrug)

You are probably correct also! I was referring more to an accurate paper trail on the guesstimated amount sold abroad. The Recalled Comics site estimates about 175 total copies to exist and AJ is usually spot on with his statistics. (thumbs u