• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman appreciation and information thread
10 10

315 posts in this topic

Does anyone know anything about Whitman variants?

Specifically, I saw some Pink Panther books today that are not listed in Overstreet as having a Whitman variant. I think they were issue 20 & 22. Overstreet has the Whitman issues starting at 71.

In regards to the art on the Balck Hole books, you're right it's pretty horrible. I own two unpublished pages from what was supposed to be issue #6. It didn't get any better.
I'm actually a fan of his work. It reminds me of a handful of SGT. ROCK (and CREATURE COMMANDOS???) issues I loved as a kid... Edited by voorhees

Specifically, I saw some Pink Panther books today that are not listed in Overstreet as having a Whitman variant. I think they were issue 20 & 22. Overstreet has the Whitman issues starting at 71.

DS claims that all Gold Keys from that era have Whitman counter-parts

This is really interesting. When I was a young lad and my Grandmother used to buy me comics, most of what I got were the Whitman packs. She bought them for me on a weekly basis until my grandfather passed away in the summer of 1981.

For now here is my US 180

UncleScrooge_180_fc.jpg

Just going through my Uncle Scrooge Whitman/Gold Keys from 165 to 206 (I do not have them all). These are what my grandmother had bought me, if anyone wants me to scan and post any of the following let me know:

165 (one each Gold Key & Whitman)

166 (1-GK, 1-W)

167 (1-GK)

168 (1-GK, 1-W)

169 (1-GK, 1-W)

170 (1-GK)

171 (1-GK)

172 (1-GK)

174 (1-W)

176 (1-W)

177 (1-W)

180 (1-W)

182 (1-W)

185 (1-W)

186 (2-W)

187 (1-W)

188 (1-W)

189 (1-W)

195 (1-W)

196 (1-W)

206 (1-W)

Funny thing is, most of the comics my grandparents bought me in the 1973 to 1981 range were the Whitman packs.

Most of what I see posted here look so familiar to me and bring back the memories. Sitting on the bed at Grandma's reading the comics while ma and dad played pinnocle (pea nuckle is how they pronounced it) with my grandparents, while listening to Ernie Harwel(sp) narrate the Tiger's ball game on a warm summer's Sunday afternoon.

DS claims that all Gold Keys from that era have Whitman counter-parts

That's true. I have a small stash of Whitman variants from when Gold Key was publishing.

Porky Pig 65

Porky Pig 67

Porky Pig 76

Chip n' Dale 31

Chip n' Dale 36

Chip n' Dale 37

Chip n' Dale 38

Chip n' Dale 40

Chip n' Dale 55

Little LuLu 230

Little LuLu 231

Little LuLu 240

Little LuLu 249

Pink Panther 30

Pink Panther 42

Pink Panther 51

Pink Panther 52

Pink Panther 54

Pink Panther 60

The Inspector 8

Heckle & Jeckle 28

Heckle & Jeckle 36

Robin Hood 7

Underdog 7

Underdog 12

Underdog 14

Scamp 45

Daisy & Donald 7

Daisy & Donald 15

Daisy & Donald 16

Daisy & Donald 20

Daisy & Donald 33

Daffy Duck 90

Daffy Duck 98

Yosemite Sam & Bugs Bunny 43

Yosemite Sam & Bugs Bunny 58

Scooby Doo 26

Huey, Dewey & Louie 35

Huey, Dewey & Louie 40

Huey, Dewey & Louie 45

Mickey Mouse 168

Mickey Mouse 170

Mickey Mouse 175

Mickey Mouse 191

Mickey Mouse 191

Mighty Mouse 52

Mighty Mouse 54

Mighty Mouse 54

Beagle Boys 28

Beagle Boys 34

Beagle Boys 36

Beagle Boys 44

Beagle Boys 47

Bugs Bunny 172

Bugs Bunny 187

Looney Tunes 13

Looney Tunes 23

Woody Woodpecker 165

Woody Woodpecker 166

Woody Woodpecker 168

Woody Woodpecker 172

Woody Woodpecker 172

Woody Woodpecker 175

Porky Pig 85

Porky Pig 85

Porky Pig & Bugs Bunny 67

Porky Pig & Bugs Bunny 83

Walt Disney Showcase 35

Super Goof 31

Super Goof 36

Super Goof 37

Super Goof 50

Tom & Jerry 287

Tom & Jerry 297

Tweety & Sylvester 53

Tweety & Sylvester 57

Tweety & Sylvester 68

Tweety & Sylvester 87

Tweety & Sylvester 90

Woodsy Owl 10

Fat Albert 11

Road Runner 64

Hi, great thread

I found the 2 below in a small original owner children's collection I bought recently. As I live in the UK it suggests they were distrubuted here in multi-packs too (?) however I've never heard of them being on sale. Any one remember?

There were 2 other Whitmans which you can see in the top left of the 3rd picture, didn't write down the numbers - can anyone identify?

BTW, the other comics were a portion of the rest of the collection - lots of UK pence variants DCs & Marvel...

Woody190.jpg

Tweety107.jpg

DCssep.jpg

Seem as though Chip N' Dale 68 (one of my favourite covers from that series) is now on the list of 39 rarest. Here are some OA covers of a few of the books from that list:

Chip_N_Dale_68_sized.jpg

Chip_N_Dale_68_CGC_sizedsm.jpg

Chip_N_Dale_69_sized.jpg

ChipNDale_69.jpg

BBRR_93_sized.jpg

BBRR_93_NM-.jpg

Hello again,

I started scanning all my Whitman's and have a nice, but not extensive collection of them. About 100 or so books it seems - with about a dozen "packs" (3-packs and a couple 4-packs).

There are some interesting observations that I'll post with the scans and let everyone know when that's ready.

Meanwhile, I did write a short essay on Uncle Scrooge price-varients (I collect Canadian price variants, any cover variant, and such for Uncle Scrooge especially).

If interested, here's a link to it:

http://www.funosphere.com/styled-12/styled/styled-9/page12.html

There's also a price variant thread on Archie comics - as those variants are still being produced! (or, were at least until a little while ago).

Let me now any thoughts you have on the above essay and I'll try to do a "Adventures with the three-pack" essay soon.

The three-packs were how I really started collecting comics when I was younger and many of the Whitman's I have are actually comics I bought off the rack in those three packs! :) Of course, I opened all of mine. More on all that in the article when I get time to compile the info and scan the books.

The three-packs were how I really started collecting comics when I was younger and many of the Whitman's I have are actually comics I bought off the rack in those three packs! :) Of course, I opened all of mine. More on all that in the article when I get time to compile the info and scan the books.

Me too. :cloud9:

This thread made me go flip through my old Whitman comics from 1978-1984. My favorites then and now are the Duck books and Popeye.

Hello again,

I started scanning all my Whitman's and have a nice, but not extensive collection of them. About 100 or so books it seems - with about a dozen "packs" (3-packs and a couple 4-packs).

There are some interesting observations that I'll post with the scans and let everyone know when that's ready.

Meanwhile, I did write a short essay on Uncle Scrooge price-varients (I collect Canadian price variants, any cover variant, and such for Uncle Scrooge especially).

If interested, here's a link to it:

http://www.funosphere.com/styled-12/styled/styled-9/page12.html

There's also a price variant thread on Archie comics - as those variants are still being produced! (or, were at least until a little while ago).

Let me now any thoughts you have on the above essay and I'll try to do a "Adventures with the three-pack" essay soon.

Interesting article. I think you'll find commentary in this thread and/or elsewhere in this forum that makes a strong case that the white logo Whitmans such as your US195 example were the direct market copies of those books.