• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman appreciation and information thread
10 10

315 posts in this topic

I've got two cool new additions to the DCW hoard!

This pack is unusual in that it includes Wonder Woman #260 which is somewhat commonly seen in a 3-pack with Wonder Woman #255, #257, #260 (#255 in middle). Not many DC Whitmans have been spotted in multiple combos! The awesome thing about this pack is that it's the first time I've ever seen a multi-pack that contains Superboy & LSH #257!

:cloud9:

whitman3-packbraveandbold156wonderwoman260B.jpg

whitman3-packaction501action496superboylsh257B.jpg

I have never seen this 2-pack before, and haven't ever seen either of these comics in any other pack combo! On top of that, these are two tough to find issues, and super tough in HG.

^^

whitman3-packaction501action496superboylsh257A.jpg

whitman3-packbraveandbold156wonderwoman260A.jpg

Just back from CGC:

null_zps8d0db2e4.jpg

:applause:

I recently purchased 3 or 4 lots in an online auction of what was advertised as a "complete set" of The Black Hole. So I was hoping that these lots contained an issue #4. Unfortunately, none of them did. :cry:

I paid very little for each lot and the other copies of 1 thru 3 were all in nice shape so I still came out OK in the end.

I was just sorting through a pile of about 30 different Whitmans.

Got an Addams Family 1 in there that looks pretty nice, a Wacky Races, Funky Phantom, bunch of ducks books, etc., etc.

And -- wave of nostalgia alert -- one of them was Hanna Barbara Fun-In with Inch High Private Eye!! I had totally forgotten about that cartoon!

Edited by mrwoogieman

Just had some great luck with a long box of odds and ends. Some great Whitman's - including one of the elusive WRC&S that has been annoying me by being HTF.

Love the super-hero scans above. Those are wonderful books.

Just had some great luck with a long box of odds and ends. Some great Whitman's - including one of the elusive WRC&S that has been annoying me by being HTF.

Out of curiosity, what does WRC&S stand for? Or, is the R supposed to be a D? In which case, nevermind.

Out of curiosity, what does WRC&S stand for? Or, is the R supposed to be a D? In which case, nevermind.

Don't tell me you've never heard of Walt Risney?!

doh!

I have learned so much since joining these boards. Not so long ago, I would have pretty much dismissed these books. I am still in the process of going through a large collection I bought. These are the Gold Key Whitman's I have found...To date...Not sure if there is anything really significant yet, but it has been great finding out about them! Sorry for the blurry pics...

P1100603_zpsee3885c4.jpg

P1100605_zps91816ba9.jpg

P1100606_zpsdba4aa0d.jpg

Off to check out the list that is posted on Page 1!

Only 2 from the TOP 42 that I found from the pics above...Hopeful to find more in the other stuff in the top 42, so frustrating, had several issues 'one issue away' from being in the Top 42...

SUPER GOOF #61

supergoof001_zps7edcdbc3.jpg

BEEP BEEP THE ROAD RUNNER #91

roadrunner001_zps7516442b.jpg

None the less: Vey nice Haul! (thumbs u

Doug has expanded the list since I first started this thread, so there are more books which have since hit the top 80-100 rarest Whitmans.

I would say that apart from the fact that the 75 cent price variants were intended for the Canadian market, they are among the rarest Whitman's I've encountered. I've owned more Black Hole 4's, Uncle Scrooge 179's and Woody Woodpecker 191's than I have the 75 cent price variants for Winnie the Pooh 33, Little Lulu 268 or WDC&S 510. High grades (9.4 or higher) are practically non-existent.

The census totals on the heavy hitters is still extremely low - 54 for Uncle Scrooge 179, which is arguably the most prized of the Whitman rares. If going by rarest, the census totals drop significantly with 11 for Black Hole 4 and 8 for Woody Woodpecker 191.