• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman appreciation and information thread
10 10

315 posts in this topic

Here are a few I found without having to search, maybe someone can tell me if any of these are rare or uncommon or any additional info one them. I will try and search out the reast of my Whitmans over the next few days.

Popeye 158 (listed as #3 on the rare list?)

Walt Disney comics and stories # 478

Woody Woodpecker 170

Uncle Scrooge 199

Uncle Scrooge 195

Can anyone give me additional info on the Popeye. How many are there, what they normally sell for?

Edited by kidcolt

Here are a few I found without having to search, maybe someone can tell me if any of these are rare or uncommon or any additional info one them. I will try and search out the reast of my Whitmans over the next few days.

Popeye 145

Popeye 158 (listed as #3 on the rare list?)

Walt Disney comics and stories # 478

Woody Woodpecker 170

Uncle Scrooge 199

Uncle Scrooge 195

Can anyone give me additional info on the Popeye. How many are there, what they normally sell for?

The link I posted will tell you which issues are rare, scarce or uncommon. :makepoint:

Anyone have this one? I can't find a listing for it in the Overstreet.

Give ya a quarter.

It might be under Walt Disney's Peter Pan or something like that? I know the Cinderella issue I bought for my daughter had a weird name like that.

Yeah, I checked all of those posibilities.

That particular issue is considered scarce. The 75 cent price variant for that same issue is considered rare.

Here's a link to Doug Sulipa's website listing those issue which are rare, scarce and uncommon:

Doug Sulipa's Whitman Comics Page

Thanks for the links. It will be helpfull. I bought a collection that has about 50 or Whitmans from the same time frame. It has most of the later (60 cent) pre pack issues, but none of the earlier rare issues.

That particular issue is considered scarce. The 75 cent price variant for that same issue is considered rare.

Here's a link to Doug Sulipa's website listing those issue which are rare, scarce and uncommon:

Doug Sulipa's Whitman Comics Page

Thanks for the links. It will be helpfull. I bought a collection that has about 50 or Whitmans from the same time frame. It has most of the later (60 cent) pre pack issues, but none of the earlier rare issues.

Some of the later 60 cent pre-pack issues are highly collectible, especially those no date/code issues.

Here are some of the rarer ones.

Folks, we now have one of the most knowledgeable Whitman collectors posting in this thread. (thumbs u (worship)

Are you coming to the show at the Mayfield Hotel this Sunday? :hi:

I concur - since the Whitman WTB post and this thread I've had several email exchanges with Bellrules1 and I'm glad to have chatted with such a knowledgeable collector! (thumbs u

Not the highest grade but its a solid issue. Staples are tight with no rust, pages are fairly white. Too bad I didn't know it was rare as it has been just thrown in with my commons since I was a kid. I just but it in a bag a board for the first time. I am surprised that it is in such good shape. Too bad the cover wasn't in a little better shape.

It actual presents a lot better in person. Seems like the light from the scanner really highlights the flaws on the cover.

popeye158new.jpg

Edited by kidcolt

Not the highest grade but its a solid issue. Staples are tight with no rust, pages are fairly white. Too bad I didn't know it was rare as it has been just thrown in with my commons since I was a kid. I just but it in a bag a board for the first time. I am surprised that it is in such good shape. Too bad the cover wasn't in a little better shape.

It actual presents a lot better in person. Seems like the light from the scanner really highlights the flaws on the cover.

popeye158new.jpg

In time, more collectors will catch on to their low availability and relative/scarcity and when that happens, low grade copies from the top 10 rarest will become highly collectible - especially because high-grade will be less available and out of reach in terms of value. I witnessed the very same thing happen with underground comix.