• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman appreciation and information thread
10 10

315 posts in this topic

I was just reading this thread and it was interesting to see a list on rare/scarce titles. I did notice that none of the "regular" (i.e. non-cartoon) books are listed as scarce or rare - which I find interesting, especially if one considers grade - there can't be many examples of high grade Whitman's in the world, can there? Case in point, this Star Trek on Comiclink:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dstar%2Btrek%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item%5F820040&id=820040

How rare is something like this? Top census (both Gold Key and Whitman copies), white pages and a whitman to boot? Just wondering if anyone else has any high-grade copies like this to show?

Tracey Heft

www.eclipsepaper.com

Wanted to revive the thread and ask a question regarding the history of the Whitman label?

When was the first Whitman label?

And when was the date range of comics that have both a Whitman label vs a Gold Key label?

Is it pretty definitive that the rare Whitmans were three pack only and sold in Canada?

What peaked my interest was the low number run of Beagle Boys versus Uncle Scrooge. At first I thought it was only a Gold Key run but there are Whitman versions. I assume there are no real rare ones but they aren't easy to find either.

This is from Doug Sulipa's Overstreet report

ALL the Gold Key Comics & Digests published from 11/1971 thru 3/1980, exist in Whitman Variant Editions, all are scarce & some are Rare, (at 150-250% of GK issue values, with horror titles the bestsellers); These are 1968 Canadian Newstand Variant cover price issues that are still selling to Completionists & Variant collectors (at 110-125% Guide);

Those versions have the black whitman logo on the upper left side in the place of the gold key logo.

As for the Whitman Prepacks, they were distributed in both the U.S and Canada. The U.S. ones were three packs while the Canadian versions usually were two.

(I base this on the fact that all the three packs I own are from the states and the Canadian ones are all twos) I'll post some scans as examples later

Hope that helps.

Edited by Bellrules1

I was just reading this thread and it was interesting to see a list on rare/scarce titles. I did notice that none of the "regular" (i.e. non-cartoon) books are listed as scarce or rare - which I find interesting, especially if one considers grade - there can't be many examples of high grade Whitman's in the world, can there? Case in point, this Star Trek on Comiclink:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dstar%2Btrek%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item%5F820040&id=820040

How rare is something like this? Top census (both Gold Key and Whitman copies), white pages and a whitman to boot? Just wondering if anyone else has any high-grade copies like this to show?

Tracey Heft

www.eclipsepaper.com

I have one nice Whitman Thor

Thor275CGC98W.jpg

I posted a bunch of raw Whitman variants of cartoon books in a Virtual ComiCon last year but there wasn't any interest. So, even though they may be considered scarce or rare, I don't know how much demand there is for them.

I found these two comics among my collection however there is no mention of these Whitman variants in OSPG.

Is anyone familiar with these two issues and if so, are these two hard to find and/or rare variants?

Thanks

Mickey Mouse #187 (1978) (35 cent cover)

img00008201010122130.jpg

Ripley's Believe It Or Not #64 (1976) (25 cent cover)

img00007201010122130.jpg

I found these two comics among my collection however there is no mention of these Whitman variants in OSPG.

Is anyone familiar with these two issues and if so, are these two hard to find and/or rare variants?

Thanks

img00008201010122130.jpg

img00007201010122130.jpg

I've run into that before too (where Overstreet doesn't list certain books as Whitmans) but it appears that neither of these books are considered rare or scarce according to Doug Sulipa's website.

Thanks

img00008201010122130.jpg

img00007201010122130.jpg

I've run into that before too (where Overstreet doesn't list certain books as Whitmans) but it appears that neither of these books are considered rare or scarce according to Doug Sulipa's website.

BTW: Doug does update the list, and often that update isn't reflected on his Website right away. I found this out recently when I discovered a small error. If you want to get the most up to date list of Whitman rares, I'd email him (thumbs u

Here are a few Whitmans I picked up recently in a huge Gold Key lot of books. There are several more where these came from....

Chip n Dale #20

chipndale20.jpg

Chip n Dale #22

chipndale22.jpg

Scamp

scamp.jpg

Shroud of Mystery #1

shroudofmystery1.jpg

Now where have I seen those books before...... :grin:

Thanks

img00008201010122130.jpg

img00007201010122130.jpg

BTW: Doug does update the list, and often that update isn't reflected on his Website right away. I found this out recently when I discovered a small error. If you want to get the most up to date list of Whitman rares, I'd email him (thumbs u

Thanks guys. I'll email him for the list.