• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman appreciation and information thread
10 10

315 posts in this topic

Here is another example of the yellow and white logo

B5byk2kKGrHgoOKjEjlLmYmWCBKtknHWCZ_.jpg

BbNBU1gBmkKGrHqEH-CMEquSITCzBKu5-d8.jpg

So, is this the same situation as March of Comics and Adventures of Big Boy, where the books were printed in multiple locations, giving rise to East Coast and West Coast versions?

Edited by silverandbronze

It seems to only occur with the later whitmans and only select issues as far as I can tell.

Just a note just by doing a search it would appear some books may only come with white logos

Edited by BrianR

It seems to only occur with the later whitmans and only select issues as far as I can tell.

So, at least from what you understand, the Whitmans with the white logo are more rare than the ones with the yellow logo? I have a little over 100 Whitmans and I could only find 2 with the white logo...a Space Family Robinson, Lost In Space #59 (last issue) and a Super Goof #67.

Thats what it seems to be at this point, IMO, I just did a search of 30 pages of whitmans on ebay I found one actual white logo variant, but I found several funny character books that seem to only have white logos.

I think somebody needs to do research on the them

Apparently, the reason behind the white and yellow logos is that some of those books were sold through comic shops (without the bags) and the yellow ones were sold in the pre-packs. I have about 25 sealed prepacks and all of them have the yellow logos. Whitman did this after they switched to direct distribution and this was their way to differentiate the comic shop vs department store versions.

I've seen this on a few of the cartoon character books as well. I quickly leafed through a small pile I'm still processing from a recent purchase and found a Tweet & Sylvester 114 - the pics below used for comparison purposes were taken from eBay (too early here and didn't want to wake anyone with the noise from scanning):

ts_114.jpg

Very cool and informative thread! I didn't realize there were so many Whitman variants.

So let me get this straight.. For each issue I have to find the Gold Key copy, the Whitman yellow logo copy, the Whitman white logo copy, and the possible Whitman price variant copy. I thought I was closing in on completing the end of my Popeye run, but thanks to this thread I realize that even if I have a copy of every issue, I'm still only about 1/3 to being complete.

:frustrated: Trying to find all the variants actually adds to the fun, though. :)

I just picked up some Whitman Popeye file copies from Metropolis this weekend. The inside splash page has some handy information about where the content of the book came from and when it was published. "22 pages + cover new .. rest from v1. no 18".. meaning that there is a GA Popeye Sagendorf story reprinted in the back. File copies.. <3 :luhv:

th_Popeye163WhitmanFCfront.jpgth_Popeye164WhitmanFCfront.jpgth_Popeye165WhitmanFCfront.jpgth_Popeye166WhitmanFCfront.jpgth_Popeye167WhitmanFCfront.jpg

WhitmanFileCopyinside.jpg

I also picked up this high-grade white logo Popeye earlier in the year. Only white logo I have so far.

Popeye166Whitmanwhitelogofront.jpg

1 to 3 are common, 4 is the only rare one in the title. Here's a scan of one still sealed in the bag.

(worship) Still in the bag! Nice!

Here's the only copy of this book I've managed to get. The story and art is pretty bad.. but who cares. :insane:

BlackHole4front.jpg

Just to clarify, the issues printed after 4/80 were only available as Whitman copies in bagged sets. All issues printed before then, could have Gold Key/Whitman variants. Nice Popeye copies BTW. As for the Price variants, they only exist for issues printed in 1/81. Those issues would be Bugs 223, Donald Duck 225, Huey 67, Lulu 262, Scrooge 182, Super Goof 63, Walt Disney Comics and Stories 484 and Pink Panther 78.

Edited by Bellrules1

Just to clarify, the issues printed after 4/80 were only available as Whitman copies in bagged sets. All issues printed before then, could have Gold Key/Whitman variants. Nice Popeye copies BTW. As for the Price variants, they only exist for issues printed in 1/81. Those issues would be Bugs 223, Donald Duck 225, Huey 67, Lulu 262, Scrooge 182, Super Goof 63, Walt Disney Comics and Stories 484 and Pink Panther 78.

Great info.. very helpful. Saves me the trouble of hunting for books that don't exist. lol