• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman appreciation and information thread
10 10

315 posts in this topic

One of the best resources to start off is an article that was printed in Comic Book Marketplace #85 and #86. Then go to Doug Sulipa's website where he breaks down which issues he estimates are the rarest.

Good advice. Doug is also a very good person to ask questions over the phone. If there are any questions which you still can't find an answer to, post it here.

I have a question regarding Whitman Black Hole #5 and #6. There is an unconfirmed rumour that issues #5 and #6 were printed but were not circulated worldwide. A European location is mentioned as a source where copies have been discovered. Has anyone here heard anything about this or seen any copies to back this rumour?

One of the best resources to start off is an article that was printed in Comic Book Marketplace #85 and #86. Then go to Doug Sulipa's website where he breaks down which issues he estimates are the rarest.

Here's one of the two issues!

scan0228.jpg

:gossip:For sale in the Marketplace, I bumped the thread...

Edited by Warlord

Been there, done that. Like I said, I had to learn all about them. These were discussed on the ebay message boards in 2000-2001. That's where I first learned of them.

(thumbs u

I am still shocked that I have 2 comics from the top 20. I always loved Battle of the planets #7 and I was pleasantly surprised to see it on the list. Back a few years ago a friend of mine listed a little lulu or lil dot on ebay. He thought it was a $7 comic and would sell it for $3-4, it ended for over $600. I don't know what happened for it to sell so high, it must have been a variant or short print book.

Edited by kidcolt

The Mile High web site is quite a useful reference source for the Gold Key/Whitman overlap period. They list the books seperately - here's an example.

Of course, while you're there you can buy them at Chuck's bargain basement prices... :insane:

Mind if I ask how much it set you back? You can PM me if you prefer.

It was part of a trade deal. We've been doing some trading back and forth and I have to say I can't recall having ever had this much fun with collecting comics. It helps that Andy is a great person to deal with too! I'm keeping an eye out for some Canadian price variants to help him complete his runs so hopefully we will be able to keep the trades going for awhile.