• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

Patrick is out!?

Amazon orders a pilot! I can't link it on my phone!

The Tick Reboot Pilot Ordered at Amazon — With All-New Cast!

Amazon has officially ordered a pilot for an update of The Tick, the cult live-action comedy from writer/producer Ben Edlund, our sister site Deadline reports.

Original star Patrick Warburton — who headlines NBC’s upcoming comedy Crowded — will not return for the project, which will resurrect his muscle-bound, antennae-sporting superhero.

The live-action Tick ran for nine episodes on Fox in 2001 and starred Nestor Carbonell (Lost) as Batmanuel, Liz Vassey (All My Children) as Captain Liberty and David Burke (Brothers & Sisters) as Arthur.

Griffin Newman (Vinyl) will play sidekick Arthur in the Amazon version, while Valorie Curry (House of Lies, The Following) will portray Arthur’s sister, Dot.

Oh boy.

:(

Love the Tick. I remember buying issue number one off the shelf. It was so funny , and number 2 didnt let me down. Wish it would have came out more often .

Wish the show would have lasted longer too .

THE TICK IS BACK!!!

http://deadline.com/2016/03/the-tick-amazon-pilot-order-comic-book-1201716558/

But Patrick Warburton won't be The Tick. Patrick Warburton, who played the title character in the Fox series. Warburton, who stars on NBC’s new comedy series Crowded, will not reprise his role but is expected to serve as an executive producer on the Amazon pilot. Casting for the lead is currently underway.

Patrick is out!?

Amazon orders a pilot! I can't link it on my phone!

THIS IS THE BEST THAT I CAN DO FOR NOW CHUM!

'THE TICK' RESURRECTED WITH AMAZON PILOT ORDER, DUO CAST IN COMIC BOOK COMEDY

BY NELLIE ANDREEVA

MARCH 10, 2016 3:01PM

EXCLUSIVE: CULT LIVE-ACTION COMEDY THE TICK IS MAKING A COMEBACK. AMAZON HAS ORDERED A PILOT FOR A NEW TAKE ON BEN EDLUND'S COMIC BOOK CHARACTER WITH AN ALL-NEW CAST. EDLUND, WHO CREATED THE 2001 LIVE-ACTION FOX COMEDY AS WELL AS THE 1994 ANIMATED SERIES, IS BACK AS WRITER AND EXECUTIVE PRODUCER AS IS FELLOW ORIGINAL EXEC PRODUCER BARRY JOSEPHSON. GRIFFIN NEWMAN (VINYL) IS SET TO PLAY ARTHUR EVEREST, AND VALORIE CURRY (HOUSE OF LIES, THE FOLLOWING) HAS BEEN CAST AS HIS SISTER DOT EVEREST IN THE PILOT, I HAVE LEARNED. TRANSCENDENCE HELMER WALLY PFISTER IS IN NEGOTIATIONS TO DIRECT. SONY PICTURES TV, THE STUDIO BEHIND THE 2001 SERIES, IS PRODUCING.

THE REVIVAL HAS BEEN IN THE WORKS FOR A WHILE - IN THE SUMMER OF 2014, EDLUND CONFIRMED THAT THERE WAS AN EFFORT TO BRING THE SHOW BACK WHEN RUMORS SURFACED ABOUT A POSSIBLE NEW TICK SERIES AT AMAZON WITH EDLUND RETURNING ALONGSIDE PATRICK WARBURTON, WHO PLAYED THE TITLE CHARACTER IN THE FOX SERIES. WARBURTON, WHO STARS ON NBC'S NEW COMEDY SERIES CROWDED, WILL NOT REPRISE HIS ROLE BUT IS EXPECTED TO SERVE AS AN EXECUTIVE PRODUCER ON THE AMAZON PILOT. CASTING FOR THE LEAD IS CURRENTLY UNDERWAY.

THE REBOOT WILL BRING BACK THE EPONYMOUS MUSCLE-BOUND, ANTENNAE-SPORTING SUPERHERO, ALONG WITH HIS SIDEKICK ARTHUR (NEWMAN), SURROUNDED BY A NEW HOST OF CHARACTERS. (THE FOX SERIES CO-STARRED LIZ VASSEY AS CAPTAIN LIBERTY AND NESTOR CARBONELL AS BATMANUEL.)

IN THE NEW INCARNATION, THE BLUE SUIT-WEARING TICK IS RECOVERING FROM A MEMORY LOSS. HE ENDS UP RE-TEAMING WITH ARTHUR TO FIGHT EVIL. NEWMAN'S ARTHUR, PLAYED IN THE FOX SERIES BY DAVID BURKE, HAD BEEN LABELED AS A SCHIZOPHRENIC BECAUSE OF HIS STATEMENTS THAT EVIL PLANS TO RULE THE CITY, AND NO ONE BELIEVES HIM UNTIL HE RUNS INTO TICK. CURRY'S DOT EVEREST IS A NURSE WHO LOVES HER BROTHER ARTHUR TO DEATH AND WORRIES ABOUT HIM.

WHILE THE TICK ONLY LASTED FOR 9 EPISODES ON FOX, IT WAS WELL RECEIVED BY CRITICS AND QUICKLY ACHIEVED CULT STATUS. FIFTEEN YEARS LATER, IT IS STILL BELOVED BY FANS.

PFISTER, DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY FOR THE DARK KNIGHT FILM SERIES, RECENTLY DIRECTED MULTIPLE EPISODES OF THE NETFLIX COMEDY SERIES FLAKED, STARRING WILL ARNETT, INCLUDING THE OPENING EPISODE.

EDLUND MOST RECENTLY SERVED AS CO-EXECUTIVE PRODUCER ON THE FIRST SEASON OF FOX'S DC COMICS DRAMA SERIES GOTHAM.HE PREVIOUSLY DID STINTS ON NBC'S REVOLUTION, FOX'S FIREFLYAS WELL AS ANGEL AND SUPERNATURAL.

CURRY KNOWS A THING OR TWO ABOUT CULT SHOWS - HER FIRST ACTING GIG WAS A RECURRING ROLE ON VERONICA MARS. SHE IS REPPED BY ICM PARTNERS AND THRULINE.

2w7q2xj.jpg

Does anyone else have that feeling like when you're at a concert at the very last song...and then cheering for the encore...clapping...whistling....stomping...yelling...and finally...

SPOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Check out

for some dialog of the upcoming Pilot for

The Tick!

I loved Patrick as Tick, but I am okay that he will not be returning. Especially if it means the show will still be made! Personally I feel he is the reason the previous live action series is such a cult classic. With the exception of Batmanuel, I felt the rest of the supporting cast could have been cast better, especially Arthur.

I'm excited about the two actors that have been announced already. I already feel they are upping the ante of the cast and appear to be going younger and fresher. With that in mind I'm not sure Patrick would have meshed well with a younger cast. Patrick has a very strong personality in many of his roles. Someone who does not have as strong a personality may wind up being the perfect balance.

Amazon has been producing some extremely good original shows. I have no doubt this will be anything less than spectacular! :whee:

I'm looking to read the ENTIRETY of The Tick. Does anyone know if there are any stories that haven't been collected in TPBs yet? Ready to just purchase all the remaining NEC Press "Complete Works" books I don't already have, but want to know if there are still any single issues I'll need to pick up.

It looks like Partrick Warburton being left out was his choice due to a comedy he is already dedicated to. Amazon probably took too long to commit.

‘The Tick’ Gets Revived at Amazon, But There’s a Catch

In 2014, the word was that Amazon planned to resurrect The Tick with Edlund writing and producing (as he did on the original live-action show) and Warburton once again playing the Tick. The part involving Edlund is still true, and in fact he’ll be joined by executive producer Barry Josephson, who also worked on the earlier The Tick series. But Warburton is now tied up with his NBC comedy Crowded, and so his role will be recast. He will, however, serve as an executive producer on the Amazon pilot.

The Tick revival will still center on the Tick and Arthur, but surround them with a new set of characters. Here’s how Deadline describes the premise of the new series:

'In the new incarnation, the blue suit-wearing Tick is recovering from a memory loss. He ends up re-teaming with Arthur to fight evil. Newman’s Arthur, played in the Fox series by David Burke, had been labeled as a schizophrenic because of his statements that evil plans to rule the city, and no one believes him until he runs into Tick. Curry’s Dot Everest is a nurse who loves her brother Arthur to death and worries about him.'

I hope they can find someone just as funny, but also just as large to make the character that imposing yet goofy.