• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

lol

Okay. Now you are stretching it to keep a great thread going.

:baiting:

:foryou:

But I do like the factoid.

:whee:

But of course! They're shooting the movie this week (I think! ...therefore I am...) so its getting closer and closer! Woohoo! I wonder how long the edit will take?

Here's one done by a good friend of mine. May I introduce you to Mr. Eli Stone!

2n1gyl0.jpg

The Tick Big Blue Destiny #5 - The Chrysalis Crisis! Original artwork by Eli Stone

The Tick Big Blue Destiny #5 - The Chrysalis Crisis! Original artwork by Eli Stone (www.eli5stone.com) Page 19. Tick: Big Blue Destiny #5 - The Chrysalis Crisis! released by New England Comics on July 1, 1998 With the aid of Arthur's costume Dr. Bowlingame has transformed himself into a hideous mothlike creature! Can The Tick and Arthur stop this monster and get back Arthur's suit back? Art by Eli Stone plus a backup story to boot! This is the final comic in the Big Blue Destiny series, however, I did find reference to a Big Blue Destiny No. 6 on the inside cover, hmmm. Concept: Ben Edlund; Writer: Eli Stone; Artist: Eli Stone Penciller: Eli Stone; and Inker: Eli Stone. Backup Story: Marc Silva; Backup Story: Gabe Crate; Backup Story: Tak Toyoshima; Publisher: George Suarez; Art Director: Bob Polio; Systems: Dave Snyder

I won this Tick watch on eBay to match this comic book. Thought it would look pretty cool if I had it mounted. Still on the fence about it. What do you think?

ne4y0.jpg

e6swg2.jpg

THE TICK THE NAKED CITY TRADE PAPERBACK BOOK - JANUARY 1, 1998

The TICK: The Naked City Graphic Novel The FIRST FULL-COLOR Tick trade paperback! This 176-page square-bound trade reprints the first six issues of The original Tick series by Ben Edlund... but this time it's in COLOR!. These are color renditions of the same issue numbers (1-6) of The Tick series. The Naked City is for fans who like their comics in color! SECOND PRINTING published by New England Comics Press, The 1st Printing was by Marlowe & Company 841 Broadway, Fourth Floor, New York, NY 10003. June 1, 1996. ISBN: 1-56924-828-1. 1/2" Thick x 7-1/4" Wide x 10-1/4" Tall. Approx. 11.2 oz.

1998 THE TICK "IT'S JUSTICE TIME" WRIST WATCH AN OFFICIAL ISSUE OF NEW ENGLAND COMICS PRESS.

THE TICK WRIST WATCH CERTIFIABLY WICKED KEEN! AUTHORIZED SIGNATURE OF THE MOAV QUAHOG GENERAL BOB POLIO. SERIAL NUMBER TS-0005. TM AND C 1998 FOX CHILDREN'S NETWORK, INC. AND 1995 BEN EDLUND. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. "THIS TIME SURE DOES FLY!!". SERIALLY NUMBERED PRODUCTION LIMITED. MAKE TIME FOR JUSTICE THE TICK WAY WITH THE FIRST-EVER OFFICIAL TICK WRIST WATCH. "CLASSIC-QUARTZ" ROUND-DIAL WATCH WITH 18K GOLD PLATED CASE. QUARTZ WORKS, AND STAINLESS STEEL BACK COVER. QUALITY LEATHER BAND! THE FACE IS A FULL-DIAL COLOR TICK IMAGE AND IS "NUMERAL-FREE" WHICH MEANS YOU GET AS MUCH TICK AS POSSIBLE! EACH WATCH IS SERIALLY NUMBERED AND COMES IN A COLLECTORS BOX. INCLUDES A FOUR COLOR, SIGNED CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY. PRODUCTION IS LIMITED; NO MORE WILL EVER BE MADE OF THIS STYLE! ORIGINAL PRICE: $25.95. I BOUGHT THIS ONE OFF OF EBAY FOR CONSIDERABLY MORE.

New England Comics came up with a line of vinyl characters that I thought were ahead of its time.

1qk54z.jpg

The Tick Vinyl Big Brother with suction cup

Vinyl Tick Doll. Squeezably soft Tick doll with suction cup connected to head. Sticks on any window or smooth surface. The Little Tick doll is 11.25" tall and the Big Tick doll is or Jumbo size doll is 14" tall. It has "The Tick" stamped on the rear right shoulder on each.

Here's a six pack of The Tick. Neat thing is, each of the expressions on The Tick are quite unique, which I think is pretty cool.

10rsiu0.jpg

Lot of 6 The Tick Action Figures from Bandai 6" Tall from 1995-1996. The Tick Brady Bunch...can you tell which are which?

I'm thinking about bidding on the following item. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-The-Tick-Pinback-Button-Lapel-Jacket-Vest-Pin-New-England-Comic-Book-/231940592523?. Kinda pricey for what it is but if you're a collector and have just a touch of monk's OC tendencies, you know what it's like to want to complete a collection. What do you think?

I'm thinking about bidding on the following item. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-The-Tick-Pinback-Button-Lapel-Jacket-Vest-Pin-New-England-Comic-Book-/231940592523?. Kinda pricey for what it is but if you're a collector and have just a touch of monk's OC tendencies, you know what it's like to want to complete a collection. What do you think?

Did you get it? :wishluck:

I went to go check it out and it was already sold. I hope you got it!

I wrote to the seller and inquired about the origin of this item and after a couple of emails. I offered a price that I thought was reasonable and the seller agreed. How cool is that!

Well, got another one from Billy Devine and something about just holding these is pretty cool. Thinking about what was going on in Ben Edlund's mind as he had to sit and autograph over 4,000 of these cards!

2mpa4qu.jpg

1992 of 4000: The Moose 1992!

690 of 4000 Pens screwed up.

1189 of 4000: Standard Ben Edlund autographed card

200 of 4000: Ben Edlund, Ben Edlund, Ben Edlund.

This is the CHECKLIST CARD (color card A) for the TEST CARD SET's of 4,000 sets. This card is personally autographed by Ben Edlund and has a gold foil-stamped Tick symbol on the lower left. There are Two Variants of this card. Red or Yellow Tick Logo. This card came in the complete card set encased in a plastic deck card container with the seal label stating "The Tick Set. #'s of 4000." This deck of cards comes directly from Bill Devine Editor of New England Comics himself! Bill is credited for The Tick Karma Tornado, Man-Eating Cow, and Paul the Samurai. I asked him if he could share anything about this item and this is what he said. "I worked on a number of early newsletters and NEC catalogs as an independent contractor when I had a graphic design and printing business, I designed the cover logo and handled the printing of the early newsletters. I was tasked with putting together all 4000 card sets, collating the cards, packing them in the boxes and applying all the numbered stickers. It took Ben quite a while to sign all the cards and took me a lot longer to put them all together, never want to do that again. Glad to hear that the package arrived in good order and that you are pleased with them. Thanks for your interest, best regards, Bill."

I'm sure we all appreciate all the hard work that went into these many moons ago (...last night was the Super Blood Moon...if anyone had a chance to see it!). Ben Edlund personally signed each full color top card with a gold ink Sharpie, this one gave him some trouble and was double signed with the comment "PEN IS SCREWY" added. Only a handful of these had anything extra with the autograph. Thanks again Bill for holding onto this for such a long time, it's a welcome addition to this Tick Museum! You can find other items from Bill on Ebay under American-Record.

PAIR OF THE TICK POG SLAMMER KINIS 1995 IN CLEAR PLASTIC DISPLAY CASES

29ekw14.jpg

PAIR OF THE TICK POG SLAMMER KINIS 1995, THE TICK POG KINIS OR SLAMMERS CAME ONE PER PACKET OF 7 ASSORTED POGS IN THE TICK POG MILKCAP PACKS AND ARE AVAILABLE IN A RANGE OF DIFFERENT COLORS. THESE ARE A PAIR OF THE HOLOGRAPHIC CHROME SLAMMERS ALONG WITH THEIR RESPECTIVE POG COUNTER PARTS NO. 8 AND NO. 12. THESE ARE THE AUTHENTIC OFFICIAL LICENSED PRODUCT OF THE WORLD POG FEDERATION. THESE POGS ARE BASED ON THE TICK ANIMATED SERIES, WHICH WAS SHOWN ON THE FOX KIDS TV CHANNEL FROM 1994-1996.

Edited by vsndesigns

THE TICK MILKCAP PACK 1995

b6aa78.jpg

These came with 4 pogs and 1 official WPF Kini and 1 checklist/rules Play card. Printed in the U.S.A. Costa Mesa, CA UPC #788293125531. These were sometimes referred to as wax packs or cello packs, but this one was made more of a reflective aluminum wrap referred to as Foil Wrap. Often times these came in a display box of 48 Packs (Item #1-1031 Foil Pack).

I'm currently bidding on The Tick Complete Animated Series (Three Seasons) Region 2 DVD Box set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Tick-Complete-Animated-Series-Three-Seasons-Region-2-DVD-Rare-Set-/162071629991?

Auction ends on May 22, 2016 5pm Pac time. I know its just a 3 dvd box set but...A. I don't have it. B. It's all 36 episodes as released in the United Kingdom. Yup, it's region 2 so I probably won't even be able to play it but...so far according to Bill Barker..The price is still right at under 30 bucks...I think it lists at 89 euros, which always means more money.

My Tick Books From Left To Right: 1). The Tick: the Complete Edlund NEW EDITION! Paperback - 2011 2). The Tick Mighty Blue Justice! 1997 3). The Tick Funhouse A World of Pain(T) 1997 4). The Tick: Six Action-packed Adventures 1994

2vaji9v.jpg

My Tick Books From Left To Right: 1). The Tick: the Complete Edlund NEW EDITION! Paperback - January 1, 2011: NEW ENGLAND COMICS (W/A) Ben Edlund (W) Benito Cereno (A) Les McClaine New Edition! New Story! Now includes an awesome brand-new 8-page story from current Tick All-Star creators Benito Cereno & Les McClaine! An all-new untold story which answers previously never-answered questions about mysterious events which befell The Tick in the original Edlund storyline! The Tick: The Complete Edlund New Edition collects all 12 issues of the classic Tick series written and drawn by creator Ben Edlund, along with commentary from Edlund, the first Tick story (originally published in the NEC Newsletter), rarely seen back-up stories, pin-ups, and a bonus Pseudo Tick #13 which provides a possible conclusion to Edlund's original storyline. 424 pages $35.99 2). The Tick Mighty Blue Justice! Paperback - May 1, 1997: He's blue! He fights crime! He's a cartoon! Now in his third successful season on Fox Kids Network and Comedy Central, the big blue crimefighter has boldly leapt his way into the collective consciousness of fans across America. This first "biography" of the well-meaning superhero lets fans in on what makes the Tick, well, tick. I love The Tick. The Tick is keen, which is why this book is so neccesary for anyone who fancies themselves a fan of The Tick.

Starting out as a comic book (which it still is) The Tick was then turned into a television show on the famed Fox kids network. Unfortunately, the genius behind the Tick was apparantly big on procrastination, never having episodes ready on time. This prompted the cancallation of the program, but I'll always still love it. Even 5 years later, it remains one of my favourite shows of all time. There was so much humour that I never got when I was little. But now, I pick up on the jokes that I never understood when I was a child of the tender age of 9.

Anyways, this book collects the plot of 34 of the 36 shows released before it's cancellation, a guide to becoming a superhero, info on finding a sidekick, the Tick's origin, interviews, and even "Arthurs Section Of Scientific Facts So That This Book Can Legitimately Be Read In School." There is a guide to other superheroes, supervilians (including the Man Eating Cow who just so happens to look like and act like a normal cow), and the list of questions and answers that were often read and replied to at the end of the shows.

This book left me in stitches laughing the first time I read it, and even now it remains one of the funniest books I've ever read. It's not conventional humor, but it remains oh so funny. If you like The Tick and wondered why it was taken off the air, and if you can't get enough of anything Tick, then you need to get this book. This is probably the only book I can read that remains as funny the third and fourth time through as it is the first time... Midnight Bomber Sez: So he says, "You wanna' be a bad guy?" and I says, I says "Yeah baby! Surf's up Space Ponies! I'm making gravy without the lumps! AAAHHHHHAAHHHH!" 3). The Tick Funhouse A World of Pain(T) Paperback - July 1,1997: The Tick and Arthur get slimed by the Green Gob in the lead story, while Life with Louie and Bobby's World appear in their own back-up features. 4). The Tick: Six Action-packed Adventures Paperback book September 1, 1994: A seven-foot-tall, four-hundred-pound escaped mental patient-turned-superhero begins a zany adventure against the forces of evil--or so he thinks--as he crashes around the city, defeating the bad guys in unexpected ways. TV tie-in. Tick finds his destiny --

Tick vs. the Breadmaster --

Tick vs. Chairface Chippendale --

Tick vs. Dinosaur Neil --

tick vs. El Seed --

Tick vs. Mr. Mental.

The Tick No. 1 Smash First Issue (1st Edition June 1988)

Front Cover

29zeqvq.jpg

Back Cover

2vttqn4.jpg

The Tick was a comic book series created by Ben Edlund in 1988 and originally published in black-and-white by the New England Comics store in Boston, Massachusetts. The series provided modest beginnings for its title character, who would later feature in his own television programs and merchandise. The final plot in the comic was never concluded as Mr Edlund left New England Comics to work on the animated series. He has made it clear he never intends to produce the final, 13th issue. Issue 1[edit]

Special edition, stamped with a serial number from 1 to 5000, released March 1988. First edition released June 1988.

Ben Edlund, Writer & Artist; Bob Polio, Art Director; George Suarez, Editor & Publisher.

The Tick is in a padded room, confined by a straitjacket. He is bored and decides he will "leave this place." He ends up in the city on patrol against crime. During his patrol he accidentally encounters a group of ninjas interrogating Shing. The Tick, not realizing that he has encountered a crime in progress, leaves to fight crime, with ninjas, hotly, but artlessly, in pursuit. The Tick ends up in a coffee shop demonstrating to a citizen that he is a Tick by demonstrating his sucking ability through a straw. After losing consciousness, the Tick awakes in a subway tunnel, not realizing where he is. Clark Oppenheimer on a nearby train platform sees the Tick in the tunnel and springs into action to save the doomed citizen. The Tick resists being saved, thinking he is in the belly of a whale and Clark an enlarged enzyme, resulting in the two of them being struck by a train. After being disgorged from the tunnel, somewhat worse for wear, Clark runs off to his job at a local newspaper.

Clark Oppenheimer is a subtle but noticeable parody of Superman.

The full story of the Tick's escape from the asylum is revealed in The Tick: Luny Bin series.

The first panel of page 17 is a recreation of the Edward Hopper painting, Nighthawks. This painting appears many times in Tick comics and in the animated series.

Second edition released March 1989 with four extra pages of the Tick. Appearances from the NEC Newsletter. Third edition released Jun 1989. Fourth edition released December 1989. Fifth edition released April 1991. Sixth edition released January 1995. Seventh edition released April 1996. A Special Edition Reprise, with the same cover as the Special Edition with a second cover wrap and serially numbered 5001-14000, released April 1996. Eighth, 10th anniversary edition, released August 1996. Ninth edition, released March 1998.

The Tick Comic Book No. 2 Blazing Issue Two (1st Edition September 1988)

Front Cover

xgfnm.jpg

Back Cover

2mwgqpg.jpg

Issue 2

"High Rise Hijinx"

Special edition, die-cut cover, stamped with a serial number from 1 to 3000, released June 1988. First edition released September 1988.

Ben Edlund, Writer & Penciller; Max Banks, Inker; Bob Polio, Art Director; George Suarez, Editor & Publisher.

Clark Oppenheimer reports, late, for his job at the newspaper. Meanwhile the Tick dons a tie and purse as a secret identity, Mr. Nedd. The Tick obtains a job as a crossword editor at the Weekly World Planet. While snooping in Clark's desk, he inadvertently reveals a message from Clark's father and builds his "fortress of fortitude." Clark takes the Tick aside and explains that he is the protector of the City, which the Tick disputes. The Tick is fired from the newspaper. On his way out, he leaves a gift for Clark by molding his car into an oversized ashtray. Clark, understandably upset by this development, attacks the Tick who defeats Clark by breaking his disguise (his glasses).

The parallels between Clark Oppenheimer and Superman continue, when the Tick inadvertently unleashes a message from Clark's father, Ban-Al, and identifies him as Marlon Brando, who played Jor-El in the 1978 Superman movie.

The 1st edition of The Tick 2 was released with a die-cut cover: a small square window revealing the Tick from the first page. A mistake in the production resulted in a rare number of issues (less than 200) without the diecut being released.

Second edition released March 1989. Third edition released June 1989. Fourth edition released December 1989. Fifth edition released July 1991. Sixth edition released January 1995. Special Edition Reprise with same cover as the Special Edition with a second wrap cover and serially numbered 3001-8000, July 1996. Seventh, 10th anniversary edition, released August 1996. Eighth edition released March 1998.