• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting things other then comics.

891 posts in this topic

Purchased this recently. The last letter Lee Harvey Oswald sent to his mother as he was defecting to the Soviet Union in 1959.

LHO-Letter.jpg

Oh my freakin GOD! Sir I collect autographs as well,and that is as rare as you can get.A letter of one of the most infamous people in American History,and to his mother no less.WOW (worship)

THAT is impressive. I just finished reading "Jack the Ripper, Case Closed" by Patricia Cornwell and she purchased one of the 250 letters purported to be written by Jack the Ripper while he was taunting Scotland Yard. She said it was $1500 and I thought that sounded cheap for something like that. Anybody got any ballpark figures for other stuff like that. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Here is something one rarely sees. These are medals given to the Carpathia crew for having rescued the Titanic's survivors. The Captain and his primary officers received gold medals. I believe there were less than six made. The lower ranking officers received silver, and about 12 were issued. And then the remaining crew members received bronze medals. That number was about 300 as I recall, but it might have been around 200 or in between.

In any event, these almost never come up for auction. Most still remain in the original families or have probably been lost over the years. I have two bronze and one silver medal. These are obviously the back side. I need to scan in the front. The medal on the bottom is a modern reproduction. I used this image to counter an ebay fraudster who tried to sell me a repro as an original. Very scary business as some of the reproductions really look original.

Carpathia-Medals.jpg

Here is something one rarely sees. These are medals given to the Carpathia crew for having rescued the Titanic's survivors. The Captain and his primary officers received gold medals. I believe there were less than six made. The lower ranking officers received silver, and about 12 were issued. And then the remaining crew members received bronze medals. That number was about 300 as I recall, but it might have been around 200 or in between.

In any event, these almost never come up for auction. Most still remain in the original families or have probably been lost over the years. I have two bronze and one silver medal. These are obviously the back side. I need to scan in the front. The medal on the bottom is a modern reproduction. I used this image to counter an ebay fraudster who tried to sell me a repro as an original. Very scary business as some of the reproductions really look original.

Carpathia-Medals.jpg

I am in awe,speechless :o

Here is an interesting grouping of items related to Charles Guiteau, the assassin of President James Garfield in 1881. Mr. Guiteau was a lawyer!

Included is a letter on his law firm stationary, a CDV created after the assassination and a pass to the trial. Really rare items.

Guiteau.jpg

Thanks for sharing Esq.! Is the picture of Guiteau a cabinet card? That is so interesting.

I just love looking at stuff like that. My husband and I buy box lots of old ephemera at auction and sometimes we get some really old papers and letters but never anything astounding except the George Reeves (The entire box lot we got that in was only $7) I have tons of maps and train schedules old menus. Lots of old travel brochures "Visit scenic Death Valley" sort of thing. Old car manuals and brochures..man I collect to much stuff lol

I just end up with too many old papers and the only place they seem to sell is the swap meet.

Heroclixs !!

PenanceandThor.jpgVenomandThorHeroclixs.jpgFireDemon.jpg;

This brings up an interesting point. I had none of these until a "Convention" a couple of year's back where I was given a few figures.

I liked the look of them, the detailing and especially the size (small) and I could hear my inner OCD saying "These are neat! These are cheap! Couldn't be hard to complete a collection!"

That's when rational me took over and asked what the set-up was with boxes of this and cases of that and such and whilst I still have the few figures I was given I have successfully suppressed the desire to get any more.

Anybody else actually had to say "no, I am not collecting those", simply because you know the strain it would put on "other areas of the household"?

Got boxes and boxes and boxes of these. Also have the Galactus! I did play the game but it got a little to $$$ for my liking so I stopped. Now I'm left with the boxes collecting dust....

Was collecting Kenner Starting Lineups, but the grading company AFA's standards make CGC look like loosey goosey. And the current crop of "collectors" on slu.net really have no desire to sustain the hobby -much less expand it- via new collectors or maintaining a current price guide. They like their small knitting-circle boys club. Too bad.

Rick

93422.jpg.75cf5180d32b55ea8f79772dc066b71b.jpg

93423.jpg.982213913f2b67765e98d7d33be8e195.jpg

93424.jpg.49122725e391fbcd1fce7945c1ce4ee1.jpg

93425.jpg.f134cedd77ba33b2b7c4ec26329163f7.jpg

lol my husband and I bought a Sports figures business and had hundreds of starting line ups. We took them to the flea market last season and sold them all except for a few boxes we didn't see in the storage unit.

They lasted less than two hours in our booth one guy bought them all..

Heroclixs !!

PenanceandThor.jpgVenomandThorHeroclixs.jpgFireDemon.jpg;

This brings up an interesting point. I had none of these until a "Convention" a couple of year's back where I was given a few figures.

I liked the look of them, the detailing and especially the size (small) and I could hear my inner OCD saying "These are neat! These are cheap! Couldn't be hard to complete a collection!"

That's when rational me took over and asked what the set-up was with boxes of this and cases of that and such and whilst I still have the few figures I was given I have successfully suppressed the desire to get any more.

Anybody else actually had to say "no, I am not collecting those", simply because you know the strain it would put on "other areas of the household"?

Got boxes and boxes and boxes of these. Also have the Galactus! I did play the game but it got a little to $$$ for my liking so I stopped. Now I'm left with the boxes collecting dust....

Display the ones you like (thumbs u and mail the rest to me :idea: without the dust of course! :whee:

Mainly internal corporate commemorative stuff exclusive to employees and crew specific items not made available to passengers. Also some limited special issued items from various celebratory voyages and ship inaugurals. Nothing that comes close to your RMS Carpathia medals. I've sailed directly over the Titanic wreck site numerous times but that's about it for me personally.

The only museum piece I have is the last Cunard House Flag to circumnavigate the world flying from the mast of the Queen Elizabeth 2. I also had the opportunity of returning the flag to the John Brown Shipyard on the exact spot 40 years to the day when the QE2 was launched by the Queen of England. Here's a photo of the House Flag at the Clydebank slipway where the Aquitania, Queen Mary and original Queen Elizabeth were also launched from into the River Clyde. Also a pic of me with the grande dame in the shipyards during one of her refits in 2004.

67c24454.jpg

0c0fc094.jpg

I use to work with the firetruckers at Cunard until we had a falling out two years ago, since then my butt's so frosted I've been selling off everything with any reference to Cunard on Ebay. If you're interested in anything Mark, feel free to PM me for details on the remaining items in my collection.

Heroclixs !!

Collecting the heroclix are reminiscent of the “hunt” that I would do when I was a kid. They come in an unmarked box so you do get doubles but also have the chance of finding that super rare figure going for $50 or more on Ebay etc. I liken it to when I use to buy the rolls of coins at the bank looking for wheats (pennies with wheat on the reverse), Indian heads, buffalo nickels, mercury dimes, etc. or pre-1964 quarters and dimes (silver). The internet has taken some of the “hunt” out of collecting so this is a way to relive the glory days of collecting!! Besides they are cheaper than Bowen’s statues and look kewl!!

Heroclixdisplay1.jpg

Heroclixdisplay4-1.jpgHeroclixdisplay3.jpg

I used to collect books on random knowledge and trivia...stuff like road engineering, musical history and religion. Most of that stuff has either been destroyed in one of two basement floods or simply lost since my separation years ago.

I also collect stuff like movie stubs, boarding passes, con passes and receipts from places Louise and I have visited since we've been together over the years. I'm planning on scrap booking everything one day.

Finally I've started to collect paper artifacts now like letters from creators whose comics I collect:

th_Eisnerletter.jpg

th_Siegel1.jpg

th_AlexSchomburgletter1.jpg th_AlexSchomburgletter2.jpg

th_CCBeck1.jpg th_CCBeck2.jpg th_CCBeck3.jpg th_CCBeck4.jpg