• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SNE to flood eBay with 13,000 slabs?

490 posts in this topic

Showcase,

What day are the auctions starting?

If you have any Deadpool or GI Joe books in there... or even Marvel 2099 titles... you have my money!

Some of us enjoy collecting the books from our youth (thumbs u

Well, that depends on the price, doesn't it? I mean, if they're all $100, you won't, right? ;)

Don't most of us enjoy collecting the books from our youth (even those of us who didn't buy them as youths)...?

Fixed price format......most are 45 to $50. The average is $65 with some books being more.

Dan.... please note the question in bold lettering. :grin:

The Friday Before Thanksgiving......There are mutiples of many of the books.....so there won't be 13,000 individual listings.

Thanks. (thumbs u

I don't want to read all these pages so all I have to say is I like to buy some 80's and 90's books such as spidey,batman and a few others as long as I get them for cheap. I was born in 1980 so those late 80's/early nineties books are from my youth.

I already have them all raw but I enjoy picking up the occasional CGC slab on the cheap.

I do agree though almost everything post 1980 is so easy to find in high grade. Lots more people were collecting around the early 90's and investing lol in 90's books. You can easily find ex-collectors around that have loads of this stuff for cheap.

I dumped runs of Spider-man,Ghostrider etc from the 90's for 10cents a book after picking them up for 5cents. All NM lol

fixed price format? and $45-$60 each as a baseline?

okay...

i suspect you'll have quite a bit of relisting fees to deal with

Showcase,

If you have any Deadpool or GI Joe books in there... or even Marvel 2099 titles... you have my money!

Well, that depends on the price, doesn't it? I mean, if they're all $100, you won't, right? ;)

Don't most of us enjoy collecting the books from our youth (even those of us who didn't buy them as youths)...?

Fixed price format......most are 45 to $50. The average is $65 with some books being more.

The Friday Before Thanksgiving......There are mutiples of many of the books.....so there won't be 13,000 individual listings.

Thanksgiving in the US or Canada?? :ohnoez:

]If I remember correctly...Marvel printed some 50 million books in the 60's.....so if the majority of them weren't destroyed...where are they?[/b]

And as the 70's and 80's go....in the early 90's we couldn't sell the tens of thousands (perhaps hundreds of thousands in total) to any one. In the early 90's we had 13 comic book stores within a 10 mile radius. I couldn't give them away, even to them

They all ended up in the dump.

No one denies that in the 1960s many people read comics and threw them away, lined bird cages with them, used them as coffee coasters and so on. Your point was that dealers in the 1970s saw only books from the 1940s and 1950s as having value and threw away books from the 1960s. Not to be argumentative, but that is simply untrue. As someone who bought and sold comics in the 1970s, read the adzines of the day, and attended conventions, I can tell you that exactly zero dealers had this opinion. Every dealer knew that 1960s books were valuable. For most dealers in the 1970s, 1960s Marvels were the bread and butter of their business (this was not true of every dealer, of course, because there were dealers who specialized in Golden Age books). Granted, nobody anticipated the huge run up in prices that was to come, but that is a different story.

You're not seriously suggesting that NO dealer in the 1970's...especially the early 1970's...never threw away books that were, at the time, more costly to store and lug around than to sell, are you?

As Namisgr said, "grade" was a young and undeveloped concept, but anyone can tell the value of a rag that is falling to pieces because it's been read so much...and happens to be Superboy #148.

Again...no one is suggesting that anyone threw anything but the rattiest copies of Spidey, FF, Avengers, et al, but Lois Lane #77? A book they MIGHT be able to sell for 1-2 cents at most? (and even in 1970's dollars, 1-2 cents is squat.)

Apparently, you missed the post that started this off. ShowcaseNE argued that dealers in the 1970s dealt only in 1940s and 1950s books and threw out the 1960s books. Here is the quote: "The dealers in the 70"s started selling what was previously thought to be junk in the 40's and 50's, but still threw out the books from the 60"s because no one thought they would ever be worth anything." My point was that most dealers in the 1970s dealt in 1960s books -- it was their bread and butter; they were not throwing them out. Now, of course, ratty copies of common books picked up when buying collections may have been sent to the Goodwill. But the idea that dealers in the 1970s "threw out the books from the 60's because no one thought they would be worth anything" is preposterous.

Look, I don't want to keep beating this guy up over this. Pretty clearly he didn't live through the 1970s and didn't know what was happening during those days. Now he does. (By the way, I had pretty good runs of Superboy and Jimmy Olsen, although even I drew the line at Lois Lane. ;) )

]If I remember correctly...Marvel printed some 50 million books in the 60's.....so if the majority of them weren't destroyed...where are they?[/b]

And as the 70's and 80's go....in the early 90's we couldn't sell the tens of thousands (perhaps hundreds of thousands in total) to any one. In the early 90's we had 13 comic book stores within a 10 mile radius. I couldn't give them away, even to them

No one denies that in the 1960s many people read comics and threw them away, lined bird cages with them, used them as coffee coasters and so on. Your point was that dealers in the 1970s saw only books from the 1940s and 1950s as having value and threw away books from the 1960s. Not to be argumentative, but that is simply untrue. As someone who bought and sold comics in the 1970s, read the adzines of the day, and attended conventions, I can tell you that exactly zero dealers had this opinion. Every dealer knew that 1960s books were valuable. For most dealers in the 1970s, 1960s Marvels were the bread and butter of their business (this was not true of every dealer, of course, because there were dealers who specialized in Golden Age books). Granted, nobody anticipated the huge run up in prices that was to come, but that is a different story.

You're not seriously suggesting that NO dealer in the 1970's...especially the early 1970's...never threw away books that were, at the time, more costly to store and lug around than to sell, are you?

As Namisgr said, "grade" was a young and undeveloped concept, but anyone can tell the value of a rag that is falling to pieces because it's been read so much...and happens to be Superboy #148.

Again...no one is suggesting that anyone threw anything but the rattiest copies of Spidey, FF, Avengers, et al, but Lois Lane #77? A book they MIGHT be able to sell for 1-2 cents at most? (and even in 1970's dollars, 1-2 cents is squat.)

Apparently, you missed the post that started this off.

Hey, can we avoid this kind of comment? It does nothing to advance the discussion, and serves only to annoy.

You can safely assume that I've read and comprehended (to the best of my ability) EVERYTHING in a thread that I respond to, and I will assume the same for you. You're a smart guy, I'm a smart guy, so let's give each other credit, huh?

Fair enough?

ShowcaseNE argued that dealers in the 1970s dealt only in 1940s and 1950s books and threw out the 1960s books. Here is the quote: "The dealers in the 70"s started selling what was previously thought to be junk in the 40's and 50's, but still threw out the books from the 60"s because no one thought they would ever be worth anything." My point was that most dealers in the 1970s dealt in 1960s books -- it was their bread and butter; they were not throwing them out. Now, of course, ratty copies of common books picked up when buying collections may have been sent to the Goodwill. But the idea that dealers in the 1970s "threw out the books from the 60's because no one thought they would be worth anything" is preposterous.

You're both wrong, in a manner.

If you're going to suggest that NO DEALER ever threw out ANY 60's books because they were "worthless", you're wrong.

If Dan's going to suggest that EVERY dealer threw out EVERY 60's book because they were "worthless", he's wrong (but he actually didn't suggest that.)

The answer...as ever...lies in between. Did they throw out Amazing Spidermans? OF COURSE NOT. Did they throw out ratty copies of Lois Lane?

YES!

Since you both failed to make that distinction, I made it.

But Dan did NOT...and I can assure you this...mean to say ALL 60's books were tossed out by 70's dealers. Yes, I know that's what he said, but he certainly didn't mean "FF#1"

Fair enough?

The economics of collecting is a whole different issue than I have addressed.

If you want to focus on economics.....than no one should by any comic book, for any price (aside from the factors you mention) as they are in dollar denomintaed assets. The dollar is worth half of what it was in 2002. If your book(s) has doubled in price since than, inflation adjusted it is actually woth less (because you are not supposed to ignore the capital gains tax that you would pay on the inlated value of the book). Before taxes......comics have lost 20% of their value alone this year.

This a trend in the United States, in my opinion, that is permanent and structural in nature. For what it is worth, my professional background is in economics and finance (being an MBA, CPA and ex Wall Streeter)

But as I said...my focus this evening ignored the economics of collecting.

This statement is incorrect. The dollar, as compared to major international currencies, is worth half of what it was in '03. The dollar, in real dollar value adjusted for inflation, is NOT worth half of what it was worth in '03.

I don't want to get into a discusssion about economics all that much.....But comparing the dollar to a basket of global currencies is the correct and appropriate method to measure the dollar.

The inflation adjusted method, or index, released by the US Government is not a realistic measure. It is similar to the same type of goofy measure that Wall Street uses when they compare portfolio returns to the S & P index. Both fraudulent comparisons in my opinion because they ignore real pricing in a global market.

If you think it is useful, try using it as defense when then the price of oil (a global commodity in which the price is set by world markets, as reflected by "the basket" of currencies) goes to 200...$300 and higher as the dollar devalues.

You have it backwards. If you live in the U.S., the correct measure of the value of the dollar is in terms of U.S. prices. The price level is about 20 percent higher now than it was at the beginning of 2002. The price level is lower today than it was a year ago. That the value of the dollar has declined against the euro and other currencies is interesting if you happen to be a European comic collector buying from U.S. dealers (or, for that matter, a U.S. collector buying from European dealers), but otherwise is irrelevant to evaluating the value of U.S. comics to U.S. collectors. "But comparing the dollar to a basket of global currencies is the correct and appropriate method to measure the dollar." This statement makes no sense unless your local supermarkets, department stores, and services stations have started pricing in euros.

The "value" of the dollar to anyone living in the United States is determined by the amount of goods and services the dollar can buy, which is affected by the declining exchange value of the dollar only to the extent that the dollar price of imports rises.

Oil is currently at $78. It could go to $300, I suppose, because anything is possible. The chances of that happening within the next decade, though, are vanishingly small.

Lets agree to disagreee. One of us is missing the point and doesn't know it.

Let me finish with this...natural resources are a key ingredient in the factors of production. Natural resources are priced in the global market. Consequently, because the dollar has devalued so much, raw resources (commodities) have sky rocketed vs. a vs. the US dollar. The reason that most produced goods in the United States seem to have, at most, moderated to some extent, is because real wages are down, and productivity is up, which serves the purpose of masking the change in prices for raw materials. This will not continue to occur over the long run. It is a mathematical impossibility. This is the simple version as there are other things that occur which complicate these relatively basic concepts (that is as far I go here though).

Most products that are measured by the Goofy US price inflation index have components in them that reflect (intentionally, I might add) items that have high concentrations of depressed labor prices, and elements of productivity.

The dollar and real inflation (or dollar devaluation) would be completely exposed for what it is if it were compared to a basket of natural resources which everyone on the planet had to compete for.

As I said....it doesn't matter all that much if you never need to buy anything that isn't priced in the global market, such as oil, copper, zinc, coffee, or even concrete for builing, and on and on and on. But that's not the case, is it?

As long as Americans continue to work harder, and longer, for less money, the problem of inflation and the devaluation of the dollar wiil stay under the radar for most Americans, which has been illustraded, in my opinion, by the back and forth discussion here.

Agreeing to disagree is fine, but here are a couple of last points:

1. You seem to be buying into the notion that the price statistics compiled by the Bureau of Labor Statistics are somehow cooked for political reasons. Resist this idea because it is completely untrue. These statistics are compiled by career govt employees who have civil service protection. The economists who run the BLS are either career officials, who stick around from one administration to the next, or academic economists who hold their positions for a while and then return to colleges and universities. All of these people -- and I do mean all -- are doing the best they can to compile statistics that reflect the prices that the average consumer faces. For technical reasons, this is not an easy job. But anyone who argues that the numbers are fudged in any way for political reasons simply does not know what he is talking about.

2. Changes in the foreign exchange value of the dollar affect the domestic purchasing power of the dollar only through their effect on import prices. This is basic economics.

3. There have been swings in the foreign exchange value of the dollar comparable to those we are seeing today without the catastrophic effects on the U.S. price level that you seem to expect. Check out the 1980s, for example.

4. There is a pretty good argument to be made that on purchasing power parity grounds the dollar is currently undervalued, not overvalued, against the euro, British pound, Japanese yen, and Canadian dollar. (It is still pretty clearly overvalued against the Chinese yuan.) The current low value of the dollar is being driven by the extremely low level of U.S. interest rates compared to foreign interest rates. The main determinant of the demand for the dollar in the short run is the willingness of foreign investors to buy dollars to invest in dollar-denominated assets. At the height of the financial crisis there was a flight to safety by investors worldwide that temporarily masked the effects on the value of the dollar from low U.S. interest rates. Now that things have calmed down, investors are naturally enough showing a preference for higher-yielding assets denominated in foreign currencies. Eventually, though -- the futures markets are currently saying June of next year -- U.S. interest rates will rise, and with them the value of the dollar. So, on purchasing power grounds and given the most likely future movements in U.S. interest rates, the most likely movement in the foreign exchange value of the dollar is up rather than down.

Thus endth the sermon. :preach:

I don't think the CPI is very accurate (the rest of the world doesn't either), for reasons already discussed. I might feel differently if they included items such as college tuition, health insurance premiums and energy, etc. in their calculations.

While it is possible that the dollar can stabilize or strengthen (markets never move in straight lines)...I believe it is in an irreversible, downward spiral that is now out of control. Raising rates, which are being priced into futures contracts as you suggest (but even that changes month to month) will only weaken the US economy more. And it will certainly not prevent our government from engaging in the monetization of our debt (simply printing money to buy US debt back), something history has shown leads to the downfall of any economy with a fiat currency. If I thought the United States could stop montetizing it's debt (I don't...because the ""fat lady would not only stop singing", she'd drop dead on the spot of a heart attack.), I might feel differently. The main reason the downward spiral of the dollar is out of control is because Congress never pays the bills. They haven't paid the bills in almost 50 years as evidenced by the constantly growing federal debt. There is no evidence that they ever intend on paying any bill voluntarily (so the world does it involuntarily by devaluing the dollar). The rest of the world understands this because the dollar continues to get hammered. In my opinion, it really doesn't matter how, as an American, you want to measure inflation. As long as our country needs goods produced in other countries, or, needs to borrow money from foreign nations to finance it's debt (another practice that is being curtailed involuntarily, and, consequently, why the Federal Reserve doesn't haven't any choice now except to monetize it....or default), the value of our currency will always be determined by the global market place.

All that being said, we all have our opinions. It doesn't necessarily make any of us right or wrong.

One more time and then I will stop beating you up on this. In fact, college tuition and health insurance premiums both are included in the CPI. So is "energy," if by this you mean expenditures on gasoline, home heating oil, residential natural gas, and so on. I don't know what you mean by the "rest of the world" not believing the CPI is accurate. So far as I have ever heard, the U.S. BLS is respected around the world for doing an excellent job of determining the price level in the United States, given the (inevitable) budget constraints under which it must operate. I know of no informed argument that the statistical agencies of other countries do a markedly better job of measuring their price levels. The CPI is not perfect, but to argue that it somehow grossly misrepresents the price level in the United States is simply incorrect.

And, no, I don't work for the BLS, nor do any of my friends or relatives.

Apparently, you missed the post that started this off.

Hey, can we avoid this kind of comment? It does nothing to advance the discussion, and serves only to annoy.

You can safely assume that I've read and comprehended (to the best of my ability) EVERYTHING in a thread that I respond to, and I will assume the same for you. You're a smart guy, I'm a smart guy, so let's give each other credit, huh?

Fair enough?

ShowcaseNE argued that dealers in the 1970s dealt only in 1940s and 1950s books and threw out the 1960s books. Here is the quote: "The dealers in the 70"s started selling what was previously thought to be junk in the 40's and 50's, but still threw out the books from the 60"s because no one thought they would ever be worth anything." My point was that most dealers in the 1970s dealt in 1960s books -- it was their bread and butter; they were not throwing them out. Now, of course, ratty copies of common books picked up when buying collections may have been sent to the Goodwill. But the idea that dealers in the 1970s "threw out the books from the 60's because no one thought they would be worth anything" is preposterous.

You're both wrong, in a manner.

If you're going to suggest that NO DEALER ever threw out ANY 60's books because they were "worthless", you're wrong.

If Dan's going to suggest that EVERY dealer threw out EVERY 60's book because they were "worthless", he's wrong (but he actually didn't suggest that.)

The answer...as ever...lies in between. Did they throw out Amazing Spidermans? OF COURSE NOT. Did they throw out ratty copies of Lois Lane?

YES!

Since you both failed to make that distinction, I made it.

But Dan did NOT...and I can assure you this...mean to say ALL 60's books were tossed out by 70's dealers. Yes, I know that's what he said, but he certainly didn't mean "FF#1"

Fair enough?

I realize you aren't going to give this up without declaring victory, but he made an extreme statement and all I did was correct it. By 1965 it was clear to just about every serious collector and dealer that 1960s Marvels were valuable. I honestly don't think ShowcaseNE knew that. As I mentioned on another thread that you participated in, in my opinion it was the publication of early 1960s Marvels that got modern fandom as we know it going. Ratty Lois Lanes? Not so much.

But we all have probably said all we need to about this.

I realize you aren't going to give this up without declaring victory, but he made an extreme statement and all I did was correct it. By 1965 it was clear to just about every serious collector and dealer that 1960s Marvels were valuable. I honestly don't think ShowcaseNE knew that. As I mentioned on another thread that you participated in, in my opinion it was the publication of early 1960s Marvels that got modern fandom as we know it going. Ratty Lois Lanes? Not so much.

Dan's not an idiota, and he's been a major player in this industry for almost two decades. Silver Age, more than anything else, is what he knows. He was not making a definitive statement on the acitivities of 1970's comic book dealers, but a generalized statement in the context of a larger commentary.

If you wish to believe he didn't know that dealers did NOT throw out Marvel books in the 1970's...which most anyone who's ever picked up and read an Overstreet can figure out, much less a national dealer with 20 years experience...feel free. You'd be wrong, but that's your right.

I find it curious to be in the position of defending Daniel Greenhalgh, but I'll defend almost anybody who's been wrongly interepreted.

This isn't a contest, it's a discussion.

Thanks.

PS: Modern fandom was started prior to the publication of FF #1, by people like Jerry Bails and Roy Thomas specifically with regards to DC. If you think modern fandom owes itself entirely to Marvel, as I said in the other thread, you'd be wrong.

Wheres Flaming Telepath? I hear the guys raw grading and resto detection leave much to be desired.

OT: If he would answer questions I would have spent about 1K on his modern Tecs by now. But I refuse to pay for shipping on every single purchase. No combining irritates me. And if someone is willing to make an offer on 10 slabs, you should probably respond. (thumbs u

I will be watching anyways, but unlikely I will be buying. Have a large purchase coming up, and there will be no funny books for a looong time.

Dan's not an idiota, and he's been a major player in this industry for almost two decades. Silver Age, more than anything else, is what he knows. He was not making a definitive statement on the acitivities of 1970's comic book dealers, but a generalized statement in the context of a larger commentary.

If you wish to believe he didn't know that dealers did NOT throw out Marvel books in the 1970's...which most anyone who's ever picked up and read an Overstreet can figure out, much less a national dealer with 20 years experience...feel free. You'd be wrong, but that's your right.

I find it curious to be in the position of defending Daniel Greenhalgh, but I'll defend almost anybody who's been wrongly interepreted.

This isn't a contest, it's a discussion.

Thanks.

PS: Modern fandom was started prior to the publication of FF #1, by people like Jerry Bails and Roy Thomas specifically with regards to DC. If you think modern fandom owes itself entirely to Marvel, as I said in the other thread, you'd be wrong.

You know him and I don't, so I'll accept your understanding of what he meant to say, although he had a rather odd way of saying it. If you go back and read his whole post, I don't think the sentence I quoted was out of context. On the face of it, it seems to say that we now know something that dealers in the 1970s did not: That 1960s comics are valuable. His moral, as I understood it, was that we should be careful not to make that mistake again about the comics that he is apparently about to sell.

With respect to the history of fandom, I can't pretend to be an expert and I'm relying on my own memories of the 1960s, when I was quite young. While I understand that there were fans of DC, EC, and Golden Age comics, I don't think anything like the comic fandom that we knew in the 1960s and 1970s would have developed without the enthusiasm generated by the early Marvels. This is, of course, a difficult statement to substantiate because we can't rerun history without FF and ASM. It may well be that there are histories of fandom that would tell a different story. If so, I would like to be directed to them (I mean this seriously).

Wheres Flaming Telepath? I hear the guys raw grading and resto detection leave much to be desired.

OT: If he would answer questions I would have spent about 1K on his modern Tecs by now. But I refuse to pay for shipping on every single purchase. No combining irritates me. And if someone is willing to make an offer on 10 slabs, you should probably respond. (thumbs u

I will be watching anyways, but unlikely I will be buying. Have a large purchase coming up, and there will be no funny books for a looong time.

Like I said, I found it curious to be in the position of defending Dan Greenhalgh.

lol

Showcase,

Thank you, sir!

Isn't there free shipping on all of his items? Or are you trying to get a discount from the price because of quantities ordered? I have purchased numerous punishers from him, no response to my e-mails either. (shrug)

---------------

a shop owner would toss those ratty Lois Lanes in the 10 cent box I suppose..my LCS had one in 1976 as far as I can remember (that's as far back as I can remember). In fact, I have a 10 cent cover price House of Secrets I got out of the 10 cent box --- cover stapled back on, etc. and a couple of other DCs like that. I think by the late 70s that was the 5 for $1 box due to inflation.

a convention dealer might not have wanted to drag that kind of book around, true.

But anyone who argues that the numbers are fudged in any way for political reasons simply does not know what he is talking about.

---------------------

what goes into "inflation" was changed at some point during the Clinton administration in an effort to keep the inflation numbers looking good and to limit COLA increases of social security recipients, federal pensioners, etc. Bush II was happy to continue this. google "shadow inflation" or something like that and you'll see what I'm talking about. they simply changed the formula.

Man, you must not have been alive then because by 1965, nobody was throwing out any Marvel or DC.

---------------

kids reading them trashed them and they eventually wound up in the garbage. young men (mostly) went off to vietnam or college or a commune or canada and if they came back, mom or dad might have tossed their closet. if 10-20% of circulation survived it is still plenty of comics though. it's not like stuff from 1943, where almost all of it was tossed or pulped.

my uncle till this day says he had Action Comics #1 in his hands but his mother threw it out during the paper drive because of World War II. :sick:

my father saw action 1 on the newstand and thought the whole concept was totally idiotic. granted, he was about 14 or 15 at the time.