• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SNE to flood eBay with 13,000 slabs?

490 posts in this topic

The dealers in 1970s threw out the books from the 1960s?? Man, you must not have been alive then because by 1965, nobody was throwing out any Marvel or DC. Hell, books from the 1960s made up most of the business for dealers in the 1970s. Anything that people thought had the remotest chance of being another FF1, ASM1, of AF15 was stockpiled to the rafters. If everybody threw out 1960s books, why are there are so many post-1965 high grade books around?

Well....

That's true to an extent, but not entirely...

Remember, there were massive piles of books like Superboy floating around in the 1970's that NO one wanted. Keeping in mind that Superboy was the #2 selling book for at least a handful of years in the 1960's, there would be quite a bit that were tossed out because they took up too much space, and were worthless junk (and still are.)

And remember, this was the 70's, not the 90's. People still routinely threw out comics on a grand scale back then.

People, yeah; dealers, no. It is true that were a lot of DC that people didn't see as collectible -- Bob Hope, Jerry Lewis, Sugar and Spike, and so on -- but people weren't throwing out Superboy. They were available cheap, but they weren't being thrown out.

True, but "grade" was a foreign concept and so didn't matter.

]If I remember correctly...Marvel printed some 50 million books in the 60's.....so if the majority of them weren't destroyed...where are they?[/b]

And as the 70's and 80's go....in the early 90's we couldn't sell the tens of thousands (perhaps hundreds of thousands in total) to any one. In the early 90's we had 13 comic book stores within a 10 mile radius. I couldn't give them away, even to them

They all ended up in the dump.

No one denies that in the 1960s many people read comics and threw them away, lined bird cages with them, used them as coffee coasters and so on. Your point was that dealers in the 1970s saw only books from the 1940s and 1950s as having value and threw away books from the 1960s. Not to be argumentative, but that is simply untrue. As someone who bought and sold comics in the 1970s, read the adzines of the day, and attended conventions, I can tell you that exactly zero dealers had this opinion. Every dealer knew that 1960s books were valuable. For most dealers in the 1970s, 1960s Marvels were the bread and butter of their business (this was not true of every dealer, of course, because there were dealers who specialized in Golden Age books). Granted, nobody anticipated the huge run up in prices that was to come, but that is a different story.

The economics of collecting is a whole different issue than I have addressed.

If you want to focus on economics.....than no one should by any comic book, for any price (aside from the factors you mention) as they are in dollar denomintaed assets. The dollar is worth half of what it was in 2002. If your book(s) has doubled in price since than, inflation adjusted it is actually woth less (because you are not supposed to ignore the capital gains tax that you would pay on the inlated value of the book). Before taxes......comics have lost 20% of their value alone this year.

This a trend in the United States, in my opinion, that is permanent and structural in nature. For what it is worth, my professional background is in economics and finance (being an MBA, CPA and ex Wall Streeter)

But as I said...my focus this evening ignored the economics of collecting.

This statement is incorrect. The dollar, as compared to major international currencies, is worth half of what it was in '03. The dollar, in real dollar value adjusted for inflation, is NOT worth half of what it was worth in '03.

I don't want to get into a discusssion about economics all that much.....But comparing the dollar to a basket of global currencies is the correct and appropriate method to measure the dollar.

The inflation adjusted method, or index, released by the US Government is not a realistic measure. It is similar to the same type of goofy measure that Wall Street uses when they compare portfolio returns to the S & P index. Both fraudulent comparisons in my opinion because they ignore real pricing in a global market.

If you think it is useful, try using it as defense when then the price of oil (a global commodity in which the price is set by world markets, as reflected by "the basket" of currencies) goes to 200...$300 and higher as the dollar devalues.

You have it backwards. If you live in the U.S., the correct measure of the value of the dollar is in terms of U.S. prices. The price level is about 20 percent higher now than it was at the beginning of 2002. The price level is lower today than it was a year ago. That the value of the dollar has declined against the euro and other currencies is interesting if you happen to be a European comic collector buying from U.S. dealers (or, for that matter, a U.S. collector buying from European dealers), but otherwise is irrelevant to evaluating the value of U.S. comics to U.S. collectors. "But comparing the dollar to a basket of global currencies is the correct and appropriate method to measure the dollar." This statement makes no sense unless your local supermarkets, department stores, and services stations have started pricing in euros.

The "value" of the dollar to anyone living in the United States is determined by the amount of goods and services the dollar can buy, which is affected by the declining exchange value of the dollar only to the extent that the dollar price of imports rises.

Oil is currently at $78. It could go to $300, I suppose, because anything is possible. The chances of that happening within the next decade, though, are vanishingly small.

Lets agree to disagreee. One of us is missing the point and doesn't know it.

Let me finish with this...natural resources are a key ingredient in the factors of production. Natural resources are priced in the global market. Consequently, because the dollar has devalued so much, raw resources (commodities) have sky rocketed vs. a vs. the US dollar. The reason that most produced goods in the United States seem to have, at most, moderated to some extent, is because real wages are down, and productivity is up, which serves the purpose of masking the change in prices for raw materials. This will not continue to occur over the long run. It is a mathematical impossibility. This is the simple version as there are other things that occur which complicate these relatively basic concepts (that is as far I go here though).

Most products that are measured by the Goofy US price inflation index have components in them that reflect (intentionally, I might add) items that have high concentrations of depressed labor prices, and elements of productivity.

The dollar and real inflation (or dollar devaluation) would be completely exposed for what it is if it were compared to a basket of natural resources which everyone on the planet had to compete for.

As I said....it doesn't matter all that much if you never need to buy anything that isn't priced in the global market, such as oil, copper, zinc, coffee, or even concrete for builing, and on and on and on. But that's not the case, is it?

As long as Americans continue to work harder, and longer, for less money, the problem of inflation and the devaluation of the dollar wiil stay under the radar for most Americans, which has been illustraded, in my opinion, by the back and forth discussion here.

Agreeing to disagree is fine, but here are a couple of last points:

1. You seem to be buying into the notion that the price statistics compiled by the Bureau of Labor Statistics are somehow cooked for political reasons. Resist this idea because it is completely untrue. These statistics are compiled by career govt employees who have civil service protection. The economists who run the BLS are either career officials, who stick around from one administration to the next, or academic economists who hold their positions for a while and then return to colleges and universities. All of these people -- and I do mean all -- are doing the best they can to compile statistics that reflect the prices that the average consumer faces. For technical reasons, this is not an easy job. But anyone who argues that the numbers are fudged in any way for political reasons simply does not know what he is talking about.

2. Changes in the foreign exchange value of the dollar affect the domestic purchasing power of the dollar only through their effect on import prices. This is basic economics.

3. There have been swings in the foreign exchange value of the dollar comparable to those we are seeing today without the catastrophic effects on the U.S. price level that you seem to expect. Check out the 1980s, for example.

4. There is a pretty good argument to be made that on purchasing power parity grounds the dollar is currently undervalued, not overvalued, against the euro, British pound, Japanese yen, and Canadian dollar. (It is still pretty clearly overvalued against the Chinese yuan.) The current low value of the dollar is being driven by the extremely low level of U.S. interest rates compared to foreign interest rates. The main determinant of the demand for the dollar in the short run is the willingness of foreign investors to buy dollars to invest in dollar-denominated assets. At the height of the financial crisis there was a flight to safety by investors worldwide that temporarily masked the effects on the value of the dollar from low U.S. interest rates. Now that things have calmed down, investors are naturally enough showing a preference for higher-yielding assets denominated in foreign currencies. Eventually, though -- the futures markets are currently saying June of next year -- U.S. interest rates will rise, and with them the value of the dollar. So, on purchasing power grounds and given the most likely future movements in U.S. interest rates, the most likely movement in the foreign exchange value of the dollar is up rather than down.

Thus endth the sermon. :preach:

back to the value going forward of 80s book? put my vote down against any signifiant profits to be made. In simple supply and demand terms, there will be adequate supply of 9.6-9.8 copies of 99% of ALL books from this era to satisfy the reduced demand at such time that the old 30-year rule Showcase referenced earlier kicks in.

Its hard to grasp but, depending on the book (any keys will need more) all you will need is 250 - slabbed 500 copies in these grades to fill the need. THATS how small the run-collecting IN GRADE population is and will be

Its simply wrong to extrapolate from the GA SA and BA experiences with values (supply and demand) into the 80s, 90s and beyond. Without factoring in the constant increased public awareness that "Comics are worth MONEY" out there. And the rising graph of comics readers/collectors who actively preserved their books in the knowledge (hopes) that they would be worth money like the early GA and SA issues did.

Not to end with a bad analogy, but its like saying in 1900 that with cities growing and more people liking and affording horse and buggies that buggy whips sales will keep increasing. Technology )both CGC and the streaming web/media etc are changing comics collecting and teh 30 year rule cannot overcome the momentum away from all "scarcity" (and popular demand) of any comicbook produced after 1980.

Surely 80s books in spots will be harder tan 90s books by degree. And early 2000 books harder than 90s glut issues. But the reduced demand will balance the scales.

Good Morning!

The economics of collecting is a whole different issue than I have addressed.

If you want to focus on economics.....than no one should by any comic book, for any price (aside from the factors you mention) as they are in dollar denomintaed assets. The dollar is worth half of what it was in 2002. If your book(s) has doubled in price since than, inflation adjusted it is actually woth less (because you are not supposed to ignore the capital gains tax that you would pay on the inlated value of the book). Before taxes......comics have lost 20% of their value alone this year.

This a trend in the United States, in my opinion, that is permanent and structural in nature. For what it is worth, my professional background is in economics and finance (being an MBA, CPA and ex Wall Streeter)

But as I said...my focus this evening ignored the economics of collecting.

This statement is incorrect. The dollar, as compared to major international currencies, is worth half of what it was in '03. The dollar, in real dollar value adjusted for inflation, is NOT worth half of what it was worth in '03.

I don't want to get into a discusssion about economics all that much.....But comparing the dollar to a basket of global currencies is the correct and appropriate method to measure the dollar.

The inflation adjusted method, or index, released by the US Government is not a realistic measure. It is similar to the same type of goofy measure that Wall Street uses when they compare portfolio returns to the S & P index. Both fraudulent comparisons in my opinion because they ignore real pricing in a global market.

If you think it is useful, try using it as defense when then the price of oil (a global commodity in which the price is set by world markets, as reflected by "the basket" of currencies) goes to 200...$300 and higher as the dollar devalues.

You have it backwards. If you live in the U.S., the correct measure of the value of the dollar is in terms of U.S. prices. The price level is about 20 percent higher now than it was at the beginning of 2002. The price level is lower today than it was a year ago. That the value of the dollar has declined against the euro and other currencies is interesting if you happen to be a European comic collector buying from U.S. dealers (or, for that matter, a U.S. collector buying from European dealers), but otherwise is irrelevant to evaluating the value of U.S. comics to U.S. collectors. "But comparing the dollar to a basket of global currencies is the correct and appropriate method to measure the dollar." This statement makes no sense unless your local supermarkets, department stores, and services stations have started pricing in euros.

The "value" of the dollar to anyone living in the United States is determined by the amount of goods and services the dollar can buy, which is affected by the declining exchange value of the dollar only to the extent that the dollar price of imports rises.

Oil is currently at $78. It could go to $300, I suppose, because anything is possible. The chances of that happening within the next decade, though, are vanishingly small.

Lets agree to disagreee. One of us is missing the point and doesn't know it.

Let me finish with this...natural resources are a key ingredient in the factors of production. Natural resources are priced in the global market. Consequently, because the dollar has devalued so much, raw resources (commodities) have sky rocketed vs. a vs. the US dollar. The reason that most produced goods in the United States seem to have, at most, moderated to some extent, is because real wages are down, and productivity is up, which serves the purpose of masking the change in prices for raw materials. This will not continue to occur over the long run. It is a mathematical impossibility. This is the simple version as there are other things that occur which complicate these relatively basic concepts (that is as far I go here though).

Most products that are measured by the Goofy US price inflation index have components in them that reflect (intentionally, I might add) items that have high concentrations of depressed labor prices, and elements of productivity.

The dollar and real inflation (or dollar devaluation) would be completely exposed for what it is if it were compared to a basket of natural resources which everyone on the planet had to compete for.

As I said....it doesn't matter all that much if you never need to buy anything that isn't priced in the global market, such as oil, copper, zinc, coffee, or even concrete for builing, and on and on and on. But that's not the case, is it?

As long as Americans continue to work harder, and longer, for less money, the problem of inflation and the devaluation of the dollar wiil stay under the radar for most Americans, which has been illustraded, in my opinion, by the back and forth discussion here.

Agreeing to disagree is fine, but here are a couple of last points:

1. You seem to be buying into the notion that the price statistics compiled by the Bureau of Labor Statistics are somehow cooked for political reasons. Resist this idea because it is completely untrue. These statistics are compiled by career govt employees who have civil service protection. The economists who run the BLS are either career officials, who stick around from one administration to the next, or academic economists who hold their positions for a while and then return to colleges and universities. All of these people -- and I do mean all -- are doing the best they can to compile statistics that reflect the prices that the average consumer faces. For technical reasons, this is not an easy job. But anyone who argues that the numbers are fudged in any way for political reasons simply does not know what he is talking about.

2. Changes in the foreign exchange value of the dollar affect the domestic purchasing power of the dollar only through their effect on import prices. This is basic economics.

3. There have been swings in the foreign exchange value of the dollar comparable to those we are seeing today without the catastrophic effects on the U.S. price level that you seem to expect. Check out the 1980s, for example.

4. There is a pretty good argument to be made that on purchasing power parity grounds the dollar is currently undervalued, not overvalued, against the euro, British pound, Japanese yen, and Canadian dollar. (It is still pretty clearly overvalued against the Chinese yuan.) The current low value of the dollar is being driven by the extremely low level of U.S. interest rates compared to foreign interest rates. The main determinant of the demand for the dollar in the short run is the willingness of foreign investors to buy dollars to invest in dollar-denominated assets. At the height of the financial crisis there was a flight to safety by investors worldwide that temporarily masked the effects on the value of the dollar from low U.S. interest rates. Now that things have calmed down, investors are naturally enough showing a preference for higher-yielding assets denominated in foreign currencies. Eventually, though -- the futures markets are currently saying June of next year -- U.S. interest rates will rise, and with them the value of the dollar. So, on purchasing power grounds and given the most likely future movements in U.S. interest rates, the most likely movement in the foreign exchange value of the dollar is up rather than down.

Thus endth the sermon. :preach:

I don't think the CPI is very accurate (the rest of the world doesn't either), for reasons already discussed. I might feel differently if they included items such as college tuition, health insurance premiums and energy, etc. in their calculations.

While it is possible that the dollar can stabilize or strengthen (markets never move in straight lines)...I believe it is in an irreversible, downward spiral that is now out of control. Raising rates, which are being priced into futures contracts as you suggest (but even that changes month to month) will only weaken the US economy more. And it will certainly not prevent our government from engaging in the monetization of our debt (simply printing money to buy US debt back), something history has shown leads to the downfall of any economy with a fiat currency. If I thought the United States could stop montetizing it's debt (I don't...because the ""fat lady would not only stop singing", she'd drop dead on the spot of a heart attack.), I might feel differently. The main reason the downward spiral of the dollar is out of control is because Congress never pays the bills. They haven't paid the bills in almost 50 years as evidenced by the constantly growing federal debt. There is no evidence that they ever intend on paying any bill voluntarily (so the world does it involuntarily by devaluing the dollar). The rest of the world understands this because the dollar continues to get hammered. In my opinion, it really doesn't matter how, as an American, you want to measure inflation. As long as our country needs goods produced in other countries, or, needs to borrow money from foreign nations to finance it's debt (another practice that is being curtailed involuntarily, and, consequently, why the Federal Reserve doesn't haven't any choice now except to monetize it....or default), the value of our currency will always be determined by the global market place.

All that being said, we all have our opinions. It doesn't necessarily make any of us right or wrong.

Hopefully, they'll put all the modern drek in the correct category. Every time they have a massive CGC listing on ebay, they always put the modern drek in the silver-age category. I would have to go through an extra 20 or so pages of their modern drek just see the other people's CGC'd silver-age books.

(worship) - i actually put them on list of non approved sellers for this reason. i'd rather miss out on a couple of books than to have to wade thru 100's of books listed in the wrong category.

The dealers in 1970s threw out the books from the 1960s?? Man, you must not have been alive then because by 1965, nobody was throwing out any Marvel or DC. Hell, books from the 1960s made up most of the business for dealers in the 1970s. Anything that people thought had the remotest chance of being another FF1, ASM1, of AF15 was stockpiled to the rafters. If everybody threw out 1960s books, why are there are so many post-1965 high grade books around?

Well....

That's true to an extent, but not entirely...

Remember, there were massive piles of books like Superboy floating around in the 1970's that NO one wanted. Keeping in mind that Superboy was the #2 selling book for at least a handful of years in the 1960's, there would be quite a bit that were tossed out because they took up too much space, and were worthless junk (and still are.)

And remember, this was the 70's, not the 90's. People still routinely threw out comics on a grand scale back then.

People, yeah; dealers, no. It is true that were a lot of DC that people didn't see as collectible -- Bob Hope, Jerry Lewis, Sugar and Spike, and so on -- but people weren't throwing out Superboy. They were available cheap, but they weren't being thrown out.

Based on the habits of dealers I've known over the past 20 years, I'm going to have to disagree with that one. no dealer, except perhaps Chuck, has unlimited space, and I've watched dealers chuck cases of low value, unwanted books.

If you're a dealer in the 70's, and you are buying a "collection" that is too big for you to process, and you're paying 10 cents/100, you're going to toss out the Fair copies of the junk that just wouldn't sell. This was, naturally, when most dealers were NOT retailers, and couldn't afford to sit on stock, either for financial reasons, or simple space reasons, or both.

I guarantee you, Chuckles himself threw out 60's books. Oh, sure, not Spidey or FF...but Sgt. Furys, Superboys, Loiis Lanes...you bet.

]If I remember correctly...Marvel printed some 50 million books in the 60's.....so if the majority of them weren't destroyed...where are they?[/b]

And as the 70's and 80's go....in the early 90's we couldn't sell the tens of thousands (perhaps hundreds of thousands in total) to any one. In the early 90's we had 13 comic book stores within a 10 mile radius. I couldn't give them away, even to them

They all ended up in the dump.

No one denies that in the 1960s many people read comics and threw them away, lined bird cages with them, used them as coffee coasters and so on. Your point was that dealers in the 1970s saw only books from the 1940s and 1950s as having value and threw away books from the 1960s. Not to be argumentative, but that is simply untrue. As someone who bought and sold comics in the 1970s, read the adzines of the day, and attended conventions, I can tell you that exactly zero dealers had this opinion. Every dealer knew that 1960s books were valuable. For most dealers in the 1970s, 1960s Marvels were the bread and butter of their business (this was not true of every dealer, of course, because there were dealers who specialized in Golden Age books). Granted, nobody anticipated the huge run up in prices that was to come, but that is a different story.

You're not seriously suggesting that NO dealer in the 1970's...especially the early 1970's...never threw away books that were, at the time, more costly to store and lug around than to sell, are you?

As Namisgr said, "grade" was a young and undeveloped concept, but anyone can tell the value of a rag that is falling to pieces because it's been read so much...and happens to be Superboy #148.

Again...no one is suggesting that anyone threw anything but the rattiest copies of Spidey, FF, Avengers, et al, but Lois Lane #77? A book they MIGHT be able to sell for 1-2 cents at most? (and even in 1970's dollars, 1-2 cents is squat.)

Showcase,

What day are the auctions starting?

If you have any Deadpool or GI Joe books in there... or even Marvel 2099 titles... you have my money!

Some of us enjoy collecting the books from our youth (thumbs u

Well, that depends on the price, doesn't it? I mean, if they're all $100, you won't, right? ;)

Don't most of us enjoy collecting the books from our youth (even those of us who didn't buy them as youths)...?

Showcase,

If you have any Deadpool or GI Joe books in there... or even Marvel 2099 titles... you have my money!

Well, that depends on the price, doesn't it? I mean, if they're all $100, you won't, right? ;)

Don't most of us enjoy collecting the books from our youth (even those of us who didn't buy them as youths)...?

Fixed price format......most are 45 to $50. The average is $65 with some books being more.

Showcase,

Fixed price format......most are 45 to $50. The average is $65 with some books being more.

I will check them out. maybe I will pick up a CGC 9.8 for myself as a Christmas present.

Showcase,

Any Golden Age?

Wow... epic quote function fail.....

ahh dam alcohol making me mess up quotes. this is the second time you've busted me for this fk up today :o

What time did you start drinking???

:o

-slym ( lol )

Canucks game started @ 530 I started at 330 :/

You'll have to drink alot to watch the Canucks. :baiting:

Showcase,

Dan.... please note the question in bold lettering. :grin:

Showcase,

Dan.... please note the question in bold lettering. :grin:

The Friday Before Thanksgiving......There are mutiples of many of the books.....so there won't be 13,000 individual listings.

Man, you must not have been alive then because by 1965, nobody was throwing out any Marvel or DC.

---------------

kids reading them trashed them and they eventually wound up in the garbage. young men (mostly) went off to vietnam or college or a commune or canada and if they came back, mom or dad might have tossed their closet. if 10-20% of circulation survived it is still plenty of comics though. it's not like stuff from 1943, where almost all of it was tossed or pulped.

13,000 comics....I wonder how many of each issue is represented? I don't think it kills the market, but I wouldn't list anything like this for a about a month. 3 or 4 9.8s of any given mainstream issue going on sale won't make them worthless, but it will eliminate the potential participants in any bidding war.

Man, you must not have been alive then because by 1965, nobody was throwing out any Marvel or DC.

---------------

kids reading them trashed them and they eventually wound up in the garbage. young men (mostly) went off to vietnam or college or a commune or canada and if they came back, mom or dad might have tossed their closet. if 10-20% of circulation survived it is still plenty of comics though. it's not like stuff from 1943, where almost all of it was tossed or pulped.

my uncle till this day says he had Action Comics #1 in his hands but his mother threw it out during the paper drive because of World War II. :sick:

my uncle till this day says he had Action Comics #1 in his hands but his mother threw it out during the paper drive because of World War II. :sick:

They all say that. Just like all 65 Million baby Boomers were at Woodstock. :ohnoez: