• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

When you put a $10,000 1 carat diamond against a $500 1 carat diamond, you can SEE a substantial difference, in clarity, in color, in (lack of) flaws...it's fairly obvious.

But if you were to crack this book out and lay it side by side with 10 also-cracked strong 9.8s, who would be able to find the 9.9? Where's the $12,000 difference in quality?

And here's the pièce de résistance...that book could go back through CGC and easily get a 9.8...or it could get a 10.

So what has the buyer bought? What value for his money has he obtained?

And please don't say "yeah, well, he could go spend $10,000,000 on a Honda Civic, so there!"...he COULD...and I doubt the lot owner would turn him down...but he wouldn't have to. Same example here. Prior to CGC, this never would have happened. If CGC didn't exist, this never would have happened. It is only because of what the label says....and not any actual, quantifiable difference in quality of the item inside the case....that garnered the difference.

And should we really be encouraging the idea that it's the label that is important, and not the book inside....?

I'm going to feel dirty in the morning, but...

:applause:

there is a water cooler for non-topic posts,just in case you 5+ year vets didn't know.

And you've been here long enough to know that a thread ain't nothing unless it's had at least three attempted derailments. :baiting:

Actually, looking at this pic makes me want to change your use of the word "derailment" and use instead the (faux) word 'deNAILment' :angel:

I really only have 2 questions for the buyer of this NM 98 9.9

1. Do you know what pressing is?

2. Do you know what SCS is?

{insert "Oh, no, not this shit again.gif}

I want to grope your stumpy appendages.

xoxo

greggy

When you put a $10,000 1 carat diamond against a $500 1 carat diamond, you can SEE a substantial difference, in clarity, in color, in (lack of) flaws...it's fairly obvious.

But if you were to crack this book out and lay it side by side with 10 also-cracked strong 9.8s, who would be able to find the 9.9? Where's the $12,000 difference in quality?

And here's the pièce de résistance...that book could go back through CGC and easily get a 9.8...or it could get a 10.

So what has the buyer bought? What value for his money has he obtained?

And please don't say "yeah, well, he could go spend $10,000,000 on a Honda Civic, so there!"...he COULD...and I doubt the lot owner would turn him down...but he wouldn't have to. Same example here. Prior to CGC, this never would have happened. If CGC didn't exist, this never would have happened. It is only because of what the label says....and not any actual, quantifiable difference in quality of the item inside the case....that garnered the difference.

And should we really be encouraging the idea that it's the label that is important, and not the book inside....?

I'm going to feel dirty in the morning, but...

:applause:

Embrace the horror, F_T

I feel that both are valid questions. If the buyer is well-versed in both...I would consider them an informed consumer.

I know it's hard to believe, but my post was not meant to be inflammatory in any way.

Sigh.

The label is as important as the book to some.

Which is the utter stupidity of it all.

Name one other product where the wrapping is more important than the goods?

hey, to keep it local for you...Harrods wraps a mean gift hm

Sigh.

Some wines qualify. Price performing brands are often much more pleasing (to my pedestrian palate) than far more expensive vintages - grape to grape.

I feel that both are valid questions. If the buyer is well-versed in both...I would consider them an informed consumer.

I know it's hard to believe, but my post was not meant to be inflammatory in any way.

Both of your points are quite salient, Chris, no doubt about that. But I am still feeling a little pressing overload.

Sigh.

That's nonsense - the buyer is paying for both an appraisal of the condition of a physical comic book from a company that's considered the standard within our industry & the physical comic book itself; he's not paying $12k for just an empty plastic shell with "9.9" written in the top-left corner.

And how is that different than any of the comic book sales that happen on this board, on ebay, in comic stores across the land? If a seller thinks a book is a 9.2, he prices it lower than he would a 9.4 - and if a buyer is presented with a 9.4 book, they're willing to pay more than they would for a 9.2 book.

And how is that different than any of the comic book sales that happen on this board, on ebay, in comic stores across the land? If a seller thinks a book is a 9.2, he prices it lower than he would a 9.4 - and if a buyer is presented with a 9.4 book, they're willing to pay more than they would for a 9.2 book.

I think the difference is that it would take a Brobdingnagian set of nuts to try and get 12k for that book under any other set of circumstances.

Sigh.

That's nonsense - the buyer is paying for both an appraisal of the condition of a physical comic book from a company that's considered the standard within our industry & the physical comic book itself; he's not paying $12k for just an empty plastic shell with "9.9" written in the top-left corner.

In this case, the book is almost valueless...but the big 9.9 says it's 'worth' $12,500.

BTW, the 'appraisal' is only twenty or so bucks. And that appraisal will differ day to day...just look at the number of grade changes that occur on resub with no work having been undertaken.

If there was an empirical way of determining a grade...a fool-proof quantative method...I would have a little more understanding.

As it stands, though...utter stupidity.

Sigh.

Yes, it is "stupid" but I can think of others

luxury cars like Jaguars where qualities are near the bottom with a great body/exterior and high ticket prices? Just throwing it out there since I always love that brand but always read about the bad qualities.."If you have money to throw at that car, who cares about quality?" I heard that line on just about many high end luxury car owners that don't care about wasting countless hours and money at the shop. Maybe my analogy is way off since I am a simple guy when it comes to car. I care to get from point A to B and that is about it. I work at home so I don't cruise around town showing off my ride or insecure enough to fish for compliments on my car.

wrapping or brand or whatever you call it...there are such things that are utterly stupid for most of us and perfectly "reasonable" for a minority.

wouldn't the world be real boring if we all think and agree on everything?....hmmmm...unless you all want to be assimilate like the BORG heh?

Edited by etanick

lol You just got me pizzed off and I'm the wrong person to pizz off. Trust me, you don't want me as an enemy. Guess fixing cars over the years has finally gotten to your brain. Your wannabe smart posts do not impress me. No wonder no one likes you here. You think you know it all or try and act as if you do when in reality you know nothing. Stop it before you cause whatever rep you have left further damage. I wish I could write more, but I'm too busy making money unlike some people...

Danny seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm not trying to wannabe anybody. I'm also not here just to make friends, and if I have to lie to myself or try to act like somebody to make friends, well I don't want them as friends.

I will vehemently defend to the death what I believe to be true.

I said this to you before personally Roy...to what end and for what purpose? You've said yourself that you don't have a stake in this horse and I'm pretty sure the buyer didn't hire you to be his Spokesman, so why continue on? If 99% of the boards feels it wasn't the smartest purchase in the world, it probably wasn't, so why continue fighting?

Jim

lol You just got me pizzed off and I'm the wrong person to pizz off. Trust me, you don't want me as an enemy. Guess fixing cars over the years has finally gotten to your brain. Your wannabe smart posts do not impress me. No wonder no one likes you here. You think you know it all or try and act as if you do when in reality you know nothing. Stop it before you cause whatever rep you have left further damage. I wish I could write more, but I'm too busy making money unlike some people...

I'm not trying to wannabe anybody. I'm also not here just to make friends, and if I have to lie to myself or try to act like somebody to make friends, well I don't want them as friends.

I said this to you before personally Roy...to what end and for what purpose? You've said yourself that you don't have a stake in this horse and I'm pretty sure the buyer didn't hire you to be his Spokesman, so why continue on? If 99% of the boards feels it wasn't the smartest purchase in the world, it probably wasn't, so why continue fighting?

Jim

The voice of reason :cloud9:

Jim

Jim, my points of discussion were not about whether it was a smart purchase or not. I was focused on two points throughout this thread: respect towards the buyer and defending CGC's ability to see a difference between a 9.9 and a 9.8. Smart purchase is relative when we are talking about spending money on funny books and in the end every collector who spends big bucks on books will justify their purchase to themselves in some way.

If you read my posts in this thread I was having a discussion with Sean and RMA about these two points when I finally decided that I was going to drop the discussion....until Danny decided to throw a few posts in my direction.

Back on topic: I think that CGC could be the next bubble to burst in the comics industry. At some point people paying premiums for high grade moderns (maybe high grade Silver, Bronze, and Copper(grails like Tec 27 and AF 15 excluded))are going to get burned when their books plummet (kinda like the 90s foil embossed bagged variants with special Erik Larsen signed glow in the dark hologram cover with special commemorative pog) in value. The likelihood of that happening with 9.9s and 10.0s seems to be the least likely as long as they're hard to find and highly desirable.

Isn't that what JC predicts pretty much every year?

Maybe we're seeing it now with the soft market? I'm not sure who JC is though, maybe I'm familiar with him...and don't realize it.

Gee, you think the soft market has anything to do with the economy? The small amount of selling I do is fairly brisk. I am not getting GPA records on every sale, but I am within 10% of GPA most of the time.

Next thing you know people will be preaching the banking and housing markets are going to crash.

I wasn't preaching anything. It was just a thought and for you to unload on it as if I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for thinking it is uncalled for.

The small amount of selling you do...how much of that is non-key non-high grade?