• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

Let's not go crazy -- the price is ridiculous. I would never pay it. But it's not the end of the world either nor the collecting world. If the person has the money to spend and wants this "best" copy, then they are obviously willing to pay for it.

Should it happen? Not in my opinion, but I can't buy into "with all the problems in the world" argument Nick, because if we go down that line of logic, we shouldn't be spending any money on comics because it's all too much in relativity to people's more significant problems.

oh, look. relativity.

I know this has been discussed in the Pedigree Comics auction thread, but, seriously, this atrocity sale deserves to be pilloried highlighted in its own thread for posterity:

New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 Sells for $12,250

I don't know whether to :roflmao: or :cry: because the little bit of faith in humanity I had left has been ripped to shreds. :eek:

As someone once said there is a sucker born every minute :makepoint:

Let's not go crazy -- the price is ridiculous. I would never pay it. But it's not the end of the world either nor the collecting world. If the person has the money to spend and wants this "best" copy, then they are obviously willing to pay for it.

Should it happen? Not in my opinion, but I can't buy into "with all the problems in the world" argument Nick, because if we go down that line of logic, we shouldn't be spending any money on comics because it's all too much in relativity to people's more significant problems.

Brian, no matter how rich you might become, could you ever justify to yourself spending that sort of money on this book? Could you sleep at night if you did?

I certainly couldn't. Seems to me there's a lot of folk who know the price of everything and the value of nothing. :(

I'm sure that somebody paying $1000 for a modern (and there are lots of them for sale in the selling forum) is no different than someone paying $10,000 for a modern.

It's all ridiculous to society.

I want to see these examples you're referring to, Roy. :popcorn:

:roflmao:

Nick, my point is where do you draw the line as to what is an acceptable price and what isn't?

The line is in a different spot for every person depending on how deep their pockets are and what their perspective of the hobby is.

There are 100's of sales every year where people wretch at prices and they just continue to happen.

Some prices, in hindsight are good investments, and some are not.

When Wolverine Limited #1 in CGC 10.0 sold for $4000 that shook people up quite a bit. 6 years later a second copy surfaces and sells for $15,000.

Who knows what the future holds?

Nobody. That's why every new record price in comics is mocked with scorn.

Relativism.

It's what's for dinner.

At the Delic household.

Every Frickin' day. :golfclap:

Hey, every Frickin' year and every Frickin' decade, there are people selling comics for record prices and there are people buying them.

Every Frickin' year and every Frickin' decade, there are people being made fun of for buying those comics at record prices.

You take a swipe at me because you say my argument is relative. You take a swipe at buyers because you call them fools just as they have been called fools for years. I am telling you that over the past 5 decades, even 6 decades, if you had been buying comics at record prices you wouldn't be laughing at these people now. You'd be selling to them.

Instead of taking a swipe at me and my discussion, why don't you tell me where you can safely draw a line and say "this is a safe price to pay for a comic" and why you would draw it there because I know you are a conservative person, and I know you know how to use your words to explain yourself so that line must be well defined for you.

Nick, my point is where do you draw the line as to what is an acceptable price and what isn't?

The line is in a different spot for every person depending on how deep their pockets are and what their perspective of the hobby is.

There are 100's of sales every year where people wretch at prices and they just continue to happen.

When Wolverine Limited #1 in CGC 10.0 sold for $4000 that shook people up quite a bit. 6 years later a second copy surfaces and sells for $15,000.

, Roy, let's not rock the money boat, eh?

What would it have sold for if it was a 10?

25k, 30k?

Human stupidity knows no bounds. What is stupid here is that NOBODY could pick out the one 9.9 out of 100 lot of 9.8 books. That's why it really is kind of dumb.

Jim

And by the time it's shipped out, this one's likely to be a 9.8 anyway. :screwy:

, Roy, let's not rock the money boat, eh?

You can rock the money boat all you want. Just use logic and reason and not emotion. Just like Sean, I know you have a pretty good grasp of the English vocab. so instead of swiping at all of humanity with cuss words and hyperbola why don't you explain why exactly you think the buyer (or several of them) shouldn't spend big money on comics.

Then explain to me (just like I asked Sean) how much and why you think is too much to spend on a book.

And please remember that you yourself owned $50,000 in comics at one time (or that was the figure I remembered you use years ago) cause $50,000 can go a long way to helping somebody out.

It's all relative folks.

Relativism.

It's what's for dinner.

At the Delic household.

Hey, every Frickin' year and every Frickin' decade, there are people selling comics for record prices and there are people buying them.

Every Frickin' year and every Frickin' decade, there are people being made fun of for buying those comics at record prices.

You take a swipe at me because you say my argument is relative. You take a swipe at buyers because you call them fools just as they have been called fools for years. I am telling you that over the past 5 decades, even 6 decades, if you had been buying comics at record prices you wouldn't be laughing at these people now. You'd be selling to them.

Instead of taking a swipe at me and my discussion, why don't you tell me where you can safely draw a line and say "this is a safe price to pay for a comic" and why you would draw it there because I know you are a conservative person, and I know you know how to use your words to explain yourself so that line must be well defined for you.

You'll have a hard time finding a post from me from deriding anyone's buying habits.

My post has nothing to do with the comics. Everyone can spend whatever they want on whatever they want. I remain convinced that if the thread had been about baby-eating pumas plaguing the American midwest, somewhere in the thread would be post from you about the importance of pumas in the circle of life.

I would like to make some sort of wager that the sale wasn't paid for by a legit buyer.

Why do you need that wager? The board member that sold the book will let everyone know.

It's a slippery slope to be sure, but taking the time to reflect on our materialistic ways every now and again can't hurt. For 's sake, the difference in price between a 9.8 and a 9.9 is more than 60%+ of the world's population will make in an entire decade of working 12 hour days. It's sad. The least we could all do is acknowledge our obscene behavior from time to time.

I don't know anyone who isn't a relativist to one degree or another.

This quote f-ing rules.

In a Savant sort of way.

or even Cervantes.

Relativism.

It's what's for dinner.

At the Delic household.

You'll have a hard time finding a post from me from deriding anyone's buying habits.

My post has nothing to do with the comics. Everyone can spend whatever they want on whatever they want. I remain convinced that if the thread had been about baby-eating pumas plaguing the American midwest, somewhere in the thread would be post from you about the importance of pumas in the circle of life.

I remain convinced that if a thread about Roy, for Roy, towards Roy was started, somewhere in the thread would be someone telling Roy he was wrong, talking about Roy.

Further, I thought that in a pluralistic society, we were supposed to have more respect for each other's worldviews, but what I see a hellalot of on here is good old boy posturing to maintain groupthink at some member's expense.